Camping/Tubing in WI

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Howdy,

I know this is a long shot but here goes.... Every summer we take a camping trip to go tubing. Now I'm not talking white water rafting, I'm talking lazy river tubing like at a water park but down an actual river. The past few years we have gone camping at High Cliff and then gone to a Tubing place in New London called Wolf River Campgrounds (or something like that). This place rents our inner tubes, shuttles you to a "put in" point and you tube back to the campground.

However this place has turned into a pot/marijuana festival during the summer with lots of drunk teenagers so we'd rather go somewhere else.

Just wondering if anyone know of any other places within a 2 hr or so radius of Milwaukee that has something like this. Would need to have some sort of shuttle service, renting of tubes, etc.

Any suggestions would be great. Even better if there is a State Campground relatively nearby.

Thanks!

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Happen to know of the specific campground or company that runs the tubing operation or the specific river to tube on and where they are located? I have a cabin up near Nicolet so that might be nice too. I didn't see anything about that with names of places to check out at all on those links.

Thanks for the info.

CChaos

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2003
Man you're making me so nostalgic with this post. What a great way to spend a lazy summer day. I want to be a kid in the country again. Have a blast man!

AEnigmaWI

Jan 21, 2004
shotgun eddy's.. don't remember exactly where it's located, but I have been there several times.. you can camp near there in a bit less of a mess than the actual shotgun eddy's campground.. it's a good time.. good mix of peeps

Jan 18, 2001
Originally posted by: FrankyJunior
Happen to know of the specific campground or company that runs the tubing operation or the specific river to tube on and where they are located? I have a cabin up near Nicolet so that might be nice too. I didn't see anything about that with names of places to check out at all on those links.

Thanks for the info.

i sent an email to my cheese head buddy.... will post after i hear back from him.

tontod

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Good luck tubing, dont fall over like I did 2 years ago, took in a lot of water. :Q

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
This shouldn't make anyone nostalgic. We go with a group of people and the toungest person is probably around 29. Age goes up to probably 40+. It's a great way to spend a summer day. You get enough tubes for each person. Then you get a couple extra for the coolers. You float down the river drinking whatever you brought along (no glass though, that'd be bad). Stop and eat lunch and then do it all over again.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Originally posted by: AEnigmaWI
shotgun eddy's.. don't remember exactly where it's located, but I have been there several times.. you can camp near there in a bit less of a mess than the actual shotgun eddy's campground.. it's a good time.. good mix of peeps

From their website it look slike Shutgun Eddys is white water rafting. I'm looking for lazy river type tubing so that wouldn't work for us....

Here's a link with a picture of what I'm talking about...

http://www.wolfrivertrips.com/wolfrivertrips/tubing++canoeing/default.asp

Notice the cooler in the middle of the pack.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
If you like camping,Hiking, Swimming, Scenic Beautyand fishing goto the Number 1 State park in Wisconsin Devil's lake about 10 minutes away from my house.:D If you get board then goto Wisconsin Dells about 15 miles north which has some of the largest waterparks in the Midwest.

Devil's Lake checkout the 360 vr tour

Dells

More Dells

Sysadmin

AEnigmaWI

Jan 21, 2004
shotgun eddy's think's it's whitewater rafting...

I have done the wolf river deal, and shotgun too.. we definitely have plenty of time to lounge and drink at Shotgun.. there is even a place about halfway you can stop and buy hotdogs.

Jan 18, 2001
So i just IM'd my buddy, he recommends the Namakagon for a nice relaxing float.

take 53 North through Spooner, when you get to Cable, take 63 towards Hayward, but tun left after just a hundred yards or so. You will see signs, the place is called Jacks or something like that.

check out the cable area guide for more info on events, lodging, camping, canoeing.