Calls increase for National Guard to be brought in Chicago

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
It is clear you know nothing about the situation in Chicago, absolutely nothing.

actually he is right. they confiscate everything they see legal or not. trouble is yes there are a bunch of illegal guns in chicago.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Again, where is your evidence that the ACLU is providing political protection to gangs? Your link doesn't provide any evidence for your ridiculous claim. Back up your claim.

If you don't think that the ACLU is a political actor in Chicago you're naive. Plenty of information in my link.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
If you don't think that the ACLU is a political actor in Chicago you're naive. Plenty of information in my link.
So once again you've displayed your lack of credibility to the world. Don't you ever feel the least bit embarrassed by the crap you type?

88keys

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2012
If you think the ACLU is protecting gangs based on that link than you have no idea how to read.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Just ban guns with more than 7 round magazines and close the gun show loophole. Problem solved :colbert:

All guns are banned in Chicago (might be all of Cook county?)

But doesnt chicago have some of the strictest gun laws in the country? I thought it made sense to make lawful people unable to own guns?

This is the problem. None of the law abiding citizens are allowed to arm themselves, but there are still thousands of unregistered and illegal firearms in the hands of criminals/gang members. That is why the police are "outgunned", because they have little recourse to track/find these weapons and get them off the streets.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
So once again you've displayed your lack of credibility to the world. Don't you ever feel the least bit embarrassed by the crap you type?

Once again you're proven to the forum that you're to stupid to read my link and see where the actions of the ACLU has contributed to the difficulty in prosecuting gang members. Do you ever get embarrassed by being a progressive asshole?

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
Per capta numbers are the only real way to look at the problem. The total number is inconsequential. Of course the total is what gets played up in the media because it makes an emotional impact.

Actually the best way to look at the problem is take head on however, many refuse to deal with the problem as it wouldn't be politically correct.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2012/12/murders_in_new_orleans_were_sl.html

Landrieu says that the murder epidemic in New Orleans is largely confined to African-American men between the ages of 16 and 30, both victims and perpetrators. Murder is the leading cause of death for that demographic group, he said.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Good point. I hope they get it and all that untrained-in-policing that comes along with it just so we can use them as an example.

Of course this is ridiculous and won't happen. Chance of it happening is exactly and precisely 0%.

Reminds me of how participating in riot training while I was in the NG was a riot in and of itself. The thought of having quite a few guys on the line with hair trigger tempers all dressed up to lay down some serious hurt and pain along with the authority and eagerness to do it sort'a made me aware of how easy it is to have the riot control guys go full tilt and join the party when these guys take things personal after getting pelted with rocks and rotten eggs and having protesters screaming filth from a few inches away from the other side of their ballistic shields. Spartan discipline from guys I know who would just love to crack open some heads for fun? I don't think so.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
This has never been true and is not now. Handguns were banned until the recent SC decision.

Chicago requires that all firearms be registered with the police department. Gun owners are required to have a Chicago Firearm Permit. The city has banned the possession of certain semi-automatic firearms that it defines as assault weapons, as well as magazines that can hold more than 12 rounds of ammunition. Chicago residents must "immediately" report a firearm that is stolen or lost, and must report the transfer of a firearm at least 48 hours in advance. Chicago also prohibits the sale of firearms within city limits.
Cook County has banned the possession of certain semi-automatic firearms that it has defined as assault weapons, and magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition. Starting in August 2013, residents must report to the county sheriff within 48 hours any firearms that are stolen, lost, transferred, or sold. The sheriff may share this information with other law enforcement agencies. In Cook County, local laws, such as those of Chicago, take precedence over county laws that regulate similar matters.
In Chicago, gun owners are required to have a Chicago Firearm Permit, which costs $100 and must be renewed every three years. Before getting the permit, the resident must complete a training course that includes at least four hours of classroom training and one hour of range time. Each gun must be registered with the Chicago Police Department at a one-time cost of $15 per gun, and an annual registration report must be filed every year. Gun possession is permitted only inside a dwelling, not in a garage or on the outside grounds of the property. Only one gun at a time may be kept in a usable state. Chicago's ordinances are being challenged in court, with plaintiffs alleging that they are so restrictive and burdensome as to interfere with citizens' Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms.
My mistake. That's what I get for basing assumptions on what the news/media reports. I was watching Nightline or some other news program reporting the excessive murders in Chicago and how many were by firearms, and they made a statement about guns being banned in the city. I assumed they meant all guns.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
My mistake. That's what I get for basing assumptions on what the news/media reports. I was watching Nightline or some other news program reporting the excessive murders in Chicago and how many were by firearms, and they made a statement about guns being banned in the city. I assumed they meant all guns.

It's a common misconception. Gun ownership is restrictive here but by no means illegal and there are several challenges pending against the new requirements, personally I consider them onerous. They are largely pointless anyway since it has no appreciable effect on crime rates.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
It's a common misconception. Gun ownership is restrictive here but by no means illegal and there are several challenges pending against the new requirements, personally I consider them onerous. They are largely pointless anyway since it has no appreciable effect on crime rates.

I wish you had to jump through those same hoops to vote.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I wish you had to jump through those same hoops to vote.

I consider voter ID laws to be the opposite side of this particular coin. Both aim to restrict and prevent people from exercising their rights.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
It is clear you know nothing about the situation in Chicago, absolutely nothing.

I was responding to your distorted and false point about Katrina. Of which it was law enforcement who went around confiscating firearms from citizens after the hurricane hit. After which you than had the crooks in the same police department go around looting private property and murdering innocent people. Meanwhile gangs of thugs were ran rampant in the area and they also targeted unarmed citizens and their property.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally Posted by dmcowen674

I was responding to your distorted and false point about Katrina. Of which it was law enforcement who went around confiscating firearms from citizens after the hurricane hit. After which you than had the crooks in the same police department go around looting private property and murdering innocent people. Meanwhile gangs of thugs were ran rampant in the area and they also targeted unarmed citizens and their property.

My distorted view?

I was there. I almost died down there.

I saw it all and then some.

It brought out the worst and the best in humanity at the same time.

I can tell you several things that happened then.

Where I worked housed many police because their building went under water.

They also secured a Wal-mart nearby after the locals raided, looted and trashed it.

When I was rank after 5 days working trying to restore as much cell service as I could, one of the police took me to that Wal-mart to change my clothes.

Where you there? Or are you just spewing bullshit for the sake of spewing bullshit.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by nehalem256
Just ban guns with more than 7 round magazines and close the gun show loophole. Problem solved :colbert:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoblikat
But doesnt chicago have some of the strictest gun laws in the country? I thought it made sense to make lawful people unable to own guns?

This is the problem. None of the law abiding citizens are allowed to arm themselves, but there are still thousands of unregistered and illegal firearms in the hands of criminals/gang members. That is why the police are "outgunned", because they have little recourse to track/find these weapons and get them off the streets.

Another one that doesn't know what the hell they are posting about.

They are outgunned because the economy is shit.

The biggest part of the economy is the drug trade, that is why they are out-gunned.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Police, national guard, army, whatever, it makes no difference. The problem isn't a lack of policing capability, the problem is the culture of crime and violence among the population.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004

Another one that doesn't know what the hell they are posting about.

Yeah...my bad for correcting myself on it? :hmm:

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
Heh the people of Chicago will have the ultimate police state they desire. Full with AFVs on every corner and troops going on patrol. And finally, we will have invaded one of our own cities. Wonder if we can secure it as well as one of those dumps in the ME?

My little sister is not as big of a drama queen as you.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Per capta numbers are the only real way to look at the problem. The total number is inconsequential. Of course the total is what gets played up in the media because it makes an emotional impact.

Yea, but this is so much factless fun, cause you know who came from there.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
There is already a ban gun in Chicago. Probably all the ban did is encouraged people to go to other locations to buy guns. Dont give Chicago any Federal Aid. They caused their problems so let them solve their problems all on their own. Nothing a few Cameras wont help to solve. This is a morality problem and a gang problem. Chicago is one big city.

Take the guns from the cops.

They need mandatory capital punishment for all gun crimes.

Last edited:

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Illinois is a police state to buy a gun legally you have to submit an application with your firngerprints. So much for the right to bear arms.