Call from Clay County GOP: Obama is a Muslim who'll take away Medicare

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
So if you let me, a stranger, borrow your phone for a few minutes and unbeknownst to you I make a drug deal while on your phone you are at least partially responsible for the crime?

Hate to say it, yes.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
So if you let me, a stranger, borrow your phone for a few minutes and unbeknownst to you I make a drug deal while on your phone you are at least partially responsible for the crime?

Your scenario doesn't equate;
First off the woman using the phone wasn't an unknown simply borrowing the phone to make a random phone call. She had been given the phone expressly to make campaign calls.
Secondly she wasn't using the phone in committing a crime.

To answer your question though, yes, I would be partially responsible. You would be almost certain the police would be looking for me, the owner of the phone, if they were investigating the matter.

Last edited:

cirrrocco

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2004
This is why employer's have employee handbooks and codes of conduct. This immunizes them from any legal recourse in the event an employee is engaging in questionable behavior.

If you broke a rule in the handbook or within the code of conduct, the legal responsibility stops at you.

^ is this guy for real.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Call from Clay County GOP: Obama is a Muslim who'll take away Medicare

I heard he's a space alien...

Yeah - I suppose there comes a time when I need to say how deplorable it is for folks to make those statements. What can I say, Reps are just as stupid as the Dems for stereotyping their enemy.

It's a common play, and this is a ball game, and you know your team. Go on, grab a beer and cheer a little. You know they did.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I think we've already established that Romney will say anything to get elected, so it's no surprise that his supporters will go even further in that direction, particularly given the ability to establish semi-plausible deniability.

The whole thing is particularly effective and deplorable when preying on the fears & apprehensions of low information seniors using pitches like "Muslim!" "Soshulist!" "Death Panels!" and "Ending Medicare!".

Not to mention that Romney's running mate is the party pushing to voucherize Medicare, then adjust for inflation rather than actual cost increases, while the ACA, Obamacare, closes the donut hole in drug coverage, an enormous boon to many seniors, while strengthening the tax base that supports the whole program.

It's also obvious that none of the handwavers & apologists in this thread have ever worked a phone room, either. You can hear your coworkers making their pitch, and adjust your own if theirs seems to work better. The boss can listen in any time he wants, too, and will critique your performance whether you want him to or not. All he really cares about is results, regardless of how they're obtained. If lying, cheating, stealing, slandering and so forth get results, he's all for it. In the unlikely scenario where you're busted for it, he'll just say you're off script...