Californians How Do You Plan To Vote On the Propositions.

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
What's wrong with prop 31?

Transparency = good
Offsets for tax increases or revenue decreases sounds good too.
Publication of proposed laws at least three days before vote also sounds good.
Allows local governments to implement a law in their own way as long as it gets the same results: sounds good and bad. Good because it gives more powe to local government in how they use their resources, it could be bad because it creates various versions of the same law that could be different from county to county.
Requires review of state programs and setting performance goals: sounds good to me although I know it would cause an increase in administrative costs but if we have smarter programs wouldn't that be offset?
I also like the part where they set aside time to actually review all the programs. To me that would create a lot of debate and bring out better public knowledge.

I see some higher administrative costs but overall a lot more transparency and accountability.

What am I missing?

According the the proposition info there are no additional costs associated or which would be incurred with the implementation of this proposition if it passed. The only reason why some people would be against it is because they don't want the public to see how their money is being spent because then they could face the wrath of the voters.

Feb 19, 2001
very simple. It takes so long because the state putting someone to death is a very serious issue. With the long, long history of fraudulent criminal trials, the absolute assurance of guilt is a must.

again, I don't know anyone that disagrees with this. It really doesn't matter why it is so expensive--the easiest solution is the only solution.

End it, because it is, quite simply, morally reprehensible.

the cost issue is only used to appeal to immoral justice hawks. When that doesn't work, it isn't really worth trying to convince someone otherwise, imo. :\

DO I believe that some people commit such horrible acts that they forfeit their life value? Yeah...but I don't believe it is the state's right to kill them.
I don't doubt that absolute assurance is necessary. But we waste a lot of time with random legal appeals here and there. I think we can expedite judicial processes without compromising accuracy.

Why is it morally reprehensible? Why is life in prison ok to you?

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
Measure B looks like its failing. Cant say much though. I didnt even know it was on the ballot until yesterday.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I don't doubt that absolute assurance is necessary. But we waste a lot of time with random legal appeals here and there. I think we can expedite judicial processes without compromising accuracy.

Why is it morally reprehensible? Why is life in prison ok to you?

from what I ahve read--no, none of us have been on death row, much less prison, as far as I assume--being on death row tends to be much worse on these inmates than those in regular rotation.

so yeah...it isn't to me that life is somehow a better punishment. Death Row is, something that no human really wants to face--the knowledge that they have been condemned to execution--for whatever reason, if they deserve it.

to me, it is morally reprehensible. we simply have no right, as representatives of a state, to condemn a human to this punishment. This isn't that I don't sympathize with the families and loved ones of those who suffer from such people....it's just that I don't think their need for revenge gives them justice, or any real closure.

I've dealt with unexpected death in my family--not in the same way, but I have anger over these things that I understand to be irrational. No matter what happens after the fact, there is nothing that cures that pain.

so, basically...those that seek revenge, will win no sympathy from me. so...fuck them all, and may they all wallow in the lack of closure that all of them receive after their hated criminals are murdered by the state (yeah, no one is ever made happier because of this. stop deluding yourselves).

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
we simply have no right, as representatives of a state, to condemn a human to this punishment.

Why not? Human societies have used death as a punishment for serious crimes for thousands of years? What's fundamentally different between death and locking someone up in a Supermax style prison for the remainder of their natural life?

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
BOHICA baby.

Californians are really fucked now - Democrat super majority in the Senate and House. Expect more Income tax increase and further sales tax increases to fund our ever expanding budget.

Pneumothorax

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2002
BOHICA baby.

Californians are really fucked now - Democrat super majority in the Senate and House. Expect more Income tax increase and further sales tax increases to fund our ever expanding budget.

Don't worry, the Dims will still find a way to blame Bush and the Republicans.

Yreka

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
Honestly surprised at the results of quite a few... I can understand, yet not agree with yes to 30 and no to 32.. Sex trafficking however wins by a landslide ? Did anyone actually read that thing? Also surprised by such a large margin on 37.. Ah well, such is life in the Golden State..