Camping in an FPS. Deal with it.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PieIsAwesome

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2007
If camping breaks the game, then the problem is that the game sucks and not camping. A map should prevent a camper from, say, killing people as they spawn.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
I'm quite aware it's not a new phenomena, I've been playing FPS games since the original Wolfenstien. What bugs me is piss poor players yelling camper when you caught them with their pants down. Camping is a player hiding at the expense of everything, even killing other players, not hiding to catch someone you know is close or will soon pass by.

On the other hand tonight I got team camped. Our team kept on running into them, so I and a friend camped out for them until they came to us, then we brought the pain. Before that we were meat in their grinder.

Again a discussion on this forum turned into dick-waving. This has nothing to do with being good or bad. Whether or not I can deal with campers doesn't matter much to me. I just don't like when someone else's play style forces me to play in a way that I don't enjoy. That's why I don't like campers.

Suppose the javelin glitch was put in the game intentionally. It'd be a valid tactic, but it'd be annoying, right? Same with camping. It's a valid tactic, but it decreases my enjoyment of the game. That's why I don't like it.

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
I tend to lure people into getting camped with I play CoD4. If somebody does the same to me I acknowledge it as a fair kill.
edit: It's also quite satisfying when you take a guess as to somebody's camping position and shoot blindly through a wall to kill them.

Last edited:

Dangerer

Golden Member
Mar 15, 2005
I've played competitive FPS's my entire life. The only time camping ever bothered me was in counter-strike when terrorists would camp their spawn in public games. I am completely cool with terrorists camping in a league matches if we've downed half their guys and they're saving their weapons.

MW2 camping is a valid tactic. Running around with dual 1887s and charging knifers are a much bigger issue.

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
Again a discussion on this forum turned into dick-waving. This has nothing to do with being good or bad. Whether or not I can deal with campers doesn't matter much to me. I just don't like when someone else's play style forces me to play in a way that I don't enjoy. That's why I don't like campers.

Suppose the javelin glitch was put in the game intentionally. It'd be a valid tactic, but it'd be annoying, right? Same with camping. It's a valid tactic, but it decreases my enjoyment of the game. That's why I don't like it.

Did I have my dick out? Pretty sure I didn't, but it is just so very long. I'll wear longer pants in my next thread.

Kroze

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2001
Camping is just pathetic.

I'm a run-n-gun type and absolutely hate campers. You're just a low-life blood sucker/stat-whore and slow down the game and pissing people off with cheap cheap cheap non-skill B.S.

Dual Shotgun
Noob Toobing

gets it too.

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
I don't particularly hate campers, but it's really satisfying to take out all 3 of their claymores and then kill them before they even get a shot off.

Bill Brasky

Diamond Member
May 18, 2006
I just suck at camping, which is the only reason I don't do it. I'll get bored and stop thinking, which usually gets me killed. Plus I get three times the number of kills when I'm on the move. Doesn't really bother me if other people it though.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
I just suck at camping, which is the only reason I don't do it. I'll get bored and stop thinking, which usually gets me killed. Plus I get three times the number of kills when I'm on the move. Doesn't really bother me if other people it though.

Heh, same things happen to me. Usually I get bored and start roaming around about 5 seconds before someone comes into my camping spot and then they get the drop on me rather than the other way around.

brblx

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2009
I'm quite aware it's not a new phenomena, I've been playing FPS games since the original Wolfenstien. What bugs me is piss poor players yelling camper when you caught them with their pants down. Camping is a player hiding at the expense of everything, even killing other players, not hiding to catch someone you know is close or will soon pass by.

what? so you think camping is hiding and not killing other players?

camping is hiding, probably protected on three sides, with your crosshairs aimed at a doorway or other small choke point, negating aiming.

in the glory days of FPS's on the PC, everyone kept moving, and anyone that sat in one place died unless they were being excrutiatingly cheap- that is camping. and it makes you a little pansy. deal with it.

digiram

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2004
I've played competitive FPS's my entire life. The only time camping ever bothered me was in counter-strike when terrorists would camp their spawn in public games. I am completely cool with terrorists camping in a league matches if we've downed half their guys and they're saving their weapons.

MW2 camping is a valid tactic. Running around with dual 1887s and charging knifers are a much bigger issue.

