Can a fried CPU lead to a fried PSU or mobo?

MonstaThrilla

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2000
I already discussed this story when trying to tell if my CPU was fried.

Built new rig. Turned on the machine for the first time. Remained on for about 90 seconds, then turned off. Tried to turn it on again immediately, but no power went through, NOTHING. No fans, no led's, NOTHING. Saw that the CPU was fried because of an improperly seated HSF.

I was told that a fried CPU shouldn't keep juice from going through the system. I've checked and rechecked everything for a week now (trust me on this). The damn rig won't turn on. Keep in mind that I'm still trying to use the burnt CPU, because I was told there should still be power going through the system (fans go on, drives power up, etc.) I'm not getting any juice going through. My new CPU should come soon, hopefully (Viking Computers SUCKS when it comes to order status updates).

So I was thinking that either the PSU (an Enermax 350W) or my mobo (an Epox 8K7A) were fried in the process. Is there any way I can test this? The thing is, I don't know of anyway for the PSU to power up unless the circuit between the power switch on the case, the power plugs into and out of the mobo, and the PSU is complete.

Also, when installing my HSF, a capacitor is VERY close to one of the clip latches, and I moved it a bit. It didn't come off, its just a bit loose. I've pushed it back into place, but that could have done something.

My present system is a Gateway PII 400. Can I test my Enermax 350W out on that safely? I think I'll wait until my CPU comes in however.

Monel Funkawitz

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
There is a 90% chance you toasted the mobo, and a 99% chance you also blew the fuse in the power supply.

Plan on a new mobo and fuse, becuase I would not trust that mobo now with a new CPU.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Pull the mobo plug, jumper the green wire to any black with a paperclip, the psu should come on, the fans and connected drives power up. If that works, the board is probably toast as well.

MonstaThrilla

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2000
Ahh $hit. This is what I get for not reading the friggin' instructions really carefully.

:(

Well, I tried the paper clip test, no juice. Hopefully its just the PSU. Can I get that replaced? I mean, there IS a 25 Year warranty, and if I keep my mouth shut about the whole thing...

Thanks for the help guys.

MonstaThrilla

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2000
Umm, I got a new PSU, but the machine didn't power up nor did the paper clip test work. Another dud? Or am I just doing the paper clip test wrong?

My request for RMA'ing the mobo was successful, its getting sent back tomorrow...