Calling chess players

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I got the newest chessmaster game and I'm going throught the Chess Academy where it teaches you how to play. I already know the basics of how to play, but it's been a long time so I figured I'd see if it could help me do better.

I'm confused on what the difference is between a stalemate and a checkmate.
In both cases, the opposing side's king can't move, but the game is telling me I am stalemating instead of checkmating. I don't see how there is any difference between the 2.

KarmaPolice

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Stalemate is when the king is not in check...but can't move cause any move will put him IN check..so the game is a tie.

Checkmate is where the king is in check and can't move anywhere to get out of check

altonb1

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
Originally posted by: KarmaPolice
Stalemate is when the king is not in check...but can't move cause any move will put him IN check..so the game is a tie.

Checkmate is where the king is in check and can't move anywhere to get out of check

Pretty concise. Basically, the difference is in stalemate you are TRAPPED/SURROUNDED but not actively being attacked vs being trapped without an exit and having a gun in your face at the same time.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
There's another way to think about it, and it's one that I think is more instructive when looking for checkmate.

If the king is stalemated and your opponent still has a legal move, then any check that you can safely (without refutation) is checkmate. Sometimes it's visually easier to first look for a stalemated king and then look for another check. Smothered mates are a prime example.

altonb1

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
Originally posted by: Descartes
There's another way to think about it, and it's one that I think is more instructive when looking for checkmate.

If the king is stalemated and your opponent still has a legal move, then any check that you can safely (without refutation) is checkmate. Sometimes it's visually easier to first look for a stalemated king and then look for another check. Smothered mates are a prime example.

That answer is very convoluted--that is supposed to be an easier way to see it? <shrugs>

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
Stalemate - you got 2 different girls pregnant.

Checkmate - you got two different girls pregnant and then your wife finds out.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001

also if the king is the only piece left on the board you have to put him in checkmate in 10 moves I think or else it is considered a draw

Whitecloak

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Argo
Stalemate - you got 2 different girls pregnant.

Checkmate - you got two different girls pregnant and then your wife finds out.

:laugh:

computeerrgghh

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Nitemare

also if the king is the only piece left on the board you have to put him in checkmate in 10 moves I think or else it is considered a draw

That isn't in FIDE or USCF rules. The only rule that would really apply would be the 50 move rule (no captures or pawn moves for 50 moves). For example, it is possible to checkmate a king with a king, knight and bishop. This mate takes more than 10 moves depending on position but less than 50. If the person with the knight and bishop struggles and goes to 50 moves, the other person can call a draw based on 50 moves.