Can a herniated disc heal on its own over time?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Casey Belken

May 13, 2016
I just completed treatment with success after many failed attempts. I have 2 ruptured discs reduced to 50% height L4/5 - I believe these are the bottom Lumbar discs. I am now symptom free.

*I did not have problems feeling my legs, so I cannot speak to those cases, but I had general achy lower back when sitting. Sometimes a flare up would get so bad that I could not walk, and had to lay in bed for a few days. I had to recline my office chair and car seat as far as they would go, and still felt the pain.

I wasted thousands of dollars on MRI, Cortisone Injections, and doctor visits. I also wasted thousands on EXPENSIVE Physical therapy. I do however recommend you shop around for Physical Therapy, and ask the rates. Do not accept the answer "You'll have to determine costs with your insurance company." That is a scam. Find a PT that does only PT, and has 15+ years of experience.

Here's the deal:
My spine was not flexible enough to produce the S shape from top to bottom. Because of the lack of flexibility at the top/middle, it caused the lower to be in bad form all the time without me knowing it, no matter how hard I tried to maintain good posture, proper lifting techniques, etc, I was destined for more degeneration and pain. You need to do a laundry list of things to bring back that 'S' curve. Here are some of them: Buy a foam roller, and spend an hour while watching TV rolling back and fourth and letting your spine hang down on each side--push the limits of your spine flexibility. When you sit or stand, you should be puffing your chest to get your spine in the right shape. A foam pad behind your MID-back while in a chair is a must. Lay down on your stomach and have some do like a CPR style slow motion compression on each of your spine vertebrae around the mid-back portion.
To help with symptoms, get some deep tissue messaging around the sides of the spine. Have someone walk on your back even. All this circulation will reduce the inflammation. You need to go to sleep with an ice pack under your lumbar region every night, and behind you when you drive to work every day. Do NOT use heat. Ice will be your new best friend until you figure it all out.

Long term prevention.
When they tell you that your core is not strong enough, it doesn't mean you are weaker than the average person, it means you need a seriously tight core to undo all the years of horrible posture, and to lift your upper half off of your spine enough for the symptoms to die down. PT will start you off with lame exercises, but you need to work up to full blown crunches, planks, etc. You need to relearn how to pick something up off the ground--Just because you bend your knees doesn't make it right--you need to put one knee on the ground to pick something up. The PT will help you relearn all this stuff. If they are not teaching that, find a new one.

I hope this helps someone because it took me 4 years to learn all this, and about 5k dollars. It was really only the last 500 dollars from a quality Physical Therapist that did the trick.

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
I have a herniated disk from dead lifts in crossfit and it still hurts after five years. The physio stuff has been garbage for me as well - the exercises are way too easy and don't do anything to strengthen my core.

I agree with the poster above that you've gotta work up to full-blown core exercises, but my problem is when I think about the really, really long game:

We all get old. We might be able to work out and get a really strong core that prevents us from feeling the pain from the herniated disk pressing on the nerve, but what about when we're 50? 60? 70?

We all get weak over time. Cores get weak over the time. Working out and having a strong core is a temporary solution. At the end of the day the disk is still bulging and pressing upon that nerve.

Strengthening the core doesn't actually push that bulge back completely and seal the herniation.

With that said, would the best solution be to just get surgery now while we're still young and have a good chance of recovering from the surgery, rather than wait until we're old and can't maintain a strong core?

Last edited:

Casey Belken

May 13, 2016
I see your point, but I think a bulge can die down, and inflammation will die down as the pressure is kept off the disk. Even in my case with disk wall rupture that will never heal, the inflammation has subsided, and I don't have to be doing core stuff every day like I used you.

From what I've learned, the surgery will fix one thing but mess up another, and is sort of a last resort--like if inflammation is so bad that you can't feel your legs and risk losing control of bladder function permanently. If possible I would wait 5-10 years when stem cell research can regrow the disk.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
My take on my back pain...

I was in a bike accident. I screwed up my back in my teens. Falling off bike and landed on the frame in mid air. Fun stuff.

Anyway, dealt with lower back pain, squished disks, sciatica going down both legs, feel like walking on pins and needles. Can't straighten out back after long car drives... Couldn't make it sitting in a office chair for over 5 hours even after getting up every hour and walking around a bit.

So what did I do, after going to doctors and telling me the same BS, fusion.

I tired a lot of back treatments, you know the crap you see on TV.

What helped me...

1) Flexing the back... Learning out to do back exercises in bed... Like the pelvic thrust...
2) Flexing the back simulates blood flow and produces oxygen flow throughout the joint.
*lay on you side with you one leg straight out and the other knee on a pillow (bent)... then do the other side... do each side a few times per night.
3) Fish Oil - ANTI-INFLAMMATORY (very important to take it nightly)
4) hang ups - Inversion table... decompression of the spine.
5) if your overweight try losing 10-20 lbs. Helps out.

So, my story started with ordering the hang ups (you can get deals on craigslist)... I started doing it and noticed after about month of inverting I would hear a lot of pops where my back was injured. It felt better... I also noticed that doing my night back exercises (flexing) pelvic thrusts mostly... I could hear my back actually popping in each direction. This felt pretty good after doing it for 15-20 mins per night... Note this did not happen over night, I'd say within 3 months...

Next a big one! was the Fish oil! For me, I was taking it for heart health, but I didn't know it was also making my back feel much much better as it was keeping the nerves from getting flare ups. Also, I was a bit on the heavy side and losing some weight also help me out.

Note: that this is what worked for me, and I say I've been trying to cure my back problem for a long time...... I'd say if you ran out and did all of the above...... Give it 6 or so months for it to start working!

Also, I have had back problems for at least 10 years... and Since I know what to do now... I have cured 90% of my back pain myself with doing the above. I can drive all day, with no pain, I don't have any sciatica nerve problems anymore. Maybe I am just one lucky dude... I would in so much back pain, that I wish someone told me a lot sooner on how to deal with it!

Good Luck!

I hope my suggestions work for you!

Trixiebell

Dec 30, 2018
Anyone ever tried spinal decompression for an L5 S1 disc herniation? The DRX 9000 looks interesting...but for the cost I’m skeptical to try it.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Anyone ever tried spinal decompression for an L5 S1 disc herniation? The DRX 9000 looks interesting...but for the cost I’m skeptical to try it.

https://www.amazon.com/d/Traction-E...1546549776&sr=8-14&keywords=back+decompressor

I'm not saying this will work for you, but for 25 bucks, 50/50 I'd give it a shot.

Just me, I'd try a ridiculously cheaper option first. My take on this device, would be a very mild stretch, but over time, of a few weeks ~ months, could be relief some are looking for.