• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Can a doctor fix your nail?

paulney

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2003
6,912
1
0
Five years ago when I had a motorcycle, I walked out one day to put it on a center stand. I twas hot outside, so I put on sandals instead of sneakers. I thought about it for a second, but then waved it off: "what could go wrong?"

Well, long story short, I didn't pull the motorcycle right, and one of the centerstand pegs ended up on my big toe. I quickly pulled it out... along with the nail :(

Being a student and all, I didn't go to the doctor, but simply bandaged up the toe and waited for a new nail to grow. But since then it hasn't been growing right. The question is: if I go to a doctor, can they tear this nail off again and maybe coat the skin with something so that the new one grows right and not crooked and all?
 

mordantmonkey

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2004
3,075
5
0
yeah they'd probably just rip it out and have you keep coming back so they can trim it to grow back properly.

oh and "foot thumb" is no better. you mean "big toe"?
 

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
25,914
3
81
Originally posted by: paulney
Originally posted by: Fiat1
What's a foot thumb= Big toe?
Yeah, I just don't know the right word, sorry
It's not a word, you look at your toes and realize it's the largest one, lol.
 

paulney

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2003
6,912
1
0
Originally posted by: FoBoT
are you talking about your big toe?
which foot?
:camera:'s?
Yes, big toe, left foot. You wouldn't want to see the pis. Nothing scary like an ingrown nail or anything, but it's not pretty either.

The nail has a root, but starting from the point where the peg landed on it and tore it off, it's not attached to the thumb skin. So it grows thick and crooked.
 

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
65,469
5
76
Go see a peditrist.

They'll fix you right up.

Do not under any circumstances let anybody other than a pediatrsit work on your toenail. They will completely muck it up.

-edit-
there's all sorts of structures in your nail bed that should be repaired or looked at. A regular doctor will just rip the nail off without tending to these and just cause you immense pain. A pediatrist will shape these structures to make sure the nail grows back correctly. I've had my big toenail ripped out three times.
 

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
74,218
655
126
Originally posted by: paulney
Originally posted by: FoBoT
are you talking about your big toe?
which foot?
:camera:'s?
Yes, big toe, left foot. You wouldn't want to see the pis. Nothing scary like an ingrown nail or anything, but it's not pretty either.

The nail has a root, but starting from the point where the peg landed on it and tore it off, it's not attached to the thumb skin. So it grows thick and crooked.
WTF? Do they still teach English in the schools in California?
 

paulney

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2003
6,912
1
0
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus

WTF? Do they still teach English in the schools in California?
Sorry, English isn't my primary language, and I'm not very eloquent in terms of toe names on legs. I beg your pardon. And, btw, mr. Grammar Police, there is no 'the' in 'schools in California'.
 

paulney

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2003
6,912
1
0
Originally posted by: spidey07
Go see a peditrist.

They'll fix you right up.

Do not under any circumstances let anybody other than a pediatrsit work on your toenail. They will completely muck it up.

-edit-
there's all sorts of structures in your nail bed that should be repaired or looked at. A regular doctor will just rip the nail off without tending to these and just cause you immense pain. A pediatrist will shape these structures to make sure the nail grows back correctly. I've had my big toenail ripped out three times.
Thanks!
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY