Can a company force their salaried employee to work more than 40 hours per week?

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Right now most of us at work are working a bit of overtime. We're salaried and I was talking with my supervisor today and he said that the company can't force anyone to work more than forty hours per week. That sounds absurd to me. I understand that it's undesirable to have to do that regularly, and it would lead to people leaving, but are companies really powerless to force salaried employees to work more than forty hours per week, or can they fire employees who refuse to do so?

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
You have no right to only work 40 hours a week. You only have the right to be paid more IF you get paid by the hour. A company certainly can fire you for not doing your job if the job requires more than 40 hours.

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
um yes.... welcome to the corp world..
you either work it or you get fired..

this seems especially true in IT when after hours work is usually the only time to get migrations etc done.

D1gger

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
An acquaintance was taken before a labour tribunal here in Canada because one of his ex-employees was claiming for overtime. He tried to claim for overtime that was spent at home surfing the net to further his knowledge of the business (it is an internet business) and for answering emails in the evenings.

The Labour Board ruled that he was not eligible for overtime, but only because his employment contract had a reference to working a minimum of 40 hours per week, which set the expectation that he may be required to work more than 40 hours. I thought it was absurd that it would have been even considered, since I had always thought salaried staff was not eligible for OT, but it seems like it depends on the employment contract.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2003
ummm, company I just interviewed with said they have a 45 hour billable requirement per month (meaning at least 60 hours/week).

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
um yes.... welcome to the corp world..
you either work it or you get fired..

this seems especially true in IT when after hours work is usually the only time to get migrations etc done.

Interesting.

I mean, I agree with it, if you take on a salaried job, you enter a contract to do it. I'm surprised that he's under that impression, then. Maybe it's a company rule.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
"Can a company force their salaried employee to work more than 40 hours per week?"

In this economy? Let me answer your question with another question:

"Can a slavemaster force their slave to do anything they want?"

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
look at recent uprisings at EA Games where spouses were up in arms that their husbands were working extremely long shifts to complete projects at deadlines.

I worked recently at a Publishing Company and it was almost as bad there..
writers and editors staying overnight sometimes in order to get articles out to press on time.

D1gger

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
*acquaintance

Canuckistan is a whole 'nother' critter.

Thank you sir, the error has been corrected, and you are especially correct about Canuckistan being very different about employment standards ... especially the left coast.

Mr. Pedantic

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2010
Why not? If your contract says you are required to finish some form of project work, then even if you work the full 40 hours but don't get it done, you need to work more.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
If you are salaried, aka "excempt", you stay until things get done...and zero OT pay.

<<---- used to work for a place with 50&#37; pay raise but almost 90% more hours...needless to say, I did not stay too long.

Vic Vega

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2010
Right now most of us at work are working a bit of overtime. We're salaried and I was talking with my supervisor today and he said that the company can't force anyone to work more than forty hours per week. That sounds absurd to me. I understand that it's undesirable to have to do that regularly, and it would lead to people leaving, but are companies really powerless to force salaried employees to work more than forty hours per week, or can they fire employees who refuse to do so?

I see you are in Florida. Florida is a right to work state, meaning, you can work anywhere and not be forced to join a union. It also means an employer can dismiss you for any legal reason they desire, at any time, without prior notice. So, if the job they are asking you to do requires 60 hours a week and you can't or won't complete the job, they can most certainly dismiss you.

Last edited:

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Yep. In the corporate environment, your purpose on earth is to WORK. M-F, Saturdays, Sundays. Whatever it takes. Your life may suck, but hey! You're making so much money!

Thank God for unions protecting their workers from exploitation like that. 40 hours = a full time week. You want your worker to work more hours? Pay them overtime.

zCypher

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2002
I thought hourly = you get paid for the hours worked, and
salary = you get paid $X/year, regardless of hours worked.

?

timosyy

Golden Member
Dec 19, 2003
I'm considered "non-exempt" so... Sure, I'll work OT, but I'm getting paid for it ;)

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I see you are in Florida. Florida is a right to work state, meaning, you can work anywhere and not be forced to join a union. It also means an employer can dismiss you for any legal reason they desire, at any time, without prior notice. So, if the job they are asking you to do requires 60 hours a week and you can't or won't complete the job, they can most certainly dismiss you.

I'm actually in Mississippi.

I'll have to print this thread out and show that dumbass... uh, hey man. :p

chalmers

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2008
I'm salary in a professional CPA accounting firm. Any hours I work > 40 get accrued into a lump payment at the hourly wage of what my salary would be two times a year, or I can take it as vacation.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Question then...why aren't all jobs salaried? Unless I'm missing something, it sounds like a goddamn sweet deal for the employer, in a country which already views things like time off and vacation as whiny cries of people who want to waste their lives doing things other than glorifying their employer.*
Put your workforce on salary, and then make them do anything. Stay until the work is done. If it takes 60 hours, tough shit, enjoy your 40-hours-worth of pay. You're welcome.

* - Reading anything on European vacation/holiday practices gives an idea of who runs the government in the US. They get more holiday hours there than I get in vacation time. Plus 4-6 weeks of paid vacation on top of that. Here, you have to wait until you hit retirement age before you can really get some decent time off.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
They can't force you to. They can't force you to do anything. Of course they can definitely let you go.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I'm considered "non-exempt" so... Sure, I'll work OT, but I'm getting paid for it ;)
This is the source of a lot of screwing going on in the labor market. Lots of employees are classified as exempt that should not be. IT folks not in supervisory positions should not be classified as exempt.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I was salaried and exempt but I got OT, well after 45 hours/wk, so first 5 OT was unpaid. So I don't think exempt necessarily means no OT pay.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
They can't force you to. They can't force you to do anything. Of course they can definitely let you go.
Well yeah, "force" is kind of subjective if you look at it that way.

I can't "force" you to do anything against your will. You may well choose to disobey my instructions, knowing full well that a bullet in the head is the result. But you were given the choice.
"Honest, officer! I didn't force the guy to do anything! I clearly gave him some terms, and he made a choice based on those terms. " ;)