Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
Game looks interesting, but I am so sick of console ports. I own a PS3, Xbox360, and a Wii, and I will NOT play a FPS on any of them, and I will NOT pay for a half-assed console port to play on the PC.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: ja1484
Originally posted by: apoppin
Maybe your blind and can't tell the difference. You are the arrogant big something that tries to tell me what to enjoy and what not to

Red herring. Quote where I told you to enjoy or not enjoy something. Show me where I commanded you to do so. As I recall, the only thing I encouraged anyone to do was to enjoy whatever they wanted from the option available.

Yes, they ARE to cater to us ,, and if not fsck them

No, they're to cater to the demographics that provide the majority of their revenue, which is currently console gamers. It pains me as much as anybody, because the PC certainly has more capability than any console ever will and thus is capable of supporting far more featured games.

However, and the PC "hardcore" crowd would do well to own up to this so they can get over it and move on with their lives, the furious pace of hardware requirements and the comparatively high cost of PC gaming relative to consoles turns off many potential buyers.

Feel free to quote that recent story where EA said they see the PC as "becoming the largest gaming platform in the world" in the near future. Then check which platforms the majority of their releases are targeted for. I'll believe their PR spew when their actions, which will always speak louder than words, back what they're saying.

- i will buy a PC game where the devs are not lazy SoBs

It's not about laziness and you know it, but you need something to complain about, don't you? The game didn't make itself. It's not a half-assed job - you can tell that from the production values evident in the trailer alone, and the fact that it got picked up by a major publishing house.

It takes a hell of a lot more effort to make a game with any API than complain about the games that are being made by others on an internet forum. Who's lazy now?

you have no clue about business or serving customers whatsoever .. How do YOU make money?
:roll:

No, you have the common misunderstanding of what customer service is in business. You think customer service is to bend over backwards to every whim of the customer, no matter how esoteric or unusual because that's what YOU want done. Unfortunately for you, most people are far more reasonable or far less invested in tiny meaningless details, which is why these "consolized" games made by "lazy" developers continue to be profitable franchises.

A well run business attracts exactly the kind of customers it wants to service, and actively discourages business from the kinds of customers they would prefer not to have.

Remember a few years back when Best Buy broke out their store demographics like "Barry", "Ray", and "Buzz"? I was a poor college student at the time working retail at a Best Buy during the summers to cover rent, and I can tell you, because I was told from internal management, that those demographic stores were VASTLY (up to 80% in many cases) more profitable than the "serve everyone" stores.

Best Buy is still doomed anyway, because their business model is broken and they are now relying on ignorance. Newegg can provide the same or better items for far less money because they don't have to shovel money into a multi-national brick and mortar furnace. It's only a matter of time before consumers become smart enough to notice and their profits go down the drain. But we digress.

As for me, I make money as a full time Physical Therapist in a small independent practice company with eight clinics in my state. I deal with 12 to 15 patients daily, one on one, as a service provider - and every patient care plan I design HAS to be entirely a custom job, by default. That's the nature of medical care. I also have to manage relationships between my clinic, my clinic staff, and our referral base consisting of dozens of physicians and worker's compensation case workers in our area. In college (before grad school) I worked in the retail industry. In high school I was employed nepotastically by my mother as she continued to build her own small business (also in a service industry - pet and home care, where people were trusting us to take care of their pets and be in their homes while they were away- often for weeks at a time) that was very successful for 15 years before she retired.

I've forgotten more about business and customer service than you've ever known. Please don't make childish statements in an attempt to hide that your arguments have no value. Sometimes people are smart enough to see past that bullshit.

Anything else you'd like to go over?

If you were a potential customer in a business I was running, you would be invited to receive your services elsewhere. I can tell by your "intarwebz disposition" that you, or at least the person you represent yourself as on here, would not be an asset as a customer but a liability.

Edit: And, as an afterthought, I apologize about being rather terse - but your unwillingness to discuss this on a logical basis and insistence on going "I want I want I want!" and banging your fists on the table has led me to respond in kind. Enjoy. I'll be out of town the next 4 days on - for once - pleasure, not business. I'll see you Monday.

You use a lot of words. But that is all. You know nothing about business whatsoever and it show. No one is impressed with pure opinion.
You show you do not understand serving the customer at all.

Medical care is stupid and wasteful and they only care about themselves - not their patient - now i understand your callousness. That whole system serves the doctors, hospitals, BS heath plans and the drug companies - and is wasteful as hell. You "system" of crap non-service drags our economy down and provides little for the money spent. :|

i don't do things that way in my own very successful business [in 8 months we are the fastest growing tech site in the world] by serving our readers -our customers
Since techland was too goddamn lazy to do anything but a straight CONSOLE PORT, i will support PC gaming
they can go to hell

Blurry

Mar 19, 2002
The one thing I love about all the whole "games made for consoles in mind" thing is that for the first time in so many years, I have found it no longer necessary to constantly upgrade my video card because the tech has remained pretty much the same for the past 3 years.

An 8800GTX from 2006 is more than sufficient to play any games nowadays (sans Crysis) at High quality.

A look into my past cards lifespans:

~2000 Geforce 2 PRO - obsolete by 2001 because it couldn't play Morrowind without lagging
~2001 Geforce 3 - obsolete by 2002 because it could not play the Unreal 2 Engine based games at High Quality and 60FPS. Quake 3 based games were still O.K
~2003 Geforce 4 4200 - Ugh - not too long before a 2002 game (KOTOR I) made it feel useless
~2004 Geforce 6800 GT - COD 2 in 2005 made me think about buying a new card (which I did, ATi x1950 PRO)

I do not have very high demands - High Quality for everything except no AA/AF. Before I got caught by the widescreen bug, I was playing on a Sony Trinitron 17" CRT - resolution was 1152x864 @ 75Hz

Go all the way to 2006...

8800 GTX - plays TF2, UT3, BF2142, COD4 & 5, L4D, COH, etc.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Blurry
The one thing I love about all the whole "games made for consoles in mind" thing is that for the first time in so many years, I have found it no longer necessary to constantly upgrade my video card because the tech has remained pretty much the same for the past 3 years.

An 8800GTX from 2006 is more than sufficient to play any games nowadays (sans Crysis) at High quality.

A look into my past cards lifespans:

~2000 Geforce 2 PRO - obsolete by 2001 because it couldn't play Morrowind without lagging
~2001 Geforce 3 - obsolete by 2002 because it could not play the Unreal 2 Engine based games at High Quality and 60FPS. Quake 3 based games were still O.K
~2003 Geforce 4 4200 - Ugh - not too long before a 2002 game (KOTOR I) made it feel useless
~2004 Geforce 6800 GT - COD 2 in 2005 made me think about buying a new card (which I did, ATi x1950 PRO)

I do not have very high demands - High Quality for everything except no AA/AF. Before I got caught by the widescreen bug, I was playing on a Sony Trinitron 17" CRT - resolution was 1152x864 @ 75Hz

Go all the way to 2006...

8800 GTX - plays TF2, UT3, BF2142, COD4 & 5, L4D, COH, etc.

That doesn't have much to do with consoles, it's more to do with the nature of engine development.
You can't expect a new engine every year, and to make a new next-gen engine takes time (and potentially more time each interation).
We had Quake -> Quake 2 -> Quake3/Unreal -> Quake 4/Unreal2 -> Unreal 3 / Crysis (half step ahead kinda) which is where we are now.
Really only when Unreal 4 and its ilk arrive will there probably be a large leap in demands, although people will add to UE3 engine level stuff (sort of like Bioshock did) which will increase demands.
Crysis is the most recent engine and that still came out in 2007, which is why since 06/07 there hasn't been a major requirement for a new card, it's not so much to do with developing also for consoles (although that has an effect since engine devs will target a console generation as well, e.g. Unreal Engine 4 being targeted at post 360/PS3 consoles).

