Calling all overclockers -- E6400 vs E6600

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sanitydc

Aug 26, 2006
i've got mine running at 3.6 24/7, temps idle high 40's (CORETEMP) and load low 60's.
when i got my tt bt obviously i took off the stock hsf, i removed the fan from the stock intel and hung it off my ttbt,fit like a charm and i've never had system temp problems, my cpu was running a bit hot tho so i lapped it and voila, happy system.

Pugnate

Jun 25, 2006
Well can someone help me decide on a mobo? I have the P5W DG2WS, the P5W DH and the P5B all available to me, but from the mobo forums they seem like frightening motherboards!

I will let you guys know what I have decided on, once I do. Also how difficult is it to overclock processors? I haven't done it before. Hopefully you guys can guide me. :)

But I guess I need a good mobo and can't decide. Actually they all seem to have so many problems? I don't mind spending $200+ as long as I can overclock ok and it allows me to perhaps go for a quadcore later?

clkio

Mar 26, 2005
Originally posted by: Pugnate
Well can someone help me decide on a mobo? I have the P5W DG2WS, the P5W DH and the P5B all available to me, but from the mobo forums they seem like frightening motherboards!

I will let you guys know what I have decided on, once I do. Also how difficult is it to overclock processors? I haven't done it before. Hopefully you guys can guide me. :)

But I guess I need a good mobo and can't decide. Actually they all seem to have so many problems? I don't mind spending $200+ as long as I can overclock ok and it allows me to perhaps go for a quadcore later?

P5B deluxe is a nice overclocker, no problem wat so over with mine. But some people don't like it and they prefer gigabyte. As long as you got 200+ to spend on a mobo, anything will overclock nicely I beieve

mauve

Nov 12, 2006
Well i got a E6400 with P5B Deluxe and i dont overclock, is it necessary to overclock when there's no need as most games can be played at medium high settings stable at 42-45 C....I dont think so..
As for E6400 Vs E6600 if you have the money go for E6600 if not E6400 is awesome....

Pugnate

Jun 25, 2006
So if I pair a E6400 with the Kingston 667 with a P5W DH I should be able to hit 3.0? That's all I want really.

MADMAX23

Apr 22, 2005
So if I pair a E6400 with the Kingston 667 with a P5W DH I should be able to hit 3.0? That's all I want really.

Get the P5B Deluxe, Pugnate. It's the best board right now for overclocking a C2D chip.

The P5W DH, overclocks worse, I mean, its FSB cannot be set as higher as P5B Deluxe's, and that is crucial for overclocking, even more for E6300 and E6400 chips.
P5W DH is an excellent board but you'll save some cash and be plenty satisfied with a P5B Deluxe, the best overclocker right now as I mentioned before.

If you are not going for Crossfire, you are going to use only one VGA card as you already do, so why would you want a P5W DH board?.
Also note that the overall performance in real life apps including games is very similar comparing the two ASUS contenders, so again, save your cash and get overclockability....in other words, ASUS P5B Deluxe.

Glad to see you'll keep your Kingston DDR2 667 sticks for a while...test them on your future system (E6400 and P5B Deluxe most likely) and then you'll decide their future if they cannot reach DDR2 800 speeds (something that will not happen IMO).

And oh, to answer your question; Yes, with a 6400, your DDR2 667 sticks and a P5W DH board, you'll most likely be able to hit 3.00 Ghz....but consider getting the P5B Deluxe first..that's all.

Good Luck!!

Pugnate

Jun 25, 2006
Thanks so much for the replies. I have decided on the E6400 after reading benchmarks. You guys were right, it does overclock better than the E6600. That is just crazy! Plus the extra cache for the E6600 seems to make very little difference in games.

So now that leaves the mobo. I am probably going to go for the P5B, but I didn't find out what P5B they have at the store. There are so many versions, does it matter? If someone can explain the various P5Bs I'd be grateful. thanks

edit:

There is the standard P5B and there is the P5B Deluxe. Any difference?

NYHoustonman

Platinum Member
Dec 8, 2002
A little OT... Just got an E6400, along with the EVGA 680i motherboard, and I'm just now looking into overclocking the thing. I notice there are two voltages related to what I'm working with, FSB and CPU. You guys all mention your CPU voltages... Should I assume that this stays at stock? I'd like to get the maximum overclock I can with this thing while keeping voltages low, right now I have it at 2.7Ghz with stock voltages (conservative, I know, I just chose something I knew would work for now).

