California wild fire disaster of 2007: FEMA man that faked news conference loses cushy spy job

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
1500 homes gone now and a $Billion+ in damages. Just wait and watch how the Insurance Companies screw their policy holders.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: WHAMPOM
1500 homes gone now and a $Billion+ in damages.

Just wait and watch how the Insurance Companies screw their policy holders.

Well help is arriving today:

10-25-2007 Bush leaves for California to see fires

President Bush, as he left Thursday to get a close-up view of the devastation caused by wildfires in Southern California, thanked firefighters, expressed sympathy for those who lost their homes and businesses and promised federal assistance.

"It's a sad situation out there in Southern California," he said. "I fully understand that the people have got a lot of anguish in their hearts, and they just need to know a lot of folks care about them."

"I will assure the people of California that the federal government will be deploying resources, assets and manpower necessary to help fight these fires," Bush said.

"As well, I will assure them that because of the declaration I signed yesterday, there will be help for the people of California."
================================
The article speaks for itself.

No comments from me on this because it is considered trolling by Mods.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
People do not like the sound of a control burn and will try to prevent it for some of the following reasons.

1) The fact that a fire is being deliberately set.

2) The smoke and ash may blow into their property and inconvience them

3) Some worry about how it may affect wildlife.

4) The asthetic appeal of looking at a blacked patch of land for up to 6 months.

Now if people who live in such areaas would actually clear brush and dead debris from their house back by at least 50 feet to 50 yds, they would have a natural firebreak.

And if controlled burns were done in canyons/brush areas where no one has built, but are nearby to homes, that would also act as a natural fire break/reduction.

Animals will move out of the way of controlled burns as long as it is not in the early spring when the young are unable to move.

The controlled burns will also allow new growth of the grass and also allow the conifer trees to produce seeds for new growth.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
More sad state of affairs with U.S. Government in general:

10-25-2007 As wildfires were charging across Southern California, nearly two dozen water-dropping helicopters and two massive cargo planes sat idly by, grounded by government rules and bureaucracy.

How much the aircraft would have helped will never be known, but their inability to provide quick assistance raises troubling questions about California's preparations for a fire season that was widely expected to be among the worst on record.

It took as long as a day for Navy, Marine and California National Guard helicopters to get clearance early this week, in part because state rules require all firefighting choppers to be accompanied by state forestry "fire spotters" who coordinate water or retardant drops. By the time those spotters arrived, the powerful Santa Ana winds stoking the fires had made it too dangerous to fly.

The National Guard's C-130 cargo planes, among the most powerful aerial firefighting weapons, never were slated to help. The reason: They've yet to be outfitted with tanks needed to carry thousands of gallons of fire retardant, though that was promised four years ago.

"The weight of bureaucracy kept these planes from flying, not the heavy winds," Republican U.S. Rep. Dana Rohrabacher told The Associated Press. "When you look at what's happened, it's disgusting, inexcusable foot-dragging that's put tens of thousands of people in danger."

Rohrabacher and other members of California's congressional delegation are demanding answers about aircraft deployment. And some fire chiefs have grumbled that a quick deployment of aircraft could have helped corral many of the wildfires that quickly flared out of control and have so far burned 500,000 acres from Malibu to the Mexican border.

Thomas Eversole, executive director of the American Helicopter Services & Aerial Firefighting Association, a Virginia-based nonprofit that serves as a liaison between helicopter contractors and federal agencies, said valuable time was lost.

"The basis for the initial attack helicopters is to get there when the fire is still small enough that you can contain it," Eversole said. "If you don't get there in time, you quickly run the risk of these fires getting out of control."

The first of the 15 or so fires started around midnight Saturday. By Sunday afternoon, fires were raging in Los Angeles, San Diego and Orange counties.

At the request of firefighters on the ground, at 4 p.m. Sunday the state Office of Emergency Services asked the National Guard to supply four helicopters. Under state rules, a California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection "spotter" must accompany each military and National Guard helicopter to coordinate water drops.

The spotters have 24 hours to report for duty, and it took nearly all that time for them and the National Guard crews to assemble. By the time they were ready to go, the winds had made it unsafe to fly.

The helicopters finally got off the ground Tuesday.

Mike Padilla, aviation chief for the forestry department, acknowledged the Guard's helicopters were ready to fly before the spotters arrived. He said state officials were surprised.

"Typically we're waiting for them to get crews," Padilla said.

The delay was even longer for Navy and Marine helicopters. They were ready to fly Monday morning but didn't get airborne until Wednesday morning, a period when the acreage that burned quadrupled to more than 250,000 and the number of homes destroyed jumped from 34 to more than 700.