That's possibly also why there isn't a huge use of DX10. Not many engines support it even though it's been out 2 years because not many engines have come out in the last 2 years really.
The engine for Company of Heroes/DoW2 has some small DX10 bits I think.
Unreal Engine 3 I am not sure about.
Crysis has a DX10 mode but nothing to shout about.
Source has received updates but its base is even older so DX10 isn't really going to happen.
(Could also add Gamebryo which is Oblivion/Fallout 3. And I'm sure there are other engines but I just covered a few examples. CoD4/5 are the same time as Crysis but aimed lower so it compares more with UE3 in terms of requirements etc)

Until the major engine devs make a new engine we won't (IMO) see a huge amount of DX10 stuff coming because adding it to the engines still in use probably doesn't seem worthwhile, and for smaller studios using their own engines, it's even less worthwhile.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Originally posted by: ja1484
Maybe your blind and can't tell the difference. You are the arrogant big something that tries to tell me what to enjoy and what not to

Red herring. Quote where I told you to enjoy or not enjoy something. Show me where I commanded you to do so. As I recall, the only thing I encouraged anyone to do was to enjoy whatever they wanted from the option available.

Yes, they ARE to cater to us ,, and if not fsck them

No, they're to cater to the demographics that provide the majority of their revenue, which is currently console gamers. It pains me as much as anybody, because the PC certainly has more capability than any console ever will and thus is capable of supporting far more featured games.

However, and the PC "hardcore" crowd would do well to own up to this so they can get over it and move on with their lives, the furious pace of hardware requirements and the comparatively high cost of PC gaming relative to consoles turns off many potential buyers.

Feel free to quote that recent story where EA said they see the PC as "becoming the largest gaming platform in the world" in the near future. Then check which platforms the majority of their releases are targeted for. I'll believe their PR spew when their actions, which will always speak louder than words, back what they're saying.

- i will buy a PC game where the devs are not lazy SoBs

It's not about laziness and you know it, but you need something to complain about, don't you? The game didn't make itself. It's not a half-assed job - you can tell that from the production values evident in the trailer alone, and the fact that it got picked up by a major publishing house.

It takes a hell of a lot more effort to make a game with any API than complain about the games that are being made by others on an internet forum. Who's lazy now?

you have no clue about business or serving customers whatsoever .. How do YOU make money?
:roll:

No, you have the common misunderstanding of what customer service is in business. You think customer service is to bend over backwards to every whim of the customer, no matter how esoteric or unusual because that's what YOU want done. Unfortunately for you, most people are far more reasonable or far less invested in tiny meaningless details, which is why these "consolized" games made by "lazy" developers continue to be profitable franchises.

A well run business attracts exactly the kind of customers it wants to service, and actively discourages business from the kinds of customers they would prefer not to have.

Remember a few years back when Best Buy broke out their store demographics like "Barry", "Ray", and "Buzz"? I was a poor college student at the time working retail at a Best Buy during the summers to cover rent, and I can tell you, because I was told from internal management, that those demographic stores were VASTLY (up to 80% in many cases) more profitable than the "serve everyone" stores.

Best Buy is still doomed anyway, because their business model is broken and they are now relying on ignorance. Newegg can provide the same or better items for far less money because they don't have to shovel money into a multi-national brick and mortar furnace. It's only a matter of time before consumers become smart enough to notice and their profits go down the drain. But we digress.

As for me, I make money as a full time Physical Therapist in a small independent practice company with eight clinics in my state. I deal with 12 to 15 patients daily, one on one, as a service provider - and every patient care plan I design HAS to be entirely a custom job, by default. That's the nature of medical care. I also have to manage relationships between my clinic, my clinic staff, and our referral base consisting of dozens of physicians and worker's compensation case workers in our area. In college (before grad school) I worked in the retail industry. In high school I was employed nepotastically by my mother as she continued to build her own small business (also in a service industry - pet and home care, where people were trusting us to take care of their pets and be in their homes while they were away- often for weeks at a time) that was very successful for 15 years before she retired.

I've forgotten more about business and customer service than you've ever known. Please don't make childish statements in an attempt to hide that your arguments have no value. Sometimes people are smart enough to see past that bullshit.

Anything else you'd like to go over?

If you were a potential customer in a business I was running, you would be invited to receive your services elsewhere. I can tell by your "intarwebz disposition" that you, or at least the person you represent yourself as on here, would not be an asset as a customer but a liability.

