Camera for streaming from a classroom

lykaon78

Golden Member
Sep 5, 2001
My wife is a high school science teacher. Her school is going to a hybrid model (2 days in class, 3 days remote) to reduce class room size by 50%. For one of her upper level classes she needs to be able to live stream her lecture in order to keep up with the pace of the curriculum and still lecture to the students not present that day.

I'm responsible for setting her up with a solution. The camera will be in the rear of the classroom which makes the audio of her lectures barely audible (at least on an iphone X) so we're considering a lapel mic to add to the solution.

I'm considering this camera:
And this wireless microphone:

The combo gets me out for under $450.

I'm an audio/video newb at best so I'd appreciate any opinion on my solution or possible alternatives. The school isn't covering this so I'm open to cheaper options if you have one.

Thanks in advance.

lykaon78

Golden Member
Sep 5, 2001
Why isn't the school providing the av setup?
Short answer: Money and live streaming isn't mandatory for teachers
Medium answer: Most school districts received a 10-15% reduction in their budget as a result of less tax revenue because of the economic impact from COVID-19. The federal CARES act provided some relief but those funds are being used for cleaning supplies and extra janitorial staff.
Long answer: Ohio's education funding structure is a joke. The state supreme court ruled it unconstitutional 15 years ago and after 5 years of fighting with the legislature basically threw up their hands and said: You guys elected these people, if they can't get it together we don't have the power to force them.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Any reason why you cannot just use a laptop? Video doesn't have to be filmed from back of the class. all she has to do is repeat students' questions.

Reactions: Paladin3

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
Any reason why you cannot just use a laptop? Video doesn't have to be filmed from back of the class. all she has to do is repeat students' questions.
Put the laptop on an empty desk in the front row where it can get a good shot of her and pick up her lecture audio well. It will also pick up the students pretty well from that spot. If the laptop camera/mic isn't of sufficient quality then a decent webcam should do the trick and be fairly inexpensive. Ask the parents to each kick in a few bucks to help cover the camera if the school won't provide one.

And thank you to you and your wife for caring about education when so many of our elected officials don't seem able to get their elbows out of their ears.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Long answer: Ohio's education funding structure is a joke. The state supreme court ruled it unconstitutional 15 years ago and after 5 years of fighting with the legislature basically threw up their hands and said: You guys elected these people, if they can't get it together we don't have the power to force them.
sounds like texas