Calling Atlanta ATOTers

WhiteKnight

Platinum Member
May 21, 2001
I'm going to be attending a training class in Norcross, GA next month and I'm interested in checking out the city, as I've never seen Atlanta outside the airport before. I'll be busy during the day, but my evenings and nights should be pretty much free. What are my best options for getting around? I'll have a rental car, but I'm open to public transportation as well. What are some things I should make sure to see?

Is it safe? I live in Baltimore so I'm no stranger to shady/dangerous areas of town but of course I'd like to avoid any potential problems.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
transportation depends on where you plan on going but atlanta is a driving city overall. i drive everywhere and very rarely use MARTA (public transport). yes it is safe, i live in a SW part of the city in what many suburbanites would consider 'the hood' and i am familiar with all of the neighborhoods within the city. there is a very small section west of downtown (Vine City) that i would not want to hang out in at night but there is no reason for you to be near there.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Go check out Atlantic Station, GA Aquarium, World of Coke.

I actually work in Norcross (am here right now) and there isn't a whole lot to do here specifically.

If the weather is nice, Stone Mountain might be worth checking out also.

Depending on what time you're looking to drive to places, I'd say that's the best bet.

Avoid Under Ground Atlanta, it's basically a ghetto IMO.

What are you into? What do you want to do while here?

Tobolo

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Yes definitely avoid Underground. Centennial Olympic Park is there, but no big deal there. Tin Pin Alley is pretty cool and I would try to get to Stone Mountain if weather permits. Grape on Peachtree st, past the fox third light, its a winery that has great wine tastings.

I can't imagine you plan on hitting any clubs considering you are at training, but there are a TON of those.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
As others have asked, let us know what you like to do. If you're a foodie, I can probably help you out.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Tobolo
Yes definitely avoid Underground. Centennial Olympic Park is there, but no big deal there. Tin Pin Alley is pretty cool and I would try to get to Stone Mountain if weather permits. Grape on Peachtree st, past the fox third light, its a winery that has great wine tastings.

The Grape is no longer there. There's one in Atlantic Station and another around Inman Park Village.

Also, it's just a wine bar, not a winery.

ArmchairAthlete

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2002
Besides what was mentioned, there's some cool comedy stuff like improv at Whole World Theater, there's Dad's Garage too.

Fox Theater.

#1 touristy thing is probably GA Aquarium + World of Coke which are strategically located right next to each other.

Walk around Virginia Highland and go to Paolo's Gelato, mmm.

Google away to find out where these places are.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Only evening or nights free? Most attractions will be closed then.

Check out many strip clubs in Atlanta. The Cheetah and Pink Pony are my two favorites. Or you can check out Little Five Points and do some people watching.

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003
BTW, Norcross has areas that are not all that safe. Avoid Jimmy Carter Blvd south of I-85 for 1. You would need to practice your spanish and not doing gang sign stances to get around later at night.

You would need the rental car to get to public transportation... Traffic is heck here until about 7p.

Alternate entertainment

1) Fry's! There is a Fry's at Pleasant Hill Rd and I-85. The mall there is not so hot though.

2) Bass Pro Shop at Discover Mills Mall (Exit 108?) is kick butt if you are into that. There are not many around the country, so I mention it.

Don't do clubs, so no help there.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Atlanta Aquarium is really nice but only open until 5PM on weekdays and 6PM on weekends.

I'd say go check out a Thrashers game but they just went on a 10-day road trip. Plenty of bars in Buckhead and Midtown but I'm not into that. About the only thing around Norcross is a Barnacle's on Peachtree Industrial with a strip club (Oasis I think) right next to it. There's some shopping up on Pleasant Hill Rd but nothing great. There is a massive Country Bar up by the mall there though (edit: Wild Bill's)

Mall of Georgia is about 30 minutes up on I-85. Best thing there is the IMAX.

Like most cities, there are good areas and bad areas. Avoid Buford Hwy like the plague. Stay away from West End.

Again, some nice bars and restaurants in the Buckhead area. The sports radio station 790 the Zone is opening up a big sports bar near the Georgia Dome and Phillips Arena. It is supposed to be pretty impressive with beer taps AT the tables.

A couple of nice theaters downtown. A few comedy clubs.

There's stuff to do. Just a question of what you like to do and what times can you go do them.

I live in Norcross btw but most of my time is spent running kids to ball games. :)

konakona

Diamond Member
May 6, 2004
Originally posted by: lokiju
Go check out Atlantic Station, GA Aquarium, World of Coke.

I actually work in Norcross (am here right now) and there isn't a whole lot to do here specifically.

If the weather is nice, Stone Mountain might be worth checking out also.

Depending on what time you're looking to drive to places, I'd say that's the best bet.

Avoid Under Ground Atlanta, it's basically a ghetto IMO.

What are you into? What do you want to do while here?

hah! funny how I lived less than a block away from the aquarium (their parking lot could be seen from my porch) and never visited there.

Centennial Park makes a good jogging course though :)

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Queasy
Atlanta Aquarium is really nice but only open until 5PM on weekdays and 6PM on weekends.

I'd say go check out a Thrashers game but they just went on a 10-day road trip. Plenty of bars in Buckhead and Midtown but I'm not into that. About the only thing around Norcross is a Barnacle's on Peachtree Industrial with a strip club (Oasis I think) right next to it. There's some shopping up on Pleasant Hill Rd but nothing great. There is a massive Country Bar up by the mall there though (edit: Wild Bill's)

Like most cities, there are good areas and bad areas. Avoid Buford Hwy like the plague. Stay away from West End.

Again, some nice bars and restaurants in the Buckhead area. The sports radio station 790 the Zone is opening up a big sports bar near the Georgia Dome and Phillips Arena. It is supposed to be pretty impressive with beer taps AT the tables.

There's stuff to do. Just a question of what you like to do and what times can you go do them.

I live in Norcross btw but most of my time is spent running kids to ball games. :)

:confused:

Why do you say that?

I take that all the way up to 20 (Nelson Brogden) in Sugar Hill every day and it's better than PIB IMO.

Maybe the south side of Norcross is a different story or something?

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001

Why do you say that?

I take that all the way up to 20 (Nelson Brogden) in Sugar Hill every day and it's better than PIB IMO.

Buford Highway south of Beaver Ruin Rd gets progressively worse the closer you get to I-285.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003

Why do you say that?

Buford Highway south of Beaver Ruin Rd gets progressively worse the closer you get to I-285.

Ahh, I see.

Yeah I just take it from Pleasant Hill on up to Sugar Hill, which is much faster than PIB.

ArmchairAthlete

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2002
Buford Hwy is rough but has some great ethnic food hidden away in strip malls. Havana Sandwich Shop, Penang, etc.

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003
Originally posted by: ArmchairAthlete
Buford Hwy is rough but has some great ethnic food hidden away in strip malls. Havana Sandwich Shop, Penang, etc.
Got expense report? I think it is Sydney's at Pleasant Hill and Venture Blvd (sort of across the way from Fry's) that is killer. $$ Buffet that is upscale.