Calling ATOT fishermen

Nov 5, 2001
I'm fishing in a fun tournament tomorrow night in 3 large ponds. We are trying for bass, catfish, and other (crappie, etc.).

I haven't fished in probably 20 years.....any tips on what bait and techniques to use for each type?

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: MikeyIs4Dcats
I'm fishing in a fun tournament tomorrow night in 3 large ponds. We are trying for bass, catfish, and other (crappie, etc.).

I haven't fished in probably 20 years.....any tips on what bait and techniques to use for each type?

Catfish are attracted to scents. Worms will work with catfish and I have found that pieces of raw shrimp will work just as well.

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
Originally posted by: MikeyIs4Dcats

Bass buster, Reel in ,let drop, reel in , let drop. Recast, repeat.

anchovies for cat, Let the bait lay on the bottom

for crappie Id use red worms and a bobber.

Journer

Banned
Jun 30, 2005
i dont know how people fresh water fish...i did it for years with my grandpa and we usually didnt catch much and it was worth eating or making a trophy of....

now deep sea fishing kicks ass....i went earlier this summer and caught like 5 red snapper, 2 king macral, and some other snapper....all the fish were huge, tasted awesome...and i suppose you could mount them if you wanted to...they were pretty freaking huge...lol...not to mention it didnt take long to get em :p

GeneValgene

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2002
smelly stuff for catfish (stinkbait dough, or chicken livers)

maybe some spinners or spoons for bass

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Not everyone that fishes is a fisherman.

Saltwater is where the action is. :)

SWScorch

Diamond Member
May 13, 2001
For bass, if the water is warm, I like to use a chunky plastic bait with lots of tentacles and fins and either reel it in real slow, or reel in fast enough so it skims over the surface. If the bass won't strike one retrieve, they'll usually go for the other. In cooler water, spinners, crankbairs, and spinnerbaits work well. Topwaters like Zara Spooks are awesome in calm water. As mentioned, stinky bairs for catfish, and crappies like small jigs.

Jun 4, 2005
Originally posted by: MS Dawn

Actually, emphasis isn't on the "man", meaning it could imply woman aswell.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: LoKe

Fisherwoman sounds sexy doesn't it? :p

nater

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2001
texas-rigged berkley powerbait 7 inch worms for bass -- black is my favorite, but pumpkinseed and motor oil are good colors too, depending on the condition

chicken livers dropped to the bottom without a bobber for catfish

crappie -- minnows on jigs or bobbers. Plain jigs will also work well. Might try looking for the "popsicle" color...it's really popular where I live

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002

Depends on which definition of "man" you use.
That's why the argument about it is stupid, man can refer to men and women, so why not assume that's the context being used? Damned feminists (not you, but generally, people who want <word> man to be changed to <word>person etc.
man
2. A human regardless of sex or age; a person.
4. The human race; mankind: man's quest for peace. )

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005

Fisherwoman sounds sexy doesn't it? :p

In regards to you? Of course. :heart:

:eek:

Originally posted by: Lonyo

Depends on which definition of "man" you use.
That's why the argument about it is stupid, man can refer to men and women, so why not assume that's the context being used? Damned feminists (not you, but generally, people who want <word> man to be changed to <word>person etc.
man
2. A human regardless of sex or age; a person.
4. The human race; mankind: man's quest for peace. )

A female police officer is called a policewoman. ;)

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
Here in Hawaii I've had the greatest success with Ahi(yellowfin tuna) bellies, make sure they are not too fresh, the more "potent" the smell the better. beef liver works good too but doesnt stay on the hook very well. chicken liver works but falls off even easier then beef. good luck!

PaNsyBoy8

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2001
use chicken livers marinated in fish sauce, u can't get stinker than that. and to make the chicken liver stay, use a piece of thread to tie it to the hook.

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
Originally posted by: PaNsyBoy8
use chicken livers marinated in fish sauce, u can't get stinker than that. and to make the chicken liver stay, use a piece of thread to tie it to the hook.

yall have never smelled the anchovies they sell at bait shops have you?

Oh yeh. If ya use the anchovies, try to wear rubber gloves and not touch your clothes.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: nutxo

yall have never smelled the anchovies they sell at bait shops have you?

Oh yeh. If ya use the anchovies, try to wear rubber gloves and not touch your clothes.

I bet if you hung them in front of a desk fan sitting on the front porch you'd have every cat and dog at your doorstep within a five mile radius. :laugh: