Call blocking on iPhone 4

Discussion in 'All Things Apple' started by TheNiceGuy, Dec 6, 2012.

1. TheNiceGuy

TheNiceGuy Golden Member

Hello all
    I have an iPhone 4, jailbroken useing an older iOS. I want to block some phone calls and text messages.
    Last year I used an app on my 3GS that worked well.
    Are there current options for iPhone 4 or the new iOS?

Thank you

2. TheStu

TheStu Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets

What app did you use last year, why doesn't it work now?

3. TheNiceGuy

TheNiceGuy Golden Member

I I believe it was iblacklist. But I'm not sure. I used it last year on trial basis for a couple of weeks I think, and it worked well. However I didn't buy it, and I have a new phone now. Additionally, if I recall correctly, it didn't actually block phone calls, it used a kind of workaround, you needed to jailbreak your iPhone, and it was relatively expensive.
    I thought you folks would be up to date on whether something as fundamental as blocking abusive calls has been implemented into the iPhone, or if there is some reason Apple is intentionally making it difficult to do so.
    Thank you for your help.

#3 TheNiceGuy, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  4. TheNiceGuy

TheNiceGuy Golden Member

Additionally, I'm running firmware 5.1.1. I would consider upgrading to iOS six if they have addressed this primitive issue of managing calls. However, if I understand correctly, here in Japan iOS six destroyed the native GPS and mapping functions of the iPhone, relying on the possible creation of third-party mapping apps the quality and cost which I'm unaware.

5. TheNiceGuy

TheNiceGuy Golden Member

No one knows?
    I have an additional question. The top button has just ceased to work. The iPhone is 4 months old, and under warranty. Does jailbreak void the warranty?

6. TheStu

TheStu Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets

No, you can always restore to stock, and if the problem persists, take the phone to the Apple Store for a replacement.

7. TheNiceGuy

TheNiceGuy Golden Member

Must I restore before going to the apple store? I'd rather keep it as is and just fix the button.

8. gevorg

gevorg Diamond Member

yes, you need iblacklist, search for it in Cydia

9. ViRGE

ViRGE Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus

Jailbreaking technically voids the warranty. So if you take it to Apple as-is, then they'll give you back your phone and tell you they can't help you. Hence the restore.

As for your call blocking dilemma, gevorg is correct. You need to jailbreak the phone and install iBlacklist. There is no other way.

10. TheNiceGuy

TheNiceGuy Golden Member

Thank you. I've been useing I blacklist and it's working well enough so far.
    I'll have to install the latest iOS and wipe the phone memory then to get the button fixed at the apple store.
    Is there a jailbreak for the newest iOS? If not, is it possible to go back to my current setup somehow?

11. ViRGE

ViRGE Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus

No. And it's only possible to downgrade if they give you back your current phone. If they swap phones you'd be stuck on iOS 6 sans-jailbreak.

12. Tyranicus

Tyranicus Senior member

The iPhone 4 has a jailbreak for iOS 6, actually. It's a tethered jailbreak though. You need your phone connected to a computer to boot it.