California's big deficit, Time for Triage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
Why does California offer so much state aid for the retarded,autistic,poor,handicapped,welfare moms, other non productive people etc..

Why would a state want to attract non productive citizens, It would be smarter if they commit budgetary triage and cut all those state funded program for non productive citizens. What would happen is they would move out and go to a state that offers more programs for them.

Bottom line, why is California spending so much to attract or maintain a population of non productive citizens?

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
If you say "non productive" one more time, the universe is going to implode.

Its called being a liberal state.

The lazies need help, so lets take care of them. The problem is, the lazy do not want to work, but they do want to have sex. Before long the lazies are outbreeding the working people.

alent1234

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2002
california is the most democratic state in the US because they allow anyone to put some mandate to spend money on the ballot. something like 80% of the california budget is spent without any debate due to the crazy laws there and how anyone can vote a law in

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
I do not think that non-productive people head to California to be non-productive.

Once there someone that falls into the no-productive situation has no real incentive to leave and potentially grow out of the handouts.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
I do not think that non-productive people head to California to be non-productive.

Once there someone that falls into the no-productive situation has no real incentive to leave and potentially grow out of the handouts.

My wifes half-sister is what you might call a welfare bum. I do not think she has ever worked a day in her life. She is 50 something years old and has drawn some kind of welfare her entire adult life.

Back in the mid-1980s my wifes half-sister came to Texas and signed up on welfare. When she saw how little money she was going to be getting, she said something along the lines of "I can not live off of this".

Within a couple of weeks of finding how much welfare she was going to be getting in Texas, she went back to california.

She is the type of person that sits around and "expects" the government to take care of her.

Screech

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2004
that alone isn't the problem, though.

http://www.ebudget.ca.gov/pdf/BudgetSummary/SummaryCharts.pdf

There's a number of idiotic things that should stand out. For example, spending more money on prisons than college education....gotta love it.

California's government was set up to run on a 1st world tax base; what happens to that when you have 1st world expenditures and a population that is growing to have more 3rd world qualities? (If a bunch of poor people jump the fence, they don't suddenly become rich individuals who pay lots of taxes to send their kids to school.)

You'll note though that health/human services and k-12 education are the biggest chunks of the budget, so if there are going to be cuts those are the places to cut.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
California's government was set up to run on a 1st world tax base; what happens to that when you have 1st world expenditures and a population that is growing to have more 3rd world qualities? (If a bunch of poor people jump the fence, they don't suddenly become rich individuals who pay lots of taxes to send their kids to school.)

Its not politically correct to secure borders and stop illegal immigration.

Who are we to deny those people a better life, even if it cost us more money.

Screech

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2004

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
The time for triage has come and gone a long time ago. Its time for slash and burn. California is doomed because they refuse to acknowledge the problem with any seriousness. It seems to just be political ammunition every few years and nothing more. No way for them to solved these issues until they get serious and elect qualified people into office (read governor).

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Right, obviously, actually dealing with the problem is a lot harder than pointing it out.

Illegal immigration is like a disease, prevention is easier then a cure. Once the disease gets a foothold, it becomes difficult to deal with.

I think the same can be said with overspending, and social programs.

Once a program has been setup, the people do not want that program to go away.

Its not just california; nationwide we are fostering a generation of lazy people. My opinion, if the U.S. does not change its ways, california is what the rest of the nation will look like in a few years.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
The nation will bail them out with a promise from them to mend their evil, spendthrift ways. They will not because they can't. They'll never see the failure in the core principles they've adopted and base their decisions on. They serve as a bad example for the rest of the nation should anyone actually choose to pay attention.

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
Right, obviously, actually dealing with the problem is a lot harder than pointing it out. But let's say that california taxpayers were not footing the bill for this; the state budget would become a little more managable:

http://www.nctimes.com/news/article_5cedf831-9d5d-5335-af7e-2af6730a577c.html

Illegals cost the state 9BN . . . an estimated 7.7BN is due to education. TBH I'd rather have educated poor people who have a chance to better themselves than sap the system. And actually the immigrants have less of an entitlement outlook than many americans. The more tax payers we have the more revenue. The more jobs we have, the more tax payers.

Like many, I may soon be leaving california because of their policies and depriving them of my income.

Status
Not open for further replies.