Can a HD5300 play Diablo 3?

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
At say, 1366x768? How fast exactly is the onboard graphics on these 5-6W 5Y70 CPUs? I'm thinking of getting a Core M (would love a quiet laptop) but wondering if these things can handle something like LOL, Dota 2, Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, etc.

I know that the HD4600 can handle Diablo 3 at max details at 1920x1080 at around 40-50fps. I wonder how far behind the HD5300 on the Core M's are, if it's worth it to jump in and get one for travelling and light gaming. Some of the Cyber Monday deals look pretty decent, the HP 15X2 for around $700 is tempting.

Aug 11, 2008
I am pretty amazed that such a low power CPU/gpu can play any games at all. Looking at that data, it certainly can "play" the game, but just as certainly would not be an enjoyable experience. Even the games that look like they play well I suspect would throttle badly after prolonged play.

Edit: I also agree with Roland about the HDD. I am very surprised that Intel would let an OEM put their showcase new processor in a tablet with a mechanical hard drive, and I believe this is a slow 5400 rpm one.

Last edited:

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
I am pretty amazed that such a low power CPU/gpu can play any games at all. Looking at that data, it certainly can "play" the game, but just as certainly would not be an enjoyable experience. Even the games that look like they play well I suspect would throttle badly after prolonged play.

Edit: I also agree with Roland about the HDD. I am very surprised that Intel would let an OEM put their showcase new processor in a tablet with a mechanical hard drive, and I believe this is a slow 5400 rpm one.

No it can not play the game (diablo). At 1366*768 its an average of 21.3 fps at lowest setting.
We dont even know how the test is done. Its probably a good case scenario. When the case gets hot. As you say after half an hour gaming the minimum 2% frames is probably more like 5fps than 10fps. Its far from playable.

It throtles and when it does we get unpredictable perf. My take is even tf2 is not doable at 24+ servers because cpu perf goes way down. Its a very bad cpu for gaming.

We cant have our cake and eat it. Its perfectly fit for office but gaming just doesnt work - or is highly risky.

The 10w or 15w parts will be another story.

We have to remember that what 22nm ib was best for it was performance improvement at 18w ulv. Hw was basicly the same at perf.
This looks better. But it needs at least 10w to get there in games. The expectation should be set accordingly.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008

Surprising indeed. I'd have thought intel would have done something similar to the Ultrabook specification with this.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Surprising indeed. I'd have thought intel would have done something similar to the Ultrabook specification with this.

Ultrabook specs might have kept sales numbers low but its good for percieved value for a far larger part of their portfolio. I think its a huge success for the Intel brand.

I would also like to know what the motivation is for this?

And man - It hurts my enthusiast hearth to see such a fine - and expensive - piece of tech combined with a 5400 drive.

Aug 11, 2008
No it can not play the game (diablo). At 1366*768 its an average of 21.3 fps at lowest setting.
We dont even know how the test is done. Its probably a good case scenario. When the case gets hot. As you say after half an hour gaming the minimum 2% frames is probably more like 5fps than 10fps. Its far from playable.

It throtles and when it does we get unpredictable perf. My take is even tf2 is not doable at 24+ servers because cpu perf goes way down. Its a very bad cpu for gaming.

We cant have our cake and eat it. Its perfectly fit for office but gaming just doesnt work - or is highly risky.

The 10w or 15w parts will be another story.

We have to remember that what 22nm ib was best for it was performance improvement at 18w ulv. Hw was basicly the same at perf.
This looks better. But it needs at least 10w to get there in games. The expectation should be set accordingly.

Did you really read my post? If you run the game at 20FPS, but definition that is playing it. I said it would not be an enjoyable experience.

Aug 11, 2008
Ultrabook specs might have kept sales numbers low but its good for percieved value for a far larger part of their portfolio. I think its a huge success for the Intel brand.

And man - It hurts my enthusiast hearth to see such a fine - and expensive - piece of tech combined with a 5400 drive.

Maybe that is why they allow a mechanical HDD--- to keep the price down with an expensive cpu. Does seem like shooting yourself in the foot though. It is not a bargain device anyway, so another 50 or hundred bucks for an SSD would seem definitely worth it.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Did you really read my post? If you run the game at 20FPS, but definition that is playing it. I said it would not be an enjoyable experience.

I read it but interpreted it different.

The point is also say a hd3000 gpu on a fast dual core might be slightly slower on average if we take notebookcheck numbers. But my guess minimum framerates from the 4.5 tdp bw will be even lower. We eg see dips to 600mhz for the cpu core.

So the actual experience in gaming will be far worse than the eg. 20fps average seems to indicate. Certainly 20fps on low on low res is not "enjoyable" but imo its playable if the framerate is consistent. When we hit below 15fps its not even playable anymore in my book. But hey i think we view this the same way.

Thats one side of it - gaming is hd3000 like at best. The positive side is for normal light office work you get hw 15w ulv speed in a 4.5w tdp envelope. Thats brilliant.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Maybe that is why they allow a mechanical HDD--- to keep the price down with an expensive cpu. Does seem like shooting yourself in the foot though. It is not a bargain device anyway, so another 50 or hundred bucks for an SSD would seem definitely worth it.

Yes. What adds to my wondering is this device can be completely silent but a 5400 hd adds noise. In a busy office environment its not noticiable but working in silent area it very much is. And its an irritating random noise so its far worse than a constant very silent cooler with a stocastic noise profile.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
I guess I could go with the Envy X2 13 as well that comes with a 128GB SSD instead of 500GB Hybrid drive, but it does seem like the IGP performance is pretty low. Maybe I should wait for a 15W broadwell part.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
I guess I could go with the Envy X2 13 as well that comes with a 128GB SSD instead of 500GB Hybrid drive, but it does seem like the IGP performance is pretty low. Maybe I should wait for a 15W broadwell part.

Yes. The games you mention will be fully playable at 15w tdp bw. And you get same battery life for normal office work. And yes always get a ssd for such a fine machine.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
And f. No. This 4.5w tdp part does not work for gaming. Get it out of hour head, even if it hurt :)

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008

IMO, Ultrabook specification is more beneficial to Microsoft. I'm surprised Microsoft isn't more behind it.
Crappy laptops that are underspecced is a MASSIVE reason why people switch to Apple.

Person spends $400 on a terrible MS laptop and it sucks. So they think "I'll spend $1000 on a Macbook those are expensive but they rock!" Could have spent that $1000 on an ultrabook for same experience (or better even).

It's odd that it is Intel that is the one backing such a specification when no matter what, a person is purchasing a laptop that will contain their processor but MS isn't pushing it when people can switch their OS.
Lets be real, AMD isn't a thread to intel's laptop situation so I'm not even bothering to address that.