Can a defective video card take out a mobo?

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Long story short I built my son a beginner gaming pc. Mobo was a Winfast NF4UK8AA with an Amd 4000+ in it and a PCIE ATI X850 XT PE. He called be to say that the pc turns on but wont post and the last thing he saw was a color rainbow and when he rebooted the HD, psu and all fans turn on. Anyway, I take the HD, mobo, vid card, memory and PSU with me and begin testing at work. Thing wont post. Swap GPU with known working one, no go. Buy a cheap used mobo here on AT and put all his components on it. No post. Put known working video card and bingo, it posts. So I put all of it back into original mobo (including working vid card) and no post. Put all back in other mobo and all works.

So I take the original ATI card apart and find an alluminum cap that has one solder joint disconnected. Reconnect and try it all again in the old and new mobos and this thing is dead.

I find it weird that everything works on the newer mobo except the old vid card, but all working parts dont work in original mobo.

Is it possible that when the original vid card busted a cap that it took the original mobo with it? Or is it more likely that the original mobo took the card out?

I checked the original mobo and cannot find anything fried or burnt. But I get no beeps as to whats bad.

I dont really care about old mobo or old video card. I just find it wierd that these 2 parts dont work at all. I understand the cap not making the card work but I just dont know why the mobo wont work even with new vid card but all old stuff works on newer mobo (sans old card).

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Yes, the AGP cards could do it, I assume that PCI-E cards can take out mobos as well. I have also heard (coworker of my father had it happen to him) of a motherboard taking out AGP cards, two GeforceFXs died in his machine before he realized that his motherboard is a murderer.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
Yes, the AGP cards could do it, I assume that PCI-E cards can take out mobos as well. I have also heard (coworker of my father had it happen to him) of a motherboard taking out AGP cards, two GeforceFXs died in his machine before he realized that his motherboard is a murderer.

I just find it somewhat strange. In my 25 years of IT I have seen mobos taking out either the video card or everything. Or the video card blowing but everything else works. Or basically everything just goes. Its just this combo that bugs me. Maybe the nvidia chipset and the ati card battled it out and both lost. :)

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
So you're saying the GPU busted a cap in the mobo? Talk about your major battles between nVidia & Ati...

:laugh:

Seriously though, it seems possible that a power spike/etc blasted through both motherboard & video card, frying both at the same time. Lack of burnt silicon or burst caps does not mean the board wasn't damaged by whatever took out the GPU.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Oyeve
In my 25 years of IT ... just this combo that bugs me

:confused: Why does "just this combo" bug you, and what does how many years of IT experience have to do with it? You did a great job in narrowing down the problem to which parts have failed. :thumbsup: I'd say just chalk it up and move on. :p

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Originally posted by: Zap
In my 25 years of IT ... just this combo that bugs me

:confused: Why does "just this combo" bug you, and what does how many years of IT experience have to do with it? You did a great job in narrowing down the problem to which parts have failed. :thumbsup: I'd say just chalk it up and move on. :p

It just does oh mighty moderator. (bows down). :)

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
This is a moderator voice.

This is my regular voice.

:beer: This Is my drUnk voiCe. :beer:

Any questions? :p

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999

Lucky you. When i'm drunk I sound like Peter Griffin in the episode where he goes to Ireland to meet his real father and they have that drinking game. :)

Kraeoss

Jul 31, 2008

Lucky you. When i'm drunk I sound like Peter Griffin in the episode where he goes to Ireland to meet his real father and they have that drinking game. :)

oookkkkkaaaayy so do ou happen to look like him :confused: lol jk jk.... but seriously lol

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Originally posted by: Kraeoss

oookkkkkaaaayy so do ou happen to look like him :confused: lol jk jk.... but seriously lol

Nah, im slim. Only weigh 180lbs.