Calling anyone in business

TheoPetro

Banned
Nov 30, 2004
What online resources do you regularly use?

I am looking around for forum type websites where I can ask questions and learn some stuff. I want to learn about ALL aspects of business so the more sites the better.

Also if you do something special (controller, inventory manager, division/branch manager, w/e) what technological tools (barcode scanners for tracking inventory, CRM software for managing customers, etc.) do you use or really like?

Thanks in advance.

Uppsala9496

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2001
I work in the insurance industry (directors' and officers liability, employment practices liability, fiduciary liability). I don't think any of the websites I visit would be of much help to you.
But you asked, so here you go:

Dun & Bradstreet to look at financial scores of companies.
FreeErisa.com to look at 5500 statements.
USPS to verify an address.
National Bio Member Alliance to verify participation.
EDGAR database to look at financial statements.

ATOT to waste time....

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
SugarCRM for a CRM solution. Open source, free and PHP/MySQL, though we paid for it to get support.

Asterisk as an electronic PBX both to handle the lines in the office, as well as to offer customer support menu system and live support queue.

JJChicken

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2007
FT.com for financial news. Best way to learn is to buy some books - none of that nonsense mainstream "The complete idiot's guide to being a CEO" stuff, but some of the university/college textbooks. I recommend 'Corporate Finance' by Brealey, Myers and Allen for a great (if hard to initially pick up) in-depth understanding to finance for a financial manager. PM if you have any business questions, I'm a business student :)

AccruedExpenditure

Diamond Member
May 12, 2001
I've started/sold businesses and currently work in the Business Unit of a Fortune 500 Tech company. What I've found is that the best way to learn about business is by reading actual print materials, both books and publications. Your local Barnes and Nobles or Borders has a sizable business section. I suggest you go there, read a business profile about a company you admire, see how they make money and any time you run into a concept or theory you don't understand either google/wikipedia it, or find a book related to it. Once you gain some general domain expertise in business, i'd then suggest you enroll in two beginning accounting classes at your local community classes to understand financial/mangerial accounting. (You don't need to take any more unless you plan on becoming a CPA).

Also read the following
The Economist - Good Marco Level Economic Stuff/Global View point
Business Week - US Business News/Trends
IBD - Easier to digest than the WSJ for entry level investor imo

I ended up majoring in Int'l trade at Cal and over half of my curriculum was business/economics focused, but I'd say the vast majority of my business knowledge comes applying the method descirbed above since I was 16.
-AE

TheoPetro

Banned
Nov 30, 2004
I am a business student and have taken

Macro/Micro econ
Financial accounting
Principles of management
Business stats

I am currently taking

Managerial accounting
Marketing
Business finance
Operations management

I am majoring in finance with a minor in math (2 classes until I have the minor) and I am involved in every aspect of a small commercial plumbing company. Basically my problem is that I cant learn enough fast enough through traditional classes. Thats why I was looking for something outside of my classes so I can get the required info asap.