Question Can a graphics card kill an HDMI port?

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
So, I bought a new TV this year, around 3 months ago. I have a PC with an MSI 1070 8GB connected to it. I am now on the third HDMI port of the TV - the other two have stopped working.

The TV picks up that something is plugged into the HDMI port but doesn't display anything - it says there is no signal. To fix it, I have to move to the next HDMI.

When the first HDMI port went, I thought it was just dumb luck. When the second HDMI port went - the one that I had started using after the first went - I knew something is up. The problem is, I don't know whether it is because the TV is faulty and thus the HDMI ports fail early, or whether it is because the graphics card is murdering them. But the graphics card itself is fine, no issues at all.

I did use the graphics card with another LG TV before this one, actually the previous model of the range. I used it with that TV for over a year, and it was fine. No blown HDMI ports. I did move countries in between TVs, but there should not be a massive difference. Both countries have similar electrical grids.

The TV is an entry level LG 4k 49 inch model. The previous TV was also an entry level LG 4k 49 inch model.

I bought the new TV from Amazon and have already requested a refund. So I just need to return it to them. But, I'd like to know if I'm going to kill the new TV too.

Oh the TV has no other faults apart from HDMI ports. So if it was an electrical surge sent from the graphics card into the TV, the only thing it damaged is a specific part of the HDMI port. Everything else is fine.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Did you do any research on your model having issues? It sounds like a bad HDMI port(s) on your TV.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Can you verify that your power supply on the PC is grounded to the case properly? The video card is grounded to the case by the screw or bracket that holds it in. The outer part of the cable should be grounded to the card that way....or you could have a cable issue.

I agree with bigboxes though...research the model and see if it's a common failure. Typically all of the hdmi ports are going to be plugged into the same input switch. My guess is that the failure was more on that end than the ports. Ports usually fail when pins get bent or bad solder joints...that sort of failure... The circuit/chips are likely the root cause of the problem on that board.

I'm always skeptical of LG quality and don't typically trust them. Also because I don't like how their slogan is "Life's Good" when they are really Lucky Goldstar. I remember Goldstar printers and monitors from the 80's/90's and don't trust rebranding the same way I don't trust people on ATOT that swap screennames and avatars.

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
I have installed Satellite/Cable for like 12 years or so. LG and Vizio are the most common brands that I see with HDMI port/s that fail.
I agree with above that it's typically not going to be the port itself, physically, but the control board. In the past usually ports 1/3 2/4 would be tied together. If that makes sense. Meaning separate control boards. Depending on physical location. like ports 1,3 on the bottom and 2/4 as side inputs.
RMA that thing.

Check for proper electrical wiring with a inexpensive tester, for short to grounds, reverse polarity, hot short, neutral short ect. You can also test the output of the HDMI cable pins with a digital multimeter for excessive voltage off pins.