Can a store simply refuse to sell you something?

nycxandy

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
Barring any state or federal age requirements for such an item, can a store refuse to sell you something? Is it even legal?

LeiZaK

Diamond Member
May 25, 2005
Yes

edit: Ever read that sign: "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone."?

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
If you're a white asshvle you can be refused. If you're a [insert color here] asshvle you can sue for being refused.

Toastedlightly

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2004
Originally posted by: mercanucaribe
I don't know but I do know they can't refuse to sell based on race, religion, or sex.

IIRC, if they are privately owned, I am not sure if it is illegal. Lemmie look up on this.

BlancoNino

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2005
I don't know but I do know they can't refuse to sell based on race, religion, or sex.

So in reality "We reserve the right to refuse service to ANYBODY" isn't really a right anymore.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
it is a private business, what are you going to do about it? you can't call the cops

i guess you can sue them :laugh:

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
the country club I used to work at wouldnt allow colored people and jews. There was a waiting list, so im not sure whether they refused service, or simply "forgot" to put them on the list...

herkulease

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
I guess it depends. What's the reason for not selling you the item? that not race, sex that sort of stuff.

2Xtreme21

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2004
As long as the institution doesn't receive anything in the form of Federal Financial Aid, they are free to provide service, and not provide service, to whoever they damn well please.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
In reality, the way things are going, the only people who can be denied service are non-lactating white Christian males in perfect health.

Which is a damn shame. A private business should be able to refuse service to anyone they please.

Think about it: Why would you want to do business with anyone who doesn't want to do business with you?

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006

Yeah they can. It's not illegal for private businesses to discrimnate. It just isn't very smart business.

dudeman007

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2004
Originally posted by: bignateyk
the country club I used to work at wouldnt allow colored people and jews.

That's fvcked up :/

You'd think the world would have matured a little more by now.

episodic

Lifer
Feb 7, 2004
I never understood this either. Supposedly, you can refuse service but you can't refuse service to who you want to refuse service. . .For instance, lets say I was a business owner and some kids gave me grief - if I banned them could I be sued saying it was because they were whatever?

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: dudeman007
the country club I used to work at wouldnt allow colored people and jews.

That's fvcked up :/

You'd think the world would have matured a little more by now.

There are plenty of country clubs that still do this. Even more that don't allow women.

hypn0tik

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2005
the country club I used to work at wouldnt allow colored people and jews. There was a waiting list, so im not sure whether they refused service, or simply "forgot" to put them on the list...

Edit: Oops, wanted to reply but decided not to. Sorry. I guess I hit reply instead of cancel.

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
Originally posted by: 2Xtreme21
As long as the institution doesn't receive anything in the form of Federal Financial Aid, they are free to provide service, and not provide service, to whoever they damn well please.

Not true, only PRIVATE establishments, not businesses open to the public thanks to the Civil Rights Act.:
Both federal and state laws prohibit businesses from denying public accommodation to citizens on the basis of race, color, religion or national original. The Federal Civil Rights Act guarantees all people the right to "full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin."

Link

episodic

Lifer
Feb 7, 2004
On the subject of a club only allowing men - why shouldn't that be ok? If I want to start a private business that caters to men only - what is the problem? Women are free to start a girl's club.