The C-130 saga is a much different story.

More than a decade ago, Congress ordered replacement of the aging removable tanks for the military planes because of safety concerns and worries that they wouldn't fit with new-model aircraft. California's firefighting C-130 unit is one of four the Pentagon has positioned across the country to respond to fire disasters.

New tanks were designed, but they failed to fit into the latest C-130s. Designers were ordered back to the drawing board. Republican Rep. Elton Gallegy said Congress was assured the new tanks would be ready by 2003.

Four years later, the U.S. Forest Service and Air Force have yet to approve the revised design.

Rohrabacher and Gallegy are angered by the delay, which has left no C-130s capable of fighting fires on the West Coast. The last of the older-model C-130s with an original tank was retired by the California National Guard last year.

"It's an absolute tragedy, an unacceptable tragedy," Gallegy said.

The situation meant that rather than deploying C-130s from inside the state, Schwarzenegger was forced to ask Secretary of Defense Robert Gates to call in the six remaining older C-130s from other states as far away as North Carolina.

None of them began fighting the fires until Wednesday afternoon.

In the meantime, the state relied mostly on smaller retardant tankers that carry about a third of the C-130's 3,000-gallon capacity.

Gallegy said such firepower was sorely needed earlier.

"I have actually flown in one and pressed the button," he said. "I know what they can do."
====================================================
Sad

:(

rose.gif
to those that lost their lives because of the failures of our Government.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: EagleKeeper
People do not like the sound of a control burn and will try to prevent it for some of the following reasons.

1) The fact that a fire is being deliberately set.

2) The smoke and ash may blow into their property and inconvience them

3) Some worry about how it may affect wildlife.

4) The asthetic appeal of looking at a blacked patch of land for up to 6 months.

Now if people who live in such areaas would actually clear brush and dead debris from their house back by at least 50 feet to 50 yds, they would have a natural firebreak.

And if controlled burns were done in canyons/brush areas where no one has built, but are nearby to homes, that would also act as a natural fire break/reduction.

Animals will move out of the way of controlled burns as long as it is not in the early spring when the young are unable to move.

The controlled burns will also allow new growth of the grass and also allow the conifer trees to produce seeds for new growth.

Some old growth southern forests - longleaf pines - require fire under natural conditions to seed. The fire also burns out 'hardwood' undergrowth which over time would dominate the forest . . .

randym431

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2003
You know, this is a lot of hype from the media on this story. Yes the fires are awful and the damage, but this is "typical". It happens almost every year, or other year. I remember in 1983 when I drove up from san diego to LA for business, the hills on both sides of the freeway were a blaze. It was like driving thru a movie set.

The problem has always been out there is that people build where they should not, like on cliffs, then wonder why their homes fall in the ocean. Southern CA is a desert. It gets rain in the spring, and thats it. You don?t build in places that you can not clear the brush away from your home, or the fires will eventually get you. Yes its worse this year, but in "this" case its not global warming or Bible prophecy. Its just a very bad year for fires.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: randym431
You know, this is a lot of hype from the media on this story. Yes the fires are awful and the damage, but this is "typical". It happens almost every year, or other year. I remember in 1983 when I drove up from san diego to LA for business, the hills on both sides of the freeway were a blaze. It was like driving thru a movie set.

The problem has always been out there is that people build where they should not, like on cliffs, then wonder why their homes fall in the ocean. Southern CA is a desert. It gets rain in the spring, and thats it.

You don?t build in places that you can not clear the brush away from your home, or the fires will eventually get you.

Yes its worse this year, but in "this" case its not global warming or Bible prophecy. Its just a very bad year for fires.

It's not a lot different than flooding.

There is a national pool for those that chose to live in flood prone areas they have to kick in payments established for that.

Why not Fire?

Also why is there not a Fire resistant housing code for this area?

Made of concrete block with fire resistant roofing.

Also there is a temporary gel available that fire cannot penetrate.

Just more of doing everything that can be done wrong here.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Dave your article on the helicopters and planes being grounded was just a grandstanding Congressman yapping in ignorance.

Forest Service fire aircraft rules were developed the hard way...people died...lesson learned...new rule...more people died...new lesson learned...new rule...

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Pabster
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
This seems like an annual event.

Yep. What's sad is several of the fires are apparently arson.

..illegals the news is reporting. Illegals set fires Americans won't.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: ironwing
Dave your article on the helicopters and planes being grounded was just a grandstanding Congressman yapping in ignorance.

