Califronia sues top 6 automakers in US as nuisances

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Harvey
If the car companies insist on promoting the big gas guzzlers, there's not a lot an individual consumer can do, other than try to make better informed choices, despite the sales hype we're force fed through the media.

because it is SOOO hard to find small cars with decent mileage. i mean, damn, i can't remember the last time i saw a cobalt, focus, civic, or corrola.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Todd33
I think the point is to raise awareness of the problem, not to win. Thanks for the help boys.

Um, then you didn't hear the State Attorney General for California speak on CNBC a couple days ago. They have all the intention of spending millions of dollars to try an win.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Harvey
Originally posted by: piasabird
I do think we can do more to fight against pollution. However, car companies dont force anyone to buy a car.
I disagree. Transportation is an essential part of contemporary society. We can't get to work, to school, home, or anywhere else without it. The mode of transport is another issue, but in California, we're stuck with a layout that that's centered on cars so, until that changes, we're stuck with doing the best we can with them.

If the car companies insist on promoting the big gas guzzlers, there's not a lot an individual consumer can do, other than try to make better informed choices, despite the sales hype we're force fed through the media.

The only times the auto industry has done ANYTHING to address societal problems their products cause is when they're forced to do so by legislation or litigation. Examples are legislated requirements for better milage, unleaded gas, seat belts, air bags and more.

Every time these bills came up, the auto companies sued and stalled and attempted to sway legislators through all possible means to forestall the inevitable. And it is inevitable. If we don't take care of the pollution caused by our means of transport, they can make all the SUV's they want, but they won't sell very many of them to a dying population that pollutes itself out of existence.

Is the fact that you can't get to work, school or home or anything else the car company's fault?

The auto industry, actually no industry, has a duty to address societal problems. That is the goverment's and electorate's duty. The only duty a Corporation has is to make money for their shareholders. Period.

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
Originally posted by: dannybek
Originally posted by: BrownTown
I think its funny that everyone thinks the deep south is so regressive and stuff, yet of the 20 new nuclear plants proposed all of them are east of the mississippi and south of the Mason-Dixon line. Whats funniest tis that these countires already have the cheapest power, and its precisely becasue people actually DONT complain everytime they try to build a new power plant or heavy industry, they welcome them becasue it mean more money and more jobs coming into the local economies. Now i guess the California people think they are too good for this type of stuff, but that justg measn they have to pay people in other places to do it for them, and then pay even more to have it shipped over.

Case in point is the 10 coal plants being proposed up in the northwest regions which will send all their power into southern california, putting the plants up there is nto very efficicent, but since they cant build them in California they have to build them somewhere else, and people in California buy the power at twice what it costs everywhere else. Adn the funniest part of it all is that this means even MORE CO2 is produced since more power is being post over the long power lines. California is all "hear no evil speak no evil see no evil", they think that if they jsut export all their problems they will magically go away.

You said "proposed" therefore your entire last paragraph is speculative. I would like some sources please.

The paragraph is not speculative becasue California already imports 20% of its electricity from out of state coal plants.

EIDT: heres an article, there are 100 others Link
Note the 21% of California's power comming from out of state coal, and the 30 new power plants which are being proposed to sell power to California.

EDIT2: and heres the big pdf file that descirbes it all in excruciating detail:Link