Can a USB cable go bad?

Discussion in 'Peripherals' started by TrailerParkKing, Dec 27, 2003.

1. TrailerParkKing

TrailerParkKing Senior member

Just looking for a little input here since I can't seem to figure this one out.

I bought a Sony Mavica CD400 camera and was using the supplied USB cable to download the photos from the cd to my computer. After getting sick of snaking behind my cpu every time I wanted to hook it up I decided to connect my front USB cables. Well It looks like I may have misread the manual and had the connectors flipped backwards on the motherboard (possibly). So when i plugged the camera in to the front ports it went to the normal screen on the camera lcd letting me know it was connecting but then left the screen and went to the viewer just like the cable wasn't connected. Also the computer didn't recognize the camera either. So, figuring that I must have connected something wrong I unplugged it, and plugged it into the back ports.... still not recognizing the camera, although it should be noted that the camera is detecting the connection, even though it doesn't show up in device manager.

Is it possible that the cable has gone bad somehow or am i just in need of a reset on the camera?

Any suggetions are appreciated.

***it should be noted that since the last time I used the camera via USB I had installed software for a Toshiba digital camera as well. The system will still recognize the toshiba in the device manager, but won't recognize the sony. Any chance I have a driver conflict?

TIA

2. ScrapSilicon

ScrapSilicon Lifer

by hooking up to wrong header outs for the front usb ports..very possible(as there are voltages involved however slight) to have fried something internally in the camera :( ..can't take the CD out of the camera and pull the files off using a reg. cdrom ..?

3. TrailerParkKing

TrailerParkKing Senior member

I can pull the disc out and pull images from the disc but I am hopeful that the cable is only bad since the camera still senses the cable attached. I ordered a new one since the prior owner had tied the cable in a knot in two places around some sort of magnetized filter or something.

We will see. Thanks for your imput!

4. Mday

Mday Lifer

that's a ferrite choke, and it came that way. dont blame the previous user =P