Calling Anyone Who Knows about refridgerators

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
Ok, bought a new house and the previous owners left all of the major appliances such as washer and dryer, stove and fridge. Even though the fridge seems to be a fairly recent model it has a habbit of taking a pee on the floor sometimes.

It will at times go a week or so without doing it and then all of the sudden do it 2-3 times in one day. Its not a slow drip on the floor either, its honestly like it just lets loose and leaves a puddle. Anyone have any idea what this is, what it could be caused from, if i can fix it easily or how much an appliance repair man would charge to fix?

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
My GF's fridge started doing that recently. Whenever it is a hot and humid day, water vapor gets into the opening on the bottom of the door. Then the vapor gets cooled by the fridge and it drips out the bootom, along with yellow rust. I just figured one day we'll plug the hole on the door bottom to solve the problem. There used to be a plug, but the previous owner somehow lost it. I don't know if that will work though.

jaedaliu

Platinum Member
Feb 25, 2005
http://fixitnow.com/

these guys give instructions on how to troubleshoot appliance issues. They got me through a fridge-side that wasn't cold enough, and an entire unit that stopped cooling.

As a guess, the freezer's defrosting, and the run-off is spilling out onto the floor. But that's a not-really-educated guess.

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
Temps inside the fridge are fine, and like I said, its not a slow drip like gradual condensation, its a very fast trickle that makes a puddle in around a minute. This unit does not have an icemaker even though it is equipped for one (no water is connected)

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
There may be a drain tube that is pinched, clogged up and/or frozen.

Evenually it thaws out and allows water to drain properly.

When clogged or frozen, the water may build up behind some type of d"dam" tnat eventually will let go.

Paperdoc

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
Likely source is the automatic defrost system and its drip tray. I'll give you three things to check.

1. Inside the fridge and hidden, there is a system to defrost the freezer automatically, with a tray to catch the melt water. From it there is a hose (sometimes you can see it inside the fridge) that goes out the back. Usually there is a fitting outside on the back, often between the back and the black-colored gridwork. Then there's a hose from here down to another water tray underneath the fridge at the bottom. The melt water is supposed to go down to the bottom tray, then slowly evaporate from there. Now, if the hose or any part of the upper tray and fittings gets blocked off (often with black mold) the whole system can back up and overflow water onto the floor, instead of into the bottom tray as it was supposed to do. Sometimes the hose on the back simply pops off the fitting and needs to be re-connected. Also check to be sure the bottom end of the hose actually drains into the bottom tray, and not directly onto the floor. IF you have to loosen the black gridwork on the back to get at the tubing, be VERY careful not to pull it or bend it too far - it is a radiator full of refrigerant, and any break or leak in it will ruin your fridge!

2. Sometimes this system is working perfectly, but it's just so hot and humid that the fridge defrosts very often and the bottom tray never evaporates fully before more water arrives. Then it can overflow. If that is happening, not much you can do, except for item 3 next.

3. If your door seal is poor, too much warm humid outside air gets into the fridge and it defrosts too often. Or sometimes, it's just that there is condensate forming at the door seal because of a poor fit and it drips down the front outside of the fridge. Either way, here's how to check the door seal. Simply get a piece of paper - say, a regular typing sheet. Open the door, then close it on the paper. By hand, pull the paper out of the seal again and feel how much drag there is. If there's little or no drag, the door is not sealing in that area. Work your way around the door to check it all. Then what? If the door adjustment is off you may be able to fix it by loosening the hinge mounting screws, moving the door slightly and re-tightening them. For example, if the poor seal area is near the top and on the handle side, you try to move the door top OUT from the fridge body so that it can close properly all the way across the width of the door (instead of just near the hinge). On the other hand, if you have odd scattered poor sealing areas, the problem may be simply that the seal is old and has lost its flexibility and should be replaced completely. Get parts and do it yourself if you can, or call a service tech.

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001
This happened to the freezer section on my fridge last summer. Remove everything in the bottom of the freezer and check to see if the drain hole is clogged. I'm guessing it is clogged and/or frozen. Use a few cups of hot water and clean it out.

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
I called a repairman and for $80 he checked it out and fixed it in all of 5 minutes. Just FYI in case this happens to anyone else. The problem was resolved by removing most of my food from the freezer side and removing the shelves. Behind them there is a panel that was removed to display the cooling unit. It drips water into a pan which in turn has a hose that goes to a drain pan under the fridge. He had to remove about 2 inches of ice from it and then squirt hot water into the tube to get it unclogged. Once this was done the water flowed to the underneath of the fridge where the warm air could evaporate it. Thanks for all the suggestions

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001
Originally posted by: RadiclDreamer
I called a repairman and for $80 he checked it out and fixed it in all of 5 minutes. Just FYI in case this happens to anyone else. The problem was resolved by removing most of my food from the freezer side and removing the shelves. Behind them there is a panel that was removed to display the cooling unit. It drips water into a pan which in turn has a hose that goes to a drain pan under the fridge. He had to remove about 2 inches of ice from it and then squirt hot water into the tube to get it unclogged. Once this was done the water flowed to the underneath of the fridge where the warm air could evaporate it. Thanks for all the suggestions

Bwahaha!!!! WTF did I tell you in my post above?! :| Way to go lazy...or is it moneybags? :roll: