Calling all Electricians: Does any company make quad gfic recepticals?

thespeakerbox

Platinum Member
Nov 19, 2004
I've seen doubles used together then covered by a quad faceplate, but never a quad receptical. Anyone know if they do, indeed, make quad recepticles?

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Why would you even have a double? You could gang some Decora outlets on the load side that would all be protected by the one GFCI and would have a sameness to their looks.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
No they just put two duplexes in an 1800 box. Also GFCI receptacles protect anything downstream of them. :)

thespeakerbox

Platinum Member
Nov 19, 2004
"You could gang some Decora outlets on the load side that would be all protected by the one GFCI and would have a sameness to their looks. "

Can you explain what that means?

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: thespeakerbox
"You could gang some Decora outlets on the load side that would be all protected by the one GFCI and would have a sameness to their looks. "

Can you explain what that means?

On the back of a GFCI there are set of connections taped over with yellow tape. Anything hooked up to those connections will be protected by the GFCI too.

Decora outlets have one large square face cutout on their covers (similar to the GFCI) rather than the two of a normal duplex outlet.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
The ONLY thing I've ever seen like you were talking about is something like this:
http://www.lindequipment.net/GFCImult.htm

MS Dawn explained what Squisher meant. Anything on the run "after" the GFCI is going to be protected by the GFCI and trip it if there is a problem.

Why would you even want a quad outlet receptacle? If it exists, it'd be extremely costly up front, and extremely costly to replace.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Make sure you get one with a flux capacitor if you're going to use it for mobile use.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Originally posted by: DrPizza
why not just get a GFCI breaker and protect the entire circuit?

GFCI outlet = 5~6 bucks
GFCI breaker = 60+ bucks

Anything downstream of the one GFCI outlet is protected, in any case.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: skyking

GFCI outlet = 5~6 bucks
GFCI breaker = 60+ bucks

Where are you buying your GFCI breakers? At max, they should only be costing you $40 for a 15A. Now if we're talking Arch Fault, that's a different story.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Local hardware stores, that is the price for a square D commercial line. I have not checked the 'homeowner' line for Square D.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001

GFCI outlet = 5~6 bucks
GFCI breaker = 60+ bucks

Local hardware stores, that is the price for a square D commercial line. I have not checked the 'homeowner' line for Square D.

Where the hell are you buying GFCI breakers for $60?! Run to menards, they are $12. even arc fault breakers aren't that bad. Square D arc fault breakers are about $40, I installed 2 about 6 months ago and I was pissed off that I needed to pay $39. You need to find a new store.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Evadman

Where the hell are you buying GFCI breakers for $60?! Run to menards, they are $12. even arc fault breakers aren't that bad. Square D arc fault breakers are about $40, I installed 2 about 6 months ago and I was pissed off that I needed to pay $39. You need to find a new store.

$12 for a GFCI Circuit Breaker? :Q

The lowest I've ever seen 'em at Hardware Stores was for about ~$30.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: BigJ
Originally posted by: Evadman

$12 for a GFCI Circuit Breaker? :Q

The lowest I've ever seen 'em at Hardware Stores was for about ~$30.

I got 2 GFCI's for my workbench in the garage. They were cutler-hammer brand (I think that's how you spell it) the GFCI recepticals I used for another part of the garage (on a regular circuit breaker) were $7 (I think) from harber freight. They were more expensive at depot.