Calling a Spade a Spade.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
Originally posted by: loki8481
Originally posted by: Stoneburner
This whole bitter thing was a non-issue from the start. It's the beltway freaks overreacting and right wing echo chambers amplified by the clinton proxies selling it nonstop.

this whole thing is just a distraction from the real issues voters care about... I think anyone who has the audacity to question whether the Obamas are out of touch with everyday Americans or brings up any aspect that reflects badly on Obama is afraid of Change and wants to kill Hope like the Romans killed Jesus.

we need to get back to discussing the important things that voters DO care about. like a trip to Bosnia over ten years ago.

In all fairness, Hillary brought that up a few times herself.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Originally posted by: spittledip
Originally posted by: loki8481
Originally posted by: Stoneburner
This whole bitter thing was a non-issue from the start. It's the beltway freaks overreacting and right wing echo chambers amplified by the clinton proxies selling it nonstop.

this whole thing is just a distraction from the real issues voters care about... I think anyone who has the audacity to question whether the Obamas are out of touch with everyday Americans or brings up any aspect that reflects badly on Obama is afraid of Change and wants to kill Hope like the Romans killed Jesus.

we need to get back to discussing the important things that voters DO care about. like a trip to Bosnia over ten years ago.

In all fairness, Hillary brought that up a few times herself.

You are both getting back into what they said and what they mean. I don't care. They are doing an outstanding job killing each other... grand.

What about the actually issue???

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: SirStev0
The sound bite is annoying. Elitist or not the man is right.

Right or not what can he do to fix it?

Rhetoric and words from him and Hillary won't help.

McCain said straight out he can't fix it and the jobs are never coming back.

So who do you vote for, the two liars or the Republican that says it like it really is?

I'm sure he'll lie about other things like Bush did with the fasle war but at least he won't lie about going against his buds in the high offices of the corporations he represents.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

So who do you vote for, the two liars or the Republican that says it like it really is?

I'm sure he'll lie about other things like Bush did with the fasle war but at least he won't lie about going against his buds in the high offices of the corporations he represents.

There was only one politician in this race I believed actually said what he believed and would do as he said, and he is gone.

Obama seems to be the only "statesmen". He is the only one left willing to talk about issues and offer results. The other two speak too much like politicians. I disagree with a lot of his ideas, but I respect his candor. Need more statesmen and less politicians. That is why Obama is probably going to be my choice.

Say all you want, but I lost all respect for McCain in the last 8 years. 2000 election the man had my vote, and I truly believe we would be in a better place right now if he would have won. The same goes for Gore, and probably many other politicians. But if McCain was there from the beginning he could have done great things. He was one of the few main stream republican's I still respected. He has lost that.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

There was only one politician in this race I believed actually said what he believed and would do as he said, and he is gone.

Obama seems to be the only "statesmen". He is the only one left willing to talk about issues and offer results. The other two speak too much like politicians. I disagree with a lot of his ideas, but I respect his candor. Need more statesmen and less politicians. That is why Obama is probably going to be my choice.

Say all you want, but I lost all respect for McCain in the last 8 years. 2000 election the man had my vote, and I truly believe we would be in a better place right now if he would have won. The same goes for Gore, and probably many other politicians. But if McCain was there from the beginning he could have done great things. He was one of the few main stream republican's I still respected. He has lost that.

A "statesman" bahahahahahah :laugh:

You've been successfully brainwashed, congrats :thumbsup:

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003

A "statesman" bahahahahahah :laugh:

You've been successfully brainwashed, congrats :thumbsup:

Say what you will... I am not the one getting caught up in words and labels. I look at results and issues.
I very interested that you would prefer someone who says "Oh well, tough, moving on" then someone who is willing to address the issue. Just because the jobs are gone, does not mean that their isn't ways to bring some back.

I am tired of real issues getting put on the back burner because they are too complex, or too touchy, or not something that will motivate a base. I am an American. I want my "politicians" to discuss and confront real issues. I don't want sleezy lines to get elected.

McCain has jumped into their system. He was once a main of honesty and values, now he is just another political figure piece.

Say what you will.. I guess I am brainwashed because I don't accept your opinion as fact.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
The question was asked - what do "they" want. Well, from my experience living in small town America(only recently moved to a metro type area). They just want to be left the F@#$ alone. In my hometown that seems to be the sentiment and the same for the town I graduated from(both around 2K people). The second has an ILLEGAL immigration problem and also now a drug problem but the people there would rather the Feds do their job at the border instead of shutting down the town every once in a while with their DEA or ICE vehicles. Doesn't happen often but they seem to think the problem should be taken care of earlier so they wouldn't have the Feds on their doorstep.

RY62

Mar 13, 2005
Originally posted by: RY62
Damn this is not going the way I hoped. I was hoping that we could some how get into addressing the fact that small town America is pissed that we are repeatedly getting boned. Unfortunately we grasp for whatever we can.

Not an argument over whether or not it is elitism or what he really meant when he said it.

How is it that your small town is "repeatedly getting boned"?

My area is bitter. The People are bitter. The jobs are gone. They have been gone for since the 1920's when mining crashed.

I'm trying to understand wtf is wrong with the people in your town but i just can't grasp it. You say the jobs left in the 1920's. That's like 80 freaking years ago. What the hell have the people been doing for 80 years? If they've been waiting for a knight in shining armor to come and rescue them, I can see why they'd be bitter. Newsflash...the knight ain't coming. Come on people...80 years...WAKE UP! Anyone with any sense should be leaving that town.

Even when there were jobs they were getting boned. But at least with those jobs you could put in a hard days work and come home with something to support their family. We have had industries come in for a while and hang around, giving some a job for a decade or two and then fading away.
People have been leaving. A majority of the towns are populated by older people trying to live off of social security. That is what is left. In the 1850's the town I had mentioned early with the "mexican invasion" had a larger population than New York City at the same time. People are leaving but still people stay.

I've been lucky. I am getting out. But for most of the blue collar works where should they go? To Allentown? The industry is gone. To Pittsburgh? The Steel Industry is gone. The midwest? to work in Auto Manufacturing? Those are gone. Maybe find a job in construction? Yeah with the housing crisis.

You still haven't answerd how "they've been getting boned" or given any indication of what you want politicians to do for you.

From your posts, it seems the biggest hurdle these people face is their own apathy. Forgive me for being blunt but, you give the impression that these have been, for generation after generation, a bunch of hopelessly depressed people, with absolutely no will to improve their own lives. I honestly believe that attitude has a lot to do with outcome in any situation and it sounds like the people are there own worst enemies.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Great original post. I've experienced this somewhat on the edges-spending summers in Clinton County, OH (just outside of Appalachia) in a farming area when farming was in a long term slump, and spending a big chunk of the 70's and 80's in a rust belt city.

No great solutions here, just a couple of more observations:

-it greatly saddens me when the major job "opportunity" for your average joe, who can't afford, is unable or just unsuited for college, is to enlist. Unfortunately that is the only growth industry available to most of rural youth.

-calling Obama elitist is nonsense and won't stick. This is a guy, after all, who just finished paying off his student loans and never really got into real money until his book got publshed. Secondly, a look at his campaign financing, with almost a million contributors, mostly small fry, shows he deeply resonates with the little folk. Thirdly, the elitist cry is coming mostly from partisans and Hillary-who has been living in a privileged bubble essentially all of her life, and definately for the last twenty five years. I especially got a kick out of Hillary's bristling "none of your business" response to when was the last time you went to church or shot a gun, right after she gave her smaltzy story about grandpa teaching her how to shoot.

The plight of small town and rural America, is very real and very hard to solve. In many cases, a positive solution is not really feasible, and people have to move on to new areas/new professions. An extremely tough message to deliver.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
The question was asked - what do "they" want. Well, from my experience living in small town America(only recently moved to a metro type area). They just want to be left the F@#$ alone. In my hometown that seems to be the sentiment and the same for the town I graduated from(both around 2K people). The second has an ILLEGAL immigration problem and also now a drug problem but the people there would rather the Feds do their job at the border instead of shutting down the town every once in a while with their DEA or ICE vehicles. Doesn't happen often but they seem to think the problem should be taken care of earlier so they wouldn't have the Feds on their doorstep.

small-towns are not statelets. They are afar more vulnerable to the larger world than you imply in your post. Hence, I highly doubt they want to be left alone. What they want is to stop their small town from being deserted and abandoned, turning into a ghost town. When the younger generation leaves, what's left of them? Little to nothing. So they want to be re-invented and that means jobs.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Damn this is not going the way I hoped. I was hoping that we could some how get into addressing the fact that small town America is pissed that we are repeatedly getting boned. Unfortunately we grasp for whatever we can.

Not an argument over whether or not it is elitism or what he really meant when he said it.

How is it that your small town is "repeatedly getting boned"?

My area is bitter. The People are bitter. The jobs are gone. They have been gone for since the 1920's when mining crashed.

I'm trying to understand wtf is wrong with the people in your town but i just can't grasp it. You say the jobs left in the 1920's. That's like 80 freaking years ago. What the hell have the people been doing for 80 years? If they've been waiting for a knight in shining armor to come and rescue them, I can see why they'd be bitter. Newsflash...the knight ain't coming. Come on people...80 years...WAKE UP! Anyone with any sense should be leaving that town.

Even when there were jobs they were getting boned. But at least with those jobs you could put in a hard days work and come home with something to support their family. We have had industries come in for a while and hang around, giving some a job for a decade or two and then fading away.
People have been leaving. A majority of the towns are populated by older people trying to live off of social security. That is what is left. In the 1850's the town I had mentioned early with the "mexican invasion" had a larger population than New York City at the same time. People are leaving but still people stay.

I've been lucky. I am getting out. But for most of the blue collar works where should they go? To Allentown? The industry is gone. To Pittsburgh? The Steel Industry is gone. The midwest? to work in Auto Manufacturing? Those are gone. Maybe find a job in construction? Yeah with the housing crisis.

You still haven't answerd how "they've been getting boned" or given any indication of what you want politicians to do for you.

From your posts, it seems the biggest hurdle these people face is their own apathy. Forgive me for being blunt but, you give the impression that these have been, for generation after generation, a bunch of hopelessly depressed people, with absolutely no will to improve their own lives. I honestly believe that attitude has a lot to do with outcome in any situation and it sounds like the people are there own worst enemies.

I don't disagree with your position. I believe apathy does play a part, especially when it comes to ones community. But I also believe that gullibility and ignorance have quite a hand in it as well. Far to many people fall for the bs politicians and businessmen feed them. They believe in certain values that have been lost a long time ago. They actually think that times have gotten better and they think they deserve opportunities.

I am a horrible at arguing. At my heart I am a pessimist and a pretty apathetic one at that though occasionally I see glints of optimism. I only spark at opportunities like this when I see something so blatantly true and sad.

When the jobs were around they were unsafe, dangerous, consuming, only barely worth having, and completely taking advantage of the system. Then they left and everything went to shambles. When new jobs came about like factory working and walmart, they just filled the void. Safer, but more embarrassing, and pathetic. Paying about the same and still beating down on the workers. But that is what the market desires. and unfortunately that is how the world turns.

I am not really one to talk. I have a bachelors degree; I am going to Medical School. I am no longer them. Occasionally, I look back and remember where I came from and it is sad. It will never get better. Especially since whenever it is mentioned, the rhetoric gets churning and the puppets spin the story. So yes, I guess it is there fault. They could always bust their ass. They could always seize the day. Hell, maybe they could even start the revolution. But let's be real... They aren't ever going to do anything. There is two sides to the American Dream. One side that says you can do anything and achieve whatever your heart desires, but the reverse is true as well. You can just say "fuck it" and take you lot and eat your pissed-in cheerios.

the story will be brushed a side and in a week no one will care. It will be back to Abortions and Buttsecks. Business as usual.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Dari

small-towns are not statelets. They are afar more vulnerable to the larger world than you imply in your post. Hence, I highly doubt they want to be left alone. What they want is to stop their small town from being deserted and abandoned, turning into a ghost town. When the younger generation leaves, what's left of them? Little to nothing. So they want to be re-invented and that means jobs.

:roll: no where did I suggest they wanted to be statelets. However, from what I've seen is they want the FED to leave them alone as they believe in a more local governance. That is NOT to say they think they are their own "statelet".

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003

:roll: no where did I suggest they wanted to be statelets. However, from what I've seen is they want the FED to leave them alone as they believe in a more local governance. That is NOT to say they think they are their own "statelet".

I don't think you are completely incorrect; however, I think You and I are speaking of two completely different small towns (I would never call my hometown a small town for fear that it'd confused with the small towns I believe you speak of).
You talk of the small town with white picket fences, and cozy dinners, and flags on every porch, where it always smells of apple pie and the neighborhood kids play pickup ball games. I am not trying to be condescending. I know places like this kind of exist. I have been to a few, down about 30 minutes outside Philly and around the Reading area, also throughout Lancaster. Towns like Leesport and Whomlesdorf. They exist and I think you have a pretty good idea about what they are like.

This isn't the area I speak of. I lived in a decaying boom town. My town was much nicer then a lot in the surrounding community, we were lucky enough to have a prison and mall that supplied a decent amount of jobs. Towns in my school district were not so lucky and were in much worse shape.

Basically a drive in any direction for at least an hour and sometimes more was a scenery of forests and wastelands filled in with white birch trees and black soil. Little strip towns, consisting of 10 to 30 houses crammed together on two or three blocks, barely standing spot along the road. Occasionally you hit a bigger town. The downtown a piece mail of closed businesses, dollar stores and holes where houses once stood, but burned down with no reason to rebuild. Then there are the manufacturing districts, usually right outside town and across the street from the rubble of old breakers. The creeks and rivers are all a disgusting orange color from the coal operations.

I had a really good buddy who lived down in the Reading Area who used to drive up Rt. 61 to visit. His favorite sign was right outside Pottsville. It was right along the road in between old railroad tracks and one of the orange creeks that dump into the Schuylkill River. It said something along the lines of "Depressed? Suicidal? Having Problems of Any Kind?" then gave the number for some suicide hotline. Always said it told him he had finally arrived in the coal region.

Check out the area around Tamaqua Pennsylvania. Towns like Coaldale, Rush Township, Barnesville, MacAdoo, Delano.

Around Pottsville, there is Palo Alto and New Philadelphia, St. Claire, and Minersville.

Or places around Shenandoah Pennsylvania. Towns like Girardville, Mahanoy Plane, Old Mine Run, Lost Creek, Mahanoy City, Locustdale, or the worst (best) example Centralia.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005

See, here's the problem with your view of it....they don't want to be left alone. They want to be made to feel that they are being left alone all the while, getting every penny that they can from the fed.

I grew up in a small PA towns that one of the pundits mentioned on Meet The Press this Sunday (Uniontown & Connelsville) and my family still lives there. I can tell you with absolute certainty that it is exactly what Barack and SteveO described.

When I was living there, it was a decent small town built around mining and within a reasonable drive to Pittsburgh so you had steel mill workers there also. It was slowly decaying all through my youth. The steel mill jobs slowly whittled away into oblivion. The mines dried up with the discovery that coal isn't really the cleanest fuel to burn to produce energy leaving abandoned strip mines being ignored. There was a Volkswagon plant about 15 miles away that closed up and moved the jobs out of the area.

Slowly the economy transitioned from a manufacturing/mining industry stronghold to a service industry survival-type economy. Restaurants would open and close as people tried their very best to make a living. Bars were always an option. Everyone drank. There really wasn't much else to do.

Then, almost as if choreographed, Wal-Mart moved in like they do in most regions. The populous was ecstatic. This meant that there would be jobs coming and people would have healthcare again. Sadly, Wal-Mart was something to be looking forward to.

Just about everyone went to a church of some kind. Sure they believed (or thought that they believed) in a god of some sort. But when they "spoke" to their god, it almost always was in response to a crisis. Whether it was a health issue or a job issue didn't matter. It was almost exclusively to ask for something instead of just to praise.

Guns were rampant (in a non-violent hunting sense) and just about everyone had one or at the very least had shot one at one time. Hunting was/is a way of life. The first day of deer season is so big that it is a school holiday and everyone gets the day off (Monday after Thanksgiving). The local paper still posts pictures sent in by hunters of the bucks that they were able to bag throughout the two week season.

