Calling all EQ1 fans that want to give it a try again

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Steam is having a 11th anniversary sale on EQ1 for 10 days.

It includes all 15 expansion packs as well for $2.50, free 30 days of game time for making a new EQ account as well.

Last edited:

Saga

Banned
Feb 18, 2005
Man. Last time I picked this game up I was 11 boxing previous expansion raid content.

Not sure I wanna pay 11x14.95 again. This game is foundationally built around grouping and at this point the actual leveling is the worst part (due to not being able to FIND said groups), even with the mercenaries. If I played from scratch I'd have to box again.

On the bright side when I cashed out all accounts + items netted me over 8 grand.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
Being a former hard core ACer, I always kind of wanted to run around Everquest for a bit to see what it was like.

Maybe this is a good chance to do that.

JeffNY35

Dec 16, 2009
Steam is having a 11th anniversary sale on EQ1 for 10 days.

It includes all 11 expansion packs as well for $2.50, free 30 days of game time for making a new EQ account as well.

This sends shivers down my spine. EQ1 was my first mmo and the experience was unforgettable. So much bad/good, overall the most addicting thing I ever played. I quit after the third expansion I think? or second. Wow.... there are ELEVEN expansion packs?

Not that I am going to do this - but it would be disturbingly fun to play this again with a select group of people on a brand new server that was pvp and EVERYONE had to start at level 1 again un-twinked. White Sands, Sand Giant trains and ganking....all over...again! Good lord....lets do it!!

On second thought...no.

:)

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
This sends shivers down my spine. EQ1 was my first mmo and the experience was unforgettable. So much bad/good, overall the most addicting thing I ever played. I quit after the third expansion I think? or second. Wow.... there are ELEVEN expansion packs?

Not that I am going to do this - but it would be disturbingly fun to play this again with a select group of people on a brand new server that was pvp and EVERYONE had to start at level 1 again un-twinked. White Sands, Sand Giant trains and ganking....all over...again! Good lord....lets do it!!

On second thought...no.

:)

I was a bit wrong, well mixed it up rather, this is the 11th anniversary for the game but there are 15 total expansion packs included

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
Being a former hard core ACer, I always kind of wanted to run around Everquest for a bit to see what it was like.

Maybe this is a good chance to do that.

I (heart) the good ole days of AC. The original story arc owned, and I was a Sentinel for a short time before they shut the program down.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Lol, 11 boxing it, now that's insane. Never played the EQ series, but 3 bucks to just say I've seen it does sound somewhat intriguging. If there is no time limit on when your 30 days start (I.e. I probably would not be starting soon) I may give it a go.

Besides, this would help keep my $$$ per game ratio spent on steam rather low given that this would be for 16 games. :)

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Lol, 11 boxing it, now that's insane. Never played the EQ series, but 3 bucks to just say I've seen it does sound somewhat intriguging. If there is no time limit on when your 30 days start (I.e. I probably would not be starting soon) I may give it a go.

Besides, this would help keep my $$$ per game ratio spent on steam rather low given that this would be for 16 games. :)

lol

The trail doesn't start till you tied the key to your station account you have to make

I bought it, figured in a few weeks I'll start it up when I know I have a slow weekend/week ahead of me, just downloading the files now so I can jump right in when ready.

Lakedaimon

Jan 29, 2009
If you've been craving the original EQ experience, do a search for Project 1999. Its an emulated server thats been lovingly recoded back to the original 1999 vanilla version. No beastlords, no berzerkers, old freeport etc. They plan to open up Kunark and Velious roughly after the same amount of time has passed since "launch". And they do not plan to do Luclin and beyond. They just now did the first wave of historical nerfs so manastones and rubicite no longer drop. Kunark isnt due to open until October. You just need to find a copy of EQ Titanium. No boxing is allowed, and server is averaging 250-550 people at any given time.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
If you've been craving the original EQ experience, do a search for *********. Its an emulated server thats been lovingly recoded back to the original 1999 vanilla version. No beastlords, no berzerkers, old freeport etc. They plan to open up Kunark and Velious roughly after the same amount of time has passed since "launch". And they do not plan to do Luclin and beyond. They just now did the first wave of historical nerfs so manastones and rubicite no longer drop. Kunark isnt due to open until October. You just need to find a copy of EQ Titanium. No boxing is allowed, and server is averaging 250-550 people at any given time.

pretty sure this is illegal or at least against the TOA. Besides, posting about it on the forums here is a no-no.
Funny how people here are so against piracy but emulated/free servers is ok.

