Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (no spoilers please)

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Being a very picky gamer, I play a select few games and rarely find one of interest. Mired in Day of Defeat Source, Counter Strike Source(not so much), Half Life 2 or you might as well say Source games in general for the better part of two years. I never buy any $50 games ever. I feel they are most often a waste of money. Waited till Call of Duty 2 dropped to $20 before I bought it and I have basically tossed it on the floor as it seemed to not have any depth. The source package I bought was $60 but came with IDK 6 games? I have gotten every penny of that back in the enjoyment of them.

Enter Call of Duty 4:

Last month I tried the demo and was unimpressed. Seemed like the same old Call of Duty 2 with a little more flash. Fully intending to wait till it dropped in price, the scavenger in me always waits till $20 or below for any game.

A few weeks pass and friends of mine keep raving and telling me how great it was. I couldn't stand it anymore, I had to buy the game to see how much I was really missing, even if it meant me "losing" $50.

I purchased it through steam and took a nap. Those who buy through steam know what I am talking about. Wake up and download complete. Yay money into the hard drive.

Single Player:

From the moment it starts it is riveting, unlike any game I have played. The depth of the game really draws you in. Captivated by things around you. It's almost like one of those movies that you can't even go to the bathroom because your afraid your gonna miss something. Throughout the game theres intense moments that have yet to be paralleled in any game IMO.

Multiplayer:

I think Infinity Ward sat down and said "What are the three best Multiplayer FPS games ever made? Call of Duty 2, Battlefield 2 and Counter Strike Source."

IMO they have taken those three, mixed them up and came out with a monster FPS game that is sure to last the test of time. They took what worked with Call of Duty 2, mostly gameplay. Battlefield 2, the ranking system (didn't like the game myself, just noticed the ranking system) and finally Counter Strike Source with some of the gameplay and sounds along with the competitive style play that is identical. This is where COD4 really shines. Multiplayer also has depth, not just with a ranking system, but also with a myriad of weapons that are earned while ranking up. There are also individual objectives that you complete for extra points or bragging rights :p

Now that I have found the successor to my beloved Day of Defeat Source, I will be quitting CAL in favor of CEVO & TGL for COD4. Anyone else play in leagues?

Infinity Ward, you have made the best FPS multiplayer game ever!

Let's see what everyones rank and stats are, post them here:

Lv: 55

XP: 125,490

Score: 48,195

Kills: 4,528

Headshots: 406

Assists: 1,486

Streak: 17

Deaths: 4,424

Time Played: 1d 22h 31m

:D

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
MP is good, but SoF2 MP is still better.

SP isn't as good as previous CoD games, imo.

i'm level 49, whatever rank that is.

i also laugh at BF2 being one of the best 3 FPS games ever made. I'm not so sure about the others either.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
My biggest gripe with MP is the ability to spam air strikes and helis non-stop. IMHO kills you get with either shouldn't count towards your next strike.

NaOH

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2006
Is it as solid as CS and CS:S? I kind of hated how clunky BF2 and BF2142 felt when i played them. Like when you shot at them you knew whether you hit them or not, not just spray and spray deal.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: NaOH
Is it as solid as CS and CS:S? I kind of hated how clunky BF2 and BF2142 felt when i played them. Like when you shot at them you knew whether you hit them or not, not just spray and spray deal.

I think its more solidly made, gameplay and visual wise.

syzygy

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2001
I liked my character's response/mobility/movement-design better in FEAR.

COD4's player movement is far stiffer.
- You don't swing around as easily.
- You can't cycle through your weapons with the mouse wheel.
- You can't holster your weapon and run - you need to assign a separate button
to sprint and keep your weapon unholstered. This sucks because sprinting is
essential. You can't just traipse around enjoying the sun and sights.

There are far too many buttons and options for activities that should be natural (de
fault) to the character. The perks suck. A number of them should be universal,
comon to all players.

And I absolutely detest the unsteady sniper aim. You have to hold an extra button
down just to keep your sight still. Which blows major chunks.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
I'd have to agree with SoF2 MP being a bit better than CoD4, although I think CoD4 is an improvement over CS:S and leaps and bounds better than any BF title.

Character control and combat feedback in SoF2 were just incredible. You could pull off amazing feats without getting into the realm of ridiculous wall jumps and rocket packs seen in other games. CoD4 character control is pretty close but the feedback isn't as good, although there is some visual feedback you're hitting someone and not air.

CoD4 has some aspects like ironsights/crosshairs and prone that I disliked (mainly because they slowed combat down, encouraged camping/squatting) in previous games like BF/AA, but the transitions are faster and improved character control/responsiveness help mitigate them.

Another thing I don't like too much about CoH4 is that the maps are mostly 2D, with very, very limited combat within buildings/structures. Even then, the combat is mostly 2D (or maybe on a single plane is a better is a term for it?). Compare that to SoF2 and there was a lot more variation in terms of landscape/indoor fighting.

Biggest thing missing from any FPS today = chimes/audible feedback when you get a kill!!! Should be a mod for every game for this, would make them all much more fun. :) I think the only two I can remember that had a chime on kill is SoF2 and GoldenEye for N64.

Oh and Rank 55 Commander here mostly playing HQ, not sure on other stats off-hand but I'm usually near the top in both points and kills at the end of the round. ;)

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Put the COD4 graphics/engine into BF2 maps and game mode, you have a great multi-player game. Played CAL/TWL for BF2 but don't think I'm going to for COD4.

I can't get into COD4 multiplayer due to maps and game modes. Little team work (unless you're in a clan) and it's just a clusterfuck half the time. And only after two weeks, a number of my friends were already 5 star generals, that's lame.

Still prefer BF2 for a multiplayer experience.

melijak

Aug 5, 2004
This is the only game that got me back to multiplayer since R6 Raven shield....which was long, long time ago..

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
The MP is CoD4 is as fun as CCS and BF2 for me. CSS and BF2 are the primary titles I play for MP.

All three games have strong points and week points. I liken CoD4 MP more to Quake DM than anything else because that's what it is. Most of the servers I have been on are so fast paced and chaotic it's just a big DM - only a few people try for objectives, most people just barely get a few shots off before they are fragged.

I spend more time waiting to spawn in CoD4 than actually playing the game. Some servers have instant spawn and no kill cam, which I like.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: syzygy

There are far too many buttons and options for activities that should be natural (de
comon to all players.

And I absolutely detest the unsteady sniper aim. You have to hold an extra button

1. Raise your sensitvity.
2. You only have two weapons, so all you need is a toggle anyway.
3. How is pressing a button to sprint any different than pressing a button to holster?

And if everyone had them, they wouldnt be perks...

I'm not sure what other functions there are in COD4 that are any different from those in fear?

The unsteady and inaccurate snipers are just an artifact of the console version. Sniper rifles are useless in the PC version - just dont use them, period.

darom

Dec 3, 2002
- I wouldn't miss the perks. The martyrdom perk (nade drops after you die) is the most frustrating one. Initially it was fun, but when a bunch of people die around you, you get the drift. Then it is over and over again. That sound of a dropped grenade is still ringing in my ears;
- The same applies to the "3 Frag Grenades" perk - playing on 20 vs 20 player maps with a shower of grenades hitting you is something unforgettable. I wish they would have given me a jet pack perk so that I could shoot myself as a rocket into the space for a few seconds to avoid them. The game should actually give you points for physically hitting a player with a grenade in the face;
- Bonny-hopping ala COD4 style: up and down. It works quite efficiently. I salute the server admins who kick these players;
- Sprinting gives such a limited point of view. It is almost like running blind. I feel like a freight train on rails.

I do agree with the previous poster on the subject of button assignments. I have a 5-button mouse, and I couldn't assign a button for a special grenade. I will start looking for a 10-button mouse, 2 buttons for each of my fingers. :)

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: darom
- I wouldn't miss the perks. The martyrdom perk (nade drops after you die) is the most frustrating one. Initially it was fun, but when a bunch of people die around you, you get the drift. Then it is over and over again. That sound of a dropped grenade is still ringing in my ears;
- The same applies to the "3 Frag Grenades" perk - playing on 20 vs 20 player maps with a shower of grenades hitting you is something unforgettable. I wish they would have given me a jet pack perk so that I could shoot myself as a rocket into the space for a few seconds to avoid them. The game should actually give you points for physically hitting a player with a grenade in the face;
- Bonny-hopping ala COD4 style: up and down. It works quite efficiently. I salute the server admins who kick these players;
- Sprinting gives such a limited point of view. It is almost like running blind. I feel like a freight train on rails.

I do agree with the previous poster on the subject of button assignments. I have a 5-button mouse, and I couldn't assign a button for a special grenade. I will start looking for a 10-button mouse, 2 buttons for each of my fingers. :)

you can hit people with grenades. there are even challenges for it.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
I love the sniper rifle. Lot more realistic and balanced for MP IMO.

darom

Dec 3, 2002
Originally posted by: Regs
I love the sniper rifle. Lot more realistic and balanced for MP IMO.