Black/white racism is slowly disappearing. Blacks and whites realize that they need each other and while tension still exists, it is seen as a necessary evil at worst. Sure the older generations still espouse views that make their kids cringe, but it is usually dismissed with an appeasing nod and forgotten by most. But, with a slow migration of Hispanics to the area, now that is something both groups can agree is a problem. They are willing to do the few jobs that have always been there for the truly desperate and that isn't right and should have a stop put to it.

This is where your views differ greatly from mine. Sure they would like to be self sufficient. But they all know that that isn't something that is even possible let alone likely. They crave federal dollars. Highway funding keeps those that are able to work on road crews busy during the warmer months. Funding for housing is necessary for a good bit of the population as evidenced by the multiple housing projects located within such a small town. Welfare, food stamps and medicaid are all utilized and no one there would tell you that they are not wanted because they are being issued by the fed.

What is the solution? For me, it was to move away, hone my skills and make a life for me elsewhere. For most, they are unable to do that and what happens is they end up becoming bitter and bitching and moaning all the while, they get older, less likely to be able to get out, get further and further from the real solution and become more and more apathetic.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
So, we should vote for Hussein because if we live in a small town with few jobs more jobs don't just show up while we keep living there?

Well I guess you sold your soul for the right candidate. He does have the Nanny state on steroids economic plan.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Originally posted by: lupi
So, we should vote for Hussein because if we live in a small town with few jobs more jobs don't just show up while we keep living there?

Well I guess you sold your soul for the right candidate. He does have the Nanny state on steroids economic plan.

Speaking of Bitter. We already live in a Nanny State my friend.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
And I'd rather move out of it instead of asking for a gold trimmed nipple.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003

Oh, hey, sorry, My earlier comment we incorrect. We live in a Police State, not a nanny state. Also Gold Trimmed Nipples are considered an unacceptable lifestyle choice. Please enjoy your tasering and please stop hating the troops.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
And just to clear this up; No one is looking for hand outs. It is just sad that our government has no problem bailing out the big guys who already have the advantage and rewarding the scumbags who decide it is cheaper to have a 15 year old do the job in a factory with absolutely no safety measures halfway across the world.

Hope that helps.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007

Oh, hey, sorry, My earlier comment we incorrect. We live in a Police State, not a nanny state. Also Gold Trimmed Nipples are considered an unacceptable lifestyle choice. Please enjoy your tasering and please stop hating the troops.

:laugh:

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
And just to clear this up; No one is looking for hand outs. It is just sad that our government has no problem bailing out the big guys who already have the advantage and rewarding the scumbags who decide it is cheaper to have a 15 year old do the job in a factory with absolutely no safety measures halfway across the world.

Hope that helps.

Reminds me of a Bill Maher jab.....

Someone that can't pay one mortgage is called a deadbeat. Someone that can't thousands of mortgages is called Bear Stearns and we need to bail them out.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
I also imagine that you are the same people that feel "Ohhh so bad for the poor suffering peons who Obama insulted". Why? because it is another one of those non-issue that might rally their support behind you. You allow them to think that you are on their side. That you would never dare take away those last precious things they desperately hold on to.

You refuse to even acknowledge the real cause of the misery, but you bask in the attention and support squeezing up every opportunity to point out how different the other person is. You thrive by pointing out how they will try to take away those last ounces of freedom that barely maintain a good flavor in their mouths.

That is right. Keep thinking you are for the people. That you have someone other than your own interest in mind. Keep it up. We are still falling for it.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001

Hope that helps.

And yet obama is campaigning to take more money from those that have it to give to those with less.

Smells pretty handout'ish to me.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003

Hope that helps.

And yet obama is campaigning to take more money from those that have it to give to those with less.

Smells pretty handout'ish to me.

Almost. Stopping tax cuts because your somebody's old pledge buddy isn't unfairly taking from those who have. It is calling equalizing the playing field. I wonder how you old pal GW would have done if he didn't get handouts from his dad and cronies when he tanked business, after business, after business?

A handout would imply that he wants to take from one and give to the other. I believe one of his major platforms is to stop REWARDING THOSE WHO SEND JOBS OVERSEAS WITH TAX CUTS. If they are going to live and earn money in THIS country, they should have to PAY TAXES. If they want to continue to remove jobs from our economy they should no longer receive benefits from our economy.

Hope the caps helped your reading comprehension.