Calling All Englishmen

txrandom

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2004
Do you get pissed when people call you Brits?

Ok update. I was in London and Jersey this summer for a few days. I stopped a pub in Jersey and had fish and chips along with some "mashed" green peas. Do any of you Brits have a simple recipe for split green peas? I bought some dried split green peas and am looking forward to eating the type of food I had overseas.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Englishmen?

EDIT: I'm not a Brit, but most don't mind, unless it's a silly American saying it in a snide way.

I think most of us Americans (or just me, at the very least) don't mind being called "Yankee" or "Yank" by foreigners, unless it's by a silly Brit saying it in a snide way. :p

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Originally posted by: waffleironhead
Well I can tell you I'm not an American, I'm a Wisconsinite. Get it right damn you.

Wisconsinner? Wisonconsinonian? Cheesehead? :D

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
Originally posted by: txrandom
Calling All Englishmen

Reporting for duty...

I guess some people consider themselves English first rather than British, and certainly a lot of Scots don't want anything to do with Britian, but we're all British technically, and European too.

SacrosanctFiend

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Originally posted by: Atheus
Calling All Englishmen

Reporting for duty...

I guess some people consider themselves English first rather than British, and certainly a lot of Scots don't want anything to do with Britian, but we're all British technically, and European too.

The Scots are not British. Toll-toine.

ArizonaSteve

Dec 20, 2003
I figure that living in a different country is going to result in being called "Brit" or "Limey". It doesn't bother me in the slightest.

acheron

Diamond Member
May 27, 2008
Originally posted by: SacrosanctFiend
Calling All Englishmen

Reporting for duty...

Britain is an island. Scotland is on that island. The Scots are British, whether they want to admit it or not.

SacrosanctFiend

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Originally posted by: acheron
Calling All Englishmen

Reporting for duty...

Britain is an island. Scotland is on that island. The Scots are British, whether they want to admit it or not.

Please, British has a modern usage of referring to the people of the 'United Kingdom.' If we want to get technical with the island's name, you can go ahead and refer to us as Albannaich, seeing as how it was refered to as Albion far before is was Great Britain.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Calling All Englishmen

Reporting for duty...

Please, British has a modern usage of referring to the people of the 'United Kingdom.' If we want to get technical with the island's name, you can go ahead and refer to us as Albannaich, seeing as how it was refered to as Albion far before is was Great Britain.

Yeah, so Scots are British. :confused:

SacrosanctFiend

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Originally posted by: WelshBloke
Calling All Englishmen

Reporting for duty...

I'm not going to get started on the Acts of Union or the current situation on the fight for Scottish independence. I simply don't have the time, and I'm already in a ticked off mood.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: WelshBloke
Calling All Englishmen

Reporting for duty...

I'm not going to get started on the Acts of Union or the current situation on the fight for Scottish independence. I simply don't have the time, and I'm already in a ticked off mood.

Its fine if you want Scottish Independence but just get a Scotsman to show you his passport and you'll get your answer as to whether Scotland is part of the UK or not.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Call an Englishman a Brit and he is fine with it. Call a Welshman a Brit and he'll tell you he's Welsh. Call a Scot a Brit and he'll lift his skirt and call you a lovely human (note intentional irony).

yours truly

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2006

Reporting for duty...

thought you were a kiwi?

i must be mistaken

Feb 6, 2007

So it's not the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland any more? A country comprised of England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland? Damn, I need a new map again.

txrandom

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2004
Ok update. I was in London and Jersey this summer for a few days. I stopped a pub in Jersey and had fish and chips along with some "mashed" green peas. Do any of you Brits have a simple recipe for split green peas? I bought some dried split green peas and am looking forward to eating the type of food I had overseas.

xcript

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2003
Meh.. I prefer to be referred to as English, but I'm not too bothered.

txrandom

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2004
I need a split green pea recipe. I've found recipes on the internet, but they are for other green pea foods.