Lakedaimon

Jan 29, 2009
If Sony made a proper classic server - the kind people have been clamoring for - id gladly play it. But they seem to refuse to admit that at some point the game lost its way.

I even played on that Progressive server a few years back but all they really did was lock out the expansions they left all sorts of overpowered gear/hot zones etc in the game.

I bought a legitimate copy of EQ Titanium to use it, and no one pays the folks running the server a dime.

laezyre

Apr 19, 2008
I was an original EQ1 player that played for 2.5 years. It was my first MMO and I was very addicted. So many good and bad memories... I could write for hours about this game. IMO WOW is simply EQ II. It pretty much came down to EQ vs real life, so I quit.

I'd love to spend a few hours with former EQ 1 addicts playing the first EQ. All the expansions made the game too hectic. I wonder what happened to my former guildies. Does anyone know of a good website to reconnect to former EQ players? What the heck is boxing?

Last edited:

Lakedaimon

Jan 29, 2009
boxing (e.g. 2 boxing, 3 boxing etc) is when people play multiple characters at once - like the poster above who said they ran 11 (!) at once. I feel like I struggle just keeping one character from screwing up I couldnt imagine any more than that. Back in the day EQ wouldnt run in windowed mode, and you couldnt even Alt+Tab out, so you would set up multiple computers to do it, hence boxes. I knew a guy who 4 boxed pretty well (warrior, shaman, cleric, rogue) but he still slipped up and had deaths. I had a monk at the time and id pull Karnor's basement or something for him.

Ive seen people doing crazy stuff like 60 boxing in EVE (ice mining) or in Wow (all Shamans)

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I (heart) the good ole days of AC. The original story arc owned, and I was a Sentinel for a short time before they shut the program down.

Wow, nice. I got into AC1 a little late, but man was it addicting. Was a hybrid UA that got up to around level 100.

laezyre

Apr 19, 2008
When you buy the $2.50 version with all 15 expansions, are all the zones available to you at once or is there a progression over time to open them up? I would rather go back to the days of project 1999 then spend all the time catching up with 15 expansions.

Feb 4, 2009
JeffNY you almost had me, this was by far my favorite game ever played for about 18 months. Lack of broadband and time killed it for me. I still wonder if I would find it fun again. I like the challange and the world seemed HUGE but I think the long down times to heal and taking the boat to travel could be irritating now.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Jesus...15 expansions.

I am glad I quit after being able to play when only the original game was out for a long time before the first expansion took things down the drain.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Jesus...15 expansions.

I am glad I quit after being able to play when only the original game was out for a long time before the first expansion took things down the drain.

The first expansion ruins of kunark was pretty good, but the second scars of velious was imo the best one out of all the ones I have played and heard about. SoV was a great expansion having to pick a faction and stuff.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
I think I'm going to get it; this could be my Summer gaming project.

Even if I can't get into it, $2.50 isn't really a huge investment.

I wonder if this special could somewhat repopulate the the game with people who never played. It would be cool to start from scratch with other noobs.

The only game I ever started right at launch was AC2, and I met some pretty coool people while playing and figuring things out. Being friends with Tumeroks was kind of weird.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Man, if only the 30 days could be applied to old accounts.

I guess EQ is a bit old, anyway. I shouldn't get sucked back into it.

Koudelka

Jul 3, 2004
I played for a solid 4+ years i think. I wouldnt dare try the game again.

With so many more expansions since I left, I imagine 98% of the game is absolutely dead and un-used content now.

I couldnt imagine picking this up and starting over again. Would feel like a wasteland.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Somebody do it and let me know how long it takes to download 15 expansions + the main game over Steam. Wondering if I would live long enough to play it.

laezyre

Apr 19, 2008
It doesn't seem worth it to try to catch up with 15 expansions.

I'm going for the project 1999. Check it out. It simulates the real time frame of events as they unfolded with the game's release. It will only go up to 2 expansions total. The game has been out for several months and won't use kunark until the fall-just like the original time frame.

I checked the forums and the game has very positive reviews from the players. The programmers are very involved and communicate regularly on the forums. They have a Rants section with people flaming each other for training or camp stealing, just like the old days.