Forest Service fire aircraft rules were developed the hard way...people died...lesson learned...new rule...more people died...new lesson learned...new rule...

I've heard this as well. I'd like to see Dave's response to this and/or the thread title changed.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Lemon law
This somewhat ties in with the 60 minutes piece last Sunday. But the thesis of 60 minutes was that this must be global warming because we are seeing he fires get bigger.
With 200,000 acre fires being a past rarity and now they are common.

While I certainly believe in global warming, I find the 60 minutes claims hard to swallow for two reasons. (1) There have been a lot of studies to the effect that the longer a fire is delayed, the more fire prone an area becomes. (2) Options with things like backfires and just bull dozing firebreaks become greatly reduced when there are houses cropping up in former wilderness areas.

The Santa Anna winds that drive the fires have been occurring with regularity stretching back many centuries and I see no real evidence they are stronger now than in the past. But a long standing policy of preventing past fires now come back to bite because there are no existing previously burned over areas to prevent the unrestricted continuation of fires. And the other variable, the oxygen content in the air remains unchanged.

And the post by ayabe may well touch on what the long term solution is in California. All else just kicks the can down the road dangerously.

True but there is more fuel now. We had a wet winter a few years ago that created a lot of growth followed by a couple years of record low rainfall which left a lot a dry brush all through the canyons. I don't know if you can pin this directly on global warming or not though.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: JD50

I've heard this as well. I'd like to see Dave's response to this and/or the thread title changed.

Sorry, no excuses allowed.

The C-130's not being ready happened on your leadership's watch.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

Is it possible for you to cut that shit out, just for one freaking thread?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

I've heard this as well.

I'd like to see Dave's response to this and/or the thread title changed.

Is it possible for you to cut that shit out, just for one freaking thread?

Is it possible for the Apologists to take responsibility for once?

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Hannity had an environmentalist on his show today, and not some nut job, but a respected and knowledgeable one. And the environmentalist refused to blame this on global warming. He said that there is just not enough evidence to make the claim that global warming has anything to do with these fires. He also pointed out that there was a fire in the 1890s that was twice as big as these recent fires.

Fires in SoCal are like Hurricanes in Florida and the South East, they are going to happen and there is nothing you can do to stop them. All you can do is be prepared for when they hit.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Here is what the firefighters have to say on the topic of aircraft on the California fires:

After spending the last week and a half at Ramona Airtanker Base during the extreme Santa Ana Wind event I learned some important lessons. The first being that firefighting under the most extreme burning conditions I have ever witnessed in So Cal. is another world. I have to admit to being more than a little shell shocked. The second lesson is one that I have relearned many times. That is that the media often abandons reporting the facts and the interest of the public good to evoke an emotional response by attacking the very people that risk their lives to fight the fire in order to develop a ?hot story?. The first few days CALFIRES air program was continuously criticized for an inadequate response. Statements were made that the military could have done a better job.

Here are some facts that I am aware of; Airtanker Pilots Mike Venable, Billy Hoskins, Bob Forbes and Lynn McGrew made a valiant attempt to stop the Witch fire under conditions that tested their aircraft and airmanship to their very limits. They decided to stop flight operations only when it became apparent that further efforts would be to no avail. In my humble opinion their actions were heroic. Shortly after that no aircraft in the inventory civil or military could have survived in the wing breaking turbulence and zero visibility that existed well into the next day.

Upon seeing our Chief getting out of the Air Attack ship trying to hold back his tears, I knew that something terrible had happened on the Harris Fire. It had. Some of our Firefighters were burned over and severely injured in addition to one civilian fatality. They happened to be Firefighters that were very close to the Ramona Air Attack Base family. The US Forest Service Firefighters that rescued them were also a part of that family.

The entire compliment of the Ramona Air Attack Base deserves our praise and the gratitude of every citizen living in San Diego County. Their performance was exemplary in every way. When they ran out of water, water tenders were ordered and ran around the clock to keep Ramona Air Attack Base operational. After fighting fire all night with her husband to save her home and her neighborhood Sheri Lee showed up for work at 6:00 AM to perform her duties at the tanker base keeping everything running smoothly as she always does.

Ramona Air Attack Base is an example of the best we have to offer starting with its leadership and ending with a team of professionals. The nerve center in the tower, the ramp managers, aircraft directors and loaders are a well oiled machine. They handled a third of our total airtanker fleet and three Air Attack ships and never missed a beat.

I didn?t work out of Hemet except to reload once but I can say with great confidence that the same level of excellence and dedication to the mission was operating there as well.