Edit: And, as an afterthought, I apologize about being rather terse - but your unwillingness to discuss this on a logical basis and insistence on going "I want I want I want!" and banging your fists on the table has led me to respond in kind. Enjoy. I'll be out of town the next 4 days on - for once - pleasure, not business. I'll see you Monday.

You use a lot of words. But that is all. You know nothing about business whatsoever and it show. No one is impressed with pure opinion.
You show you do not understand serving the customer at all.

Medical care is stupid and wasteful and they only care about themselves - not their patient - now i understand your callousness. That whole system serves the doctors, hospitals, BS heath plans and the drug companies - and is wasteful as hell. You "system" of crap non-service drags our economy down and provides little for the money spent. :|

i don't do things that way in my own very successful business [in 8 months we are the fastest growing tech site in the world] by serving our readers -our customers
Since techland was too goddamn lazy to do anything but a straight CONSOLE PORT, i will support PC gaming
they can go to hell

Folks, this is why I stopped going to the video forum for a couple years. How about this crap stays there?

I, for one, am excited that this is a game franchise that was a)original and b)made enough money to fund a sequel.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

Folks, this is why I stopped going to the video forum for a couple years. How about this crap stays there?

I, for one, am excited that this is a game franchise that was a)original and b)made enough money to fund a sequel.

And some of us are not the slightest bit excited about a straight console port - ESPECIALLY because techland already did DX10 in the original and it LOOKS a LOT better than CoJ DX9c :p

some of us in the video forum actually know something about graphics
rose.gif

schneiderguy

Lifer
Jun 26, 2006

And some of us are not the slightest bit excited about a straight console port - ESPECIALLY because techland already did DX10 in the original and it LOOKS a LOT better than CoJ DX9c :p

some of us in the video forum actually know something about graphics
rose.gif

There's nothing they did in the DX10 path that couldn't be done in DX9.

Higher res textures arent a DX10 feature, sorry :p

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
nonsense

run the benchmark in DX10 and check out the visual differences for *yourself*

CoJ is ONE game no one who played in both Dx9 and Dx10 argues about :p

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
nonsense

He is not suggesting there are no differences, he is suggesting that the developers could have made what you see in DX10 mode possible in DX9 mode, if they had so coded it, but instead they only made it possible in DX10 mode.
Whether or not he is right in his assumption is another matter, but the developers also imply that they can make it pretty decent only using DX9 and that a DX10 mode isn't *required* to make it look good.

Just because the DX10 mode in CoJ adds stuff that's not in the DX9 mode doesn't mean those additions aren't possible in DX9, it just means they didn't try and do them in DX9 and instead used DX10 because it was easier/they wanted to say "ooh DX10"/they got paid money by MS etc (that last one is pure nonsensical speculation but you get the point).

Sureshot324

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
Originally posted by: Lonyo
nonsense

He is not suggesting there are no differences, he is suggesting that the developers could have made what you see in DX10 mode possible in DX9 mode, if they had so coded it, but instead they only made it possible in DX10 mode.
Whether or not he is right in his assumption is another matter, but the developers also imply that they can make it pretty decent only using DX9 and that a DX10 mode isn't *required* to make it look good.

Just because the DX10 mode in CoJ adds stuff that's not in the DX9 mode doesn't mean those additions aren't possible in DX9, it just means they didn't try and do them in DX9 and instead used DX10 because it was easier/they wanted to say "ooh DX10"/they got paid money by MS etc (that last one is pure nonsensical speculation but you get the point).

This.

DX10 is just full of fail. 64 bit games have proven to be pretty useless as well, at least unless the game needs more than 2gb of ram (64 bit versions of HL2 and Crysis don't run any faster then 32 bit versions).

Developers should ignore the gamers who cry about games not supporting every checkpoint feature on their computer and just make good efficient engines.

kaiser02

Banned
Aug 9, 2009
Also the performance of these techniques seems to be too poor on the current generation hardware.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Man, kinda an old thread but, apoppin got owned.

Oh, and I think CoJ:BiB looks better than CoJ DX10.

Plus DX10 runs like crap (HD3870).