Calling any guitar people?

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Keep in mind that model will have a bolt on neck, so there won't be a lot of sustain, and Epiphone's stock pickups are very muddy sounding. It's a well built guitar though, so you could upgrade the pickups later if you end up keeping it for a while (Burstbucker 1 & 2's go real nice on SG style guitars). The necks on SG's give you full access up to the 24th fret, so you can do your ear piercing squeal solos without stretching your fingers :)

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
It's an ok guitar, but it is really good for a beginner and maybe even a novice. I have a similair model that i bought years and years ago for $320, so $300 for that guitar is nothing to write home about. It's what i would expect to pay for that guitar anyways.

Like Fritzo said, the stock pick ups do kind lack oomph. I upgraded my pick ups to the ones that were on the elitest, elitist edition or what ever it was called. Sounds much better and I only paid $40 for both pick ups (this was when craigslist was good). The problem is that the rythm pick up really over powers the treble pick up, so turning on both pick ups at the same time doe snot really do anything.

Vegitto

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
I like how the SG has virtually no heel. Damn, I wish there was a guitar with the looks and sound of a Stratocaster, but without the damn heel.
Go for it, dude!

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Gibson486
It's an ok guitar, but it is really good for a beginner and maybe even a novice. I have a similair model that i bought years and years ago for $320, so $300 for that guitar is nothing to write home about. It's what i would expect to pay for that guitar anyways.

Like Fritzo said, the stock pick ups do kind lack oomph. I upgraded my pick ups to the ones that were on the elitest, elitist edition or what ever it was called. Sounds much better and I only paid $40 for both pick ups (this was when craigslist was good). The problem is that the rythm pick up really over powers the treble pick up, so turning on both pick ups at the same time doe snot really do anything.

Try lowering the neck pickup.

To the OP, it's an OK guitar but the pickups and tuners are most likely garbage. Should be easy to replace the pups or get a boost pedal on the cheap to compensate.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Platypus
Originally posted by: Gibson486

Try lowering the neck pickup.

To the OP, it's an OK guitar but the pickups and tuners are most likely garbage. Should be easy to replace the pups or get a boost pedal on the cheap to compensate.

Yeah, I would suggest lowering the pickup as well. There are either two or four screws around the pickup housing. You'll want to lower them a little bit at a time. Be sure your guitar is unplugged from your amp while you do this. The more you lower it, the less hot the pickup will get.

If you have a problem with the stock Epiphone tuners (I did), try some Grover Mini's. They're cheap (around $50/set) and they fit perfectly in the predrilled holes.

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Just find a used Ibanez RG 5xx series guitar, swap out the pups with some higher output Dimarzio's, some decent strings and you got one heck of a rock guitar that will blow many away which cost hundreds more.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Like others said, it's an ok guitar. Epiphone is Gibson's "budget" line, so most of those are mass-produced/factory/machine made. However, for a beginner, that is an excellent choice. Lucky Fender has a Mexican "line"; I wanted a Strat when I got my guitar, so instead of going Squire, I went for a Mexican Strat.

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
I myself wouldn't ever buy a guitar online. You have to play it to get the feeling and sound of it. All guitars are different -- even if they are supposed to be the same.

ghost recon88

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2005
Originally posted by: Imp
Like others said, it's an ok guitar. Epiphone is Gibson's "budget" line, so most of those are mass-produced/factory/machine made. However, for a beginner, that is an excellent choice. Lucky Fender has a Mexican "line"; I wanted a Strat when I got my guitar, so instead of going Squire, I went for a Mexican Strat.

Yea, my bro has been playing for 10 years or so, and has done everything possible to keep me away from the Mexican Strats. The reason I chose this model is because I <3 the SG body, and I knew Epiphone was Gibson's budget line, so I figured they might be pretty decent.