VooDooAddict

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2004
Originally posted by: NYHoustonman
A little OT... Just got an E6400, along with the EVGA 680i motherboard, and I'm just now looking into overclocking the thing. I notice there are two voltages related to what I'm working with, FSB and CPU. You guys all mention your CPU voltages... Should I assume that this stays at stock? I'd like to get the maximum overclock I can with this thing while keeping voltages low, right now I have it at 2.7Ghz with stock voltages (conservative, I know, I just chose something I knew would work for now).

You are in fairly new territory. Not many people have a 680i board to overclock. Have fun exploring the overclocking ptoential of the new board. Me = jealous

NYHoustonman

Platinum Member
Dec 8, 2002
Originally posted by: VooDooAddict
Originally posted by: NYHoustonman

You are in fairly new territory. Not many people have a 680i board to overclock. Have fun exploring the overclocking ptoential of the new board. Me = jealous

Aye, it's just a little overwhelming, my last processor was an Athlon XP and this is my first Intel chip in general. I just wasn't sure if that was a common option on motherboards... If it's not, I would assume the majority of people leave it at stock.

clkio

Mar 26, 2005
if all you want is to over clock to 3ghz, the E6300 will do just fine, save yourself the 30bucks and spend it on some good ram. I can push my E6300 to 3.2Ghz without any problems, but I am happy with the 3. As for the over clocking board, I am really impressed with my asus P5B deluxe, its worth the money. but I heard that the none deluxe, sucks ballz when it comes to overclocking. It all depends on what you want, and how much you got to spend

Pugnate

Jun 25, 2006
Well I went to buy the P5B Deluxe but it wasn't in stock and they gave me a pretty nice deal on a certain P5W DH DELUXE instead.

The E6600 was what I initially wanted, but after this thread and reading stuff on the net, it definitely wasn't worth it. I got the E6400 instead. Will post pics of my rig soon.

Just one question... how do I go about overclocking? :D

microAmp

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2000
Well I went to buy the P5B Deluxe but it wasn't in stock and they gave me a pretty nice deal on a certain P5W DH DELUXE instead.

The E6600 was what I initially wanted, but after this thread and reading stuff on the net, it definitely wasn't worth it. I got the E6400 instead. Will post pics of my rig soon.

Just one question... how do I go about overclocking? :D

This ought to help, or confuse you more :)
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview...atid=28&threadid=1441072&enterthread=y

ALECUBA

Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by MichaelD:
......Might as well spend the extra $50 or whatever to get the 6400 and the 8x multi. So far, I'm very happy with mine. I'll be happier when my Arctic Freezer 7 comes in and I can ditch this POS stock HSF.

sry, im new in this bussiness of oc....what did u mean by the 8x multiplier, it comes already with the cpu??
thanks

Pugnate: go to ncix.com they have very good prices better than here in TO even with tax and everything.

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
E6400 running 3.2Ghz at stock voltage with an AC Freezer Pro 7 on a DS3 Rev 1.0(F7 bios) and 1 gig of Corsair DDR2-800 RAM. It runs at this speed 24/7 and is very sweet. :) Text

Gannon

Jul 29, 2004
The E6600 is a better overclocker if you want to push the limits of overclocking, it highly depends on the combination of cpu, motherboard and ram you have.

With my P5W DH Deluxe, I cannot go over 420mhz FSB without increasing FSB voltage. 440mhz FSB was the max stable FSB I could achieve with a bit of overvolting. If I had gotten an E6400 it would have limited my overclock.

I can run my CPU @ 3.7Ghz stable with an aftermarket cooler, so I'm happy. It all depends on the money you wantto spend. Either way I don't plan to upgrade for a long time.

Imyourzero

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
I am facing a similar dilemma, and I can see why it's so confusing for a person to choose components. There is simply a lot of conflicting information out there. Some say the 6400/6600 OC the same, others say the 6600 is king. It would seem that the 6600 is capable of a higher OC in the end, but the 6400 is capable of a greater overclocking percentage since it runs at 2.13 stock and many people achieve 3.2-3.4 with them. Some people do achieve 3.4-3.6 with the E6600 but most people seem to be running around 3.2...

As for mobos, AnandTech claims the P5W DH Deluxe as the best yet I've seen a ton of recommendations for the P5B Deluxe. I'm sure they're both great boards, but once again this information can make it confusing for some people. I would think the general recommendation would be the P5B Deluxe for the E6400 due to its ability to run higher FSBs and the DH Deluxe for the E6600 since you don't have to raise the FSB as much to achieve a decent overclock with that CPU.