If it was realistic, a .50 cal sniper rifle should rip apart an opponent or make a water melon size hole in him. In this game you need to place 2 shots to kill someone, unless, of course, you managed a head shot.

Aug 15, 2007
Absolutely fantastic MP game, but it does need some tweaking

- Martyrdom is idiotic. Just wrecks the game, particularly on enclosed maps where you often can't get away. They should make it so that you have to have a grenade in your inventory when you die for it to work

- The grenade launcher attachment for the assault rifles is an idiotic one-shot-kill at almost any range. It needs an accuracy nerf or a splash damage one. Or friendly fire. Shooting somebody one foot away from me in the face with a grenade launcher should not involve instant death for them and no damage for me

- Some of the guns are horrendously overpowered. It's basically impossible to lose a short range fight with the P90. You just spray and pray and it works just fine

- The sniper rifles are idiotic. It's apparently being fixed in patch 1.3 though. Right now its pretty frustrating repeatedly lining up perfect head shots down your scope then watching the bullet fail to go where your crosshairs are. That frustration is then doubled when they guy you tried to snipe spins round with his carbine and picks you off accross the entire map

- You really really should be able to go down in rank as well as up. All rank does right now is show how long you've played for. No incentive to keep going.

- The crate map is an idiotic grenade fest, and as such, can kiss my ass

I don't recall my exact stats, but I'm a level 49 right now with a longest streak of 27.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Energizer Bunny
Absolutely fantastic MP game, but it does need some tweaking

- Martyrdom is idiotic. Just wrecks the game, particularly on enclosed maps where you often can't get away. They should make it so that you have to have a grenade in your inventory when you die for it to work

- The grenade launcher attachment for the assault rifles is an idiotic one-shot-kill at almost any range. It needs an accuracy nerf or a splash damage one. Or friendly fire. Shooting somebody one foot away from me in the face with a grenade launcher should not involve instant death for them and no damage for me

- Some of the guns are horrendously overpowered. It's basically impossible to lose a short range fight with the P90. You just spray and pray and it works just fine

- The sniper rifles are idiotic. It's apparently being fixed in patch 1.3 though. Right now its pretty frustrating repeatedly lining up perfect head shots down your scope then watching the bullet fail to go where your crosshairs are. That frustration is then doubled when they guy you tried to snipe spins round with his carbine and picks you off accross the entire map

- You really really should be able to go down in rank as well as up. All rank does right now is show how long you've played for. No incentive to keep going.

- The crate map is an idiotic grenade fest, and as such, can kiss my ass

I don't recall my exact stats, but I'm a level 49 right now with a longest streak of 27.

The grenade needs to travel a certain distance to arm itself, so actually that is exactly what would happen. in real life. There is even a different icon for these types of kills, the guy you shot dies from the force of the unexploded projectile.

But it is a noob weapon, no doubt about it.

badnewcastle

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2004
Originally posted by: NaOH

I've only played it a minimal amount of time, but it seemed more arcady then CS:S...

Capitalizt

Banned
Nov 28, 2004

comon to all players.

Thank you for telling me all this. I think I'd really hate the game knowing those things..especially not being able to run easily or cycle weapons with the mouse wheel (WTF?, every game should have that these days). You saved me $50

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Capitalizt

comon to all players.

Thank you for telling me all this. I think I'd really hate the game knowing those things..especially not being able to run easily or cycle weapons with the mouse wheel (WTF?, every game should have that these days). You saved me $50

wow, if those things make you not want to buy a great game, i feel bad for you.

as said, you only have 2 weapons to cycle through. remap the keys to your mouse wheel if you need it that bad. i have no problems switching weapons with the number keys.

darom

Dec 3, 2002

You can find this game for $40, the SP is well worth it IMHO. There are a few missions that will take you away (sniper in Belarus, gunship).

Hopefully, the MP will be fixed. It is still a lot of fun. I stopped playing CS:S (got sick of one shot kills from awps there, where a guy picks you up in a matter of milliseconds, he shoots, BANG! headshot, then he bonny hops away). The hold breath feature is good, it makes it harder to use the rifle especially when you are trying to shoot a moving target. But if I've earned my .50 cal rifle, I want more firepower!!! :)

One more annoying thing that will hopefully get tweaked by developers:
- light machine guns with no recoil. You can use them as a long distance sniper rifles. Too bad you can't deploy them like in good old days of DoD.