Can a poodle survive 34 degree weather

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: KLin
So did the poodle die?

no, the nerd at the computer saw it. it was trying to escape to the neighbor's

Papagayo

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2003
If you find it in the morning and it doesn't move, then it's probably frozen..

RaiderJ

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
My parents have a poodle and it does fine outside and we live in Alaska. Granted it doesn't stay out all night, but I think it would be fine if something happened. It's about 9lbs and has a full coat.

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Yes, it will be fine, as long as it's not shaved. 34f is not that cold.

My dogs spend 99% of their time outside. They made it just fine through 5f nights last week (with shelter).

I have a Rotty mix and a Pitbull mix.

Xyo II

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 2005
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
Meh, let them make fun. Poodles are good dogs. Sure, they get mixed in with that foo-foo crowd, but they're loyal, playful, and very smart.

Absolutely. They were originally bred as hunting dogs, and they make great pets. My family has a miniature poodle and now three standard poodles- our oldest standard is about 2 years old, and absolutely huge, but they are all playful.

chrisms

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2003
Originally posted by: Xyo II
Meh, let them make fun. Poodles are good dogs. Sure, they get mixed in with that foo-foo crowd, but they're loyal, playful, and very smart.

Absolutely. They were originally bred as hunting dogs, and they make great pets. My family has a miniature poodle and now three standard poodles- our oldest standard is about 2 years old, and absolutely huge, but they are all playful.

And they sure are delicious. Some olive oil, salt and pepper, a hot grill... yum.

BillGates

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2001
It'd probably survive outside for a long time with no problems....but somebody would probably kick it within minutes, so the overall outlook is grim.

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
if it was an adult dog with a full could it should have been fine.

BigPoppa

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Contrary to popular belief, dogs did used to live in the great outdoors. We let our dogs sleep inside during the winter, but they are still outside for a lot of the time. Add to the fact that I'm in Montana and it can get down to -20F and lower. Dogs are smart. They find a way to stay warm, just like you would.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: BigPoppa
Contrary to popular belief, dogs did used to live in the great outdoors. We let our dogs sleep inside during the winter, but they are still outside for a lot of the time. Add to the fact that I'm in Montana and it can get down to -20F and lower. Dogs are smart. They find a way to stay warm, just like you would.

probably depends on the breed. some breeds have much thicker fur than others. not every dogs a husky;) double coat semi water proof meh

34 is pretty cold....

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
Originally posted by: pulse8
You forgot ugly as all hell. ;)
Poodle

It's not a very ugly dog. There are plenty of others that are worse. What are those crappy dogs called, pomeranians? :shudder: Those things suck.

Stop lying to yourself. That dog is UGLY.

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
Originally posted by: tfinch2
Originally posted by: pulse8
You forgot ugly as all hell. ;)
Poodle

It's not a very ugly dog. There are plenty of others that are worse. What are those crappy dogs called, pomeranians? :shudder: Those things suck.

Stop lying to yourself. That dog is UGLY.

pic from 1987.

I wouldn't call him ugly :p. I miss Pee-Wee :(.

Cvert

Jan 3, 2020
Why do people have to be such ASS HATS?? What a sad world we live in when a really sad and scared person is very upset at the loss of a practically family member. So much so that they take to social media to ask questions. And there's ALWAYS those few who just have to put others down. It probably makes you guys feel better to put others down because for the few minutes it take to write up your post, you don't have your mind on your own sorry ass existence and screwed up life!

I know I'm totally the pot calling the kettle black. BUT....
OH
EFFING
WELL!!

Happy Holidays Everyone!!!

Thanks for joining our forums just to excoriate members for things they said more than 13 years ago. Not a particularly auspicious beginning for you.

Administrator allisolm

Last edited by a moderator:

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Why do people have to be such ASS HATS?? What a sad world we live in when a really sad and scared person is very upset at the loss of a practically family member. So much so that they take to social media to ask questions. And there's ALWAYS those few who just have to put others down. It probably makes you guys feel better to put others down because for the few minutes it take to write up your post, you don't have your mind on your own sorry ass existence and screwed up life!

OH
EFFING
WELL!!

Dude damn you for necro threading!!! Why didn't check the date first???

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006

OH
EFFING
WELL!!

this is not social media.