Agreed. I've put several rounds into people, only to have them teleport and stab me. I can even understand if they were behind me and I wasn't aware or even caught me trying to snipe, but to be right in my line of sight at the end of my cross hair and be able to stab me from 10 ft. away... that's bs.

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
Camping in MW2 is rare, the maps and weaponry just don't allow for it. There are exceptions, for instance that main house on 'Derail' is a campers paradise. Same goes for that tunnel on Wasteland. People seem drawn to these structures and can't resist running inside, even when it means taking on several entrenched defenders.

But even still I've never had a match where one side held either of these structures the whole time. That's kind of my definition for camping, if teams are able to just sit in one spot indefinitely and win the game they're camping. There are just way too many ways to flush out the defenders in MW2 to allow that though. Flashbangs, RPG's, grenades, grenade launchers, killstreaks, deathsteaks...etc. Even maps that do promote camping (that resort/lodge map set in woodland) have so many entranceways that camping's tough.

And like others have mentioned, I see a ton of people using Marathon/Lightweight/Commando doing nothing but running around and energy sword'ing people. This is the lamest type of gameplay so give me the campers anytime over that.

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
what? so you think camping is hiding and not killing other players?

camping is hiding, probably protected on three sides, with your crosshairs aimed at a doorway or other small choke point, negating aiming.

in the glory days of FPS's on the PC, everyone kept moving, and anyone that sat in one place died unless they were being excrutiatingly cheap- that is camping. and it makes you a little pansy. deal with it.

Well done conforming to the tenets of internet debate; #2 Turn someone’s factual statements into implied preferences and #5 Assume the dumbest interpretation.

However, I fail to see how I'm a pansy as it's not my modus operandi, but nice try at trolling. Complaining about it pisses me off. Hate campers? Get off your ass and kill them, don't piss and moan about it. It's easy.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
i play mw2 on the pc, but i agree, those guys with the knives are annoying. I'll unload into a guy only to have a knife sticking in my chest a second later.

I've also had many time where i go to knife a guy, hit the melee button, and then die from the enemy's knife. Its like my button press doesn't register.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
so if i understand you everyone should pick a 1 entrance room and sit crouched in the corner and watch the doorway, and the match should end:
player 1: 00
player 2: 00
player 3: 00
player 4: 00
player 5: 00
player 6: 00
player 7: 00
player 8: 00
player 9: 00
player 10: 00
player 11: 00
player 12: 00

camping is for morons.

This x2, camping is retarded

brblx

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2009
Well done conforming to the tenets of internet debate; #2 Turn someone’s factual statements into implied preferences and #5 Assume the dumbest interpretation.

However, I fail to see how I'm a pansy as it's not my modus operandi, but nice try at trolling. Complaining about it pisses me off. Hate campers? Get off your ass and kill them, don't piss and moan about it. It's easy.

you said 'camping is a player hiding at the expense of everything, even killing other players,' which is dumb. if i interpreted it wrong, learn to express yourself better. it sounds to me that you're just trying to justify your own lame playstyle and are mad that most people do, in fact, think you are a lame pile of lame. again- deal with it.

god i don't know why i bother with this cesspool of a subforum sometimes. go back to whining about how people whine too much, pls, i'll leave you alone.

Last edited:

KlokWyze

Diamond Member
Sep 7, 2006
www.dogsonacid.com
There's a difference between "camping" and holding a high traffic choke point. Since I assume you're talking about MW2 I'll put it this way, someone watching one of the bridges on Invasion or the the food court area or ticket area on Terminal is holding a choke point. People hold those for tactical advantage. Someone lying down in a random house on Invasion that's away from the action hoping that someone just walks by so they can get an easy kill is camping. The first I'm 100% totally fine with, it's a tactical game, hold important areas for tactical advantage. The second I think ruins the game.

Yeah I agree with this. Also, with SAO123's point that if everyone camped the game would be slow to nonexistent.

I often go into "camp mode" when I'm recovering from damage or reloading. Also, holding a high traffic choke point, as Kabob put it. Sitting in a far away corner on the map or watching a tiny area hoping for an easy kill, with such limited risk does kill the game and it's just irritating.

Though, the term "camper" is thrown around mostly by talentless spazes.