On the statue of the Iwo Jima Memorial it states that ?uncommon valor was a common virtue?. After seeing our ground Firefighters putting themselves in harms way time after time to provide for the protection and safety of others I believe that they can proudly lay claim to that sacred creed.

Jim Barnes

AB, news agencies, - My lord talk about some crazy stuff going on with those news channels. Nothing short of having one fire engine and one hand crew for every 1/10 of acre for each burnable acre would have made a difference. You could have had every C-130 in the free world loading and returning and every helicopter from our NATO allies with a bucket on them and houses would still have burned. Santa Ana winds events and wildfires create extremely serious situations. A 100 mph wind gusts will usually ruin your day (one way or the other). Wildfires and Santa Ana?s have been occurring for thousands of years and will continue for thousands of more years. The only difference is about 16 million people have decided to live in the area, with 16 news channels trying increase ratings, using 16 different reporters who think they should be Division A for the day.

Mother Nature was in charge for about 2-3 days this week. However this does not mean fire orgs are not effective in limiting these types of events and averting other mega fires throughout any given fire season. Strong fire organizations (local, state, county and Fed) are a must. 12 large fires occurred this week. Dozens if not hundreds were picked up at IA this week. This was due the hard work of many of you and the financial support we have from the American people to maintain strong fire organizations.

Letterman

In '93 we were prepositioned in Orange County because of predicted Santa Anna winds. When the Topanga Canyon fire broke in Malibu we responded with a massive number of resources. We made a brave stand and were able to stop the fire at the Pacific Ocean. (We never did get any thanks from the folks from Hawaii)

I don't know that any amount of response will stop a fire when you have drought stressed fuels, high winds, low RH and warm temps. I believe that the battle is best won prior to the ignition. Why are there still homes in the interface that lack non-flammable building materials, lack of defensible space, lousy access, etc.?

Maybe with this amount of loss the insurance companies will take a leadership role in making homeowners take responsibility for reducing the fire hazard from around their homes. I know that they are the only ones who have the leverage to make that happen.

Tim

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Hannity had an environmentalist on his show today, and not some nut job, but a respected and knowledgeable one. And the environmentalist refused to blame this on global warming. He said that there is just not enough evidence to make the claim that global warming has anything to do with these fires. He also pointed out that there was a fire in the 1890s that was twice as big as these recent fires.

Fires in SoCal are like Hurricanes in Florida and the South East, they are going to happen and there is nothing you can do to stop them. All you can do is be prepared for when they hit.

Dang Johnnie . . . . Way to be a voice of reason . . .

Who cares one way or the other at this point? We're Americans! We're 10-2! :shocked:

We should be thinking about the families and the personal devastation. The American people - not the Federal gov't - can do more for these folks than anyone. And maybe local law enforcement can catch the sum beeches that set some of the fires . . .

Most of the forestry dudes and dudettes I know (Praise be NC State! - at least until Nov 10th) have said for the long-term benefit of the forest/grasslands 'burns' can be a good thing . . . stimulates new growth and eliminates brush and undergrowth.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
I can't comment other than to say more sadness:

10-29-2007 Former FEMA spokesman loses spy job

The man who staged a fake Federal Emergency Management Agency news conference has lost a chance to be National Intelligence Director Mike McConnell's top public information officer.

John P. "Pat" Philbin, FEMA's former external affairs director, who had been scheduled to move into the new job at the director of national intelligence office on Monday, will not be getting the job. The staged question-and-answer session was harshly criticized by both the White House and Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff, whose department oversees FEMA.

"We do not normally comment on personnel matters," DNI spokesman Ross Feinstein said Monday. "However, we can confirm that Mr. Philbin is not, nor is he scheduled to be, the director of public affairs for the Office of the Director of National Intelligence."

Feinstein said earlier that Philbin's job change had been put on hold while McConnell reviewed his record.

Philbin, who previously worked for the U.S. Coast Guard and the Anteon Corp., was involved with a hastily called televised FEMA news conference last Tuesday on the California wildfires.

The session was announced on short notice and featured questions for FEMA's deputy administrator, Vice Adm. Harvey Johnson.

No genuine journalists attended, although they were given a conference call number they could use to listen in ? but not ask questions. A half-dozen questions were asked at the event ? by FEMA staff members posing as reporters.

Philbin was among the six questioners, according to The Washington Post. The questions included: "Are you happy with FEMA's response so far?"

"I think it was one of the dumbest and most inappropriate things I've seen since I've been in government," Chertoff said later.

FEMA later apologized for the phony news briefing and said it was reviewing its procedures for dealing with news organizations.
===============================================
Doing a heck of a job as usual