California wild fire disaster of 2007: FEMA man that faked news conference loses cushy spy job

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
More sad state of affairs with U.S. Government in general.

Article speaks for itself

:(

rose.gif
to those that lost their lives due to the failures of U.S. Government

I can't comment other than to say more sadness:

10-29-2007 Former FEMA spokesman loses spy job

The man who staged a fake Federal Emergency Management Agency news conference has lost a chance to be National Intelligence Director Mike McConnell's top public information officer.

John P. "Pat" Philbin, FEMA's former external affairs director, who had been scheduled to move into the new job at the director of national intelligence office on Monday, will not be getting the job. The staged question-and-answer session was harshly criticized by both the White House and Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff, whose department oversees FEMA.

"We do not normally comment on personnel matters," DNI spokesman Ross Feinstein said Monday. "However, we can confirm that Mr. Philbin is not, nor is he scheduled to be, the director of public affairs for the Office of the Director of National Intelligence."

Feinstein said earlier that Philbin's job change had been put on hold while McConnell reviewed his record.

Philbin, who previously worked for the U.S. Coast Guard and the Anteon Corp., was involved with a hastily called televised FEMA news conference last Tuesday on the California wildfires.

The session was announced on short notice and featured questions for FEMA's deputy administrator, Vice Adm. Harvey Johnson.

No genuine journalists attended, although they were given a conference call number they could use to listen in ? but not ask questions. A half-dozen questions were asked at the event ? by FEMA staff members posing as reporters.

Philbin was among the six questioners, according to The Washington Post. The questions included: "Are you happy with FEMA's response so far?"

"I think it was one of the dumbest and most inappropriate things I've seen since I've been in government," Chertoff said later.

FEMA later apologized for the phony news briefing and said it was reviewing its procedures for dealing with news organizations.

====================================================
10-25-2007 As wildfires were charging across Southern California, nearly two dozen water-dropping helicopters and two massive cargo planes sat idly by, grounded by government rules and bureaucracy.
===================================================
10-25-2007 Calif. fires may be at turning point

SAN DIEGO - A massive aerial assault and a break in harsh winds helped firefighters make their first major progress against Southern California's firestorm, raising evacuees' hopes of returning home for good. But flames were still drawing perilously toward thousands of homes.

The hot, dry Santa Ana winds that have whipped the blazes into a destructive, indiscriminate fury since the weekend were expected to all but disappear Thursday.

====================================================
A previous OP attempted to start a thread that normally frequents OT mainly and immediately joked that this is Bush's fault.

Let's keep the leadership on the oval office out of this and focus on responses by FEMA and California leadership.

The Terminator has said he will follow this through till the end.

Does he mean he will personally see that all 1,200 homes burnt so far are re-built?

This is massive destruction.

The city of SanDiego is in fact affected. Many employees that work in that city have lost their homes including employees that work for the company I am a sub-contractor for.

Here is the letter that went out from one of the company officers:

To all employees,

Due to a number of fires burning in the San Diego area, we have advised all San Diego Area employees to leave the office and go home. As a result, any meeting involving corporate staff should be been cancelled.

Many San Diego employees will be working from home if they are not in an evacuation zone, so if you need to reach someone, you can email them.

At this time, a number of employees have been evacuated who live in the affected areas. Our thoughts are with those individuals and their families.

The Corporate Office is not in any danger, and the notification for employees to go home is a precaution as the Mayor has asked all non-affected residents to stay off the highways if possible.

We will provide further updates from Corporate as necessary.

If you have any questions, please email me and I will do my best to get you information.
========================================================
10-23-2007California fires destroys over 1,200 homes

By day three, the dozen wildfires had burned more than 1,200 homes and businesses, and the destruction may only be the start for the region. With forecasts calling for hotter temperatures and fierce wind gusts, the flames were proving nearly impossible to fight.

At least 346,000 homes were evacuated in San Diego County alone, sheriff's officials said. But the total number could be much higher, and state officials were still struggling to estimate how many people had fled.

Deputies arrested two men for looting in the community of Ramona, and there were a handful of other looting cases reported, said San Diego Sheriff's Lt. Mike McClain.

San Diego County was ablaze from its rural north to its border region with Mexico, where the wildfires that started Sunday claimed their only fatality to date: Thomas Varshock, 52, of Tecate, a town on the U.S. side of the border southeast of San Diego. His body was found Sunday afternoon, the San Diego County Medical Examiner's Office said.

Touring an evacuee camp at Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger pledged to do everything in his power to assist the firefighting effort and help those who have lost their homes.

"I will be relentless all the way through this," Schwarzenegger said

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Pabster
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
This seems like an annual event.

Yep. What's sad is several of the fires are apparently arson.

I remember 20 years ago they had huge Wild Fires in the Santa Cruz Mountains that threatened our home that was in the foothills of the Almaden Area of San Jose (CA) and those fires were caused by an arsonist.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Pabster
This seems like an annual event.

Yep. What's sad is several of the fires are apparently arson.

I remember 20 years ago they had huge Wild Fires in the Santa Cruz Mountains that threatened our home that was in the foothills of the Almaden Area of San Jose (CA) and those fires were caused by an arsonist.

A few years ago here in BC we had some huge fires that threatened and burned houses in a city in the interior. Apparently the largest one was caused by a firefighter who threw out her cigarette while fighting another fire. It was kind of weird cause no one knew, but she felt so guilty about it that she came clean after the fire was out.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Most of the fires in the San Diego area are outside the metro area limits (at this time)

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Does anyone know if they do controlled burns in that area?

I know a few years ago when we (FL) were having serious wildfire problems we started a more aggressive controlled burn campaign.

I remember driving to Daytona last year on State Road 40 and both sides of the road had little mini-fires going, right up to the asphalt, very dark and smoky, in fact it was downright spooky.

marincounty

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
Now Ahnold has pulled national guard troops guarding the border and sent them to patrol the fire areas.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Originally posted by: marincounty
Now Ahnold has pulled national guard troops guarding the border and sent them to patrol the fire areas.

Which border were they guarding? Iraq Iran border? :D

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
This somewhat ties in with the 60 minutes piece last Sunday. But the thesis of 60 minutes was that this must be global warming because we are seeing he fires get bigger.
With 200,000 acre fires being a past rarity and now they are common.

While I certainly believe in global warming, I find the 60 minutes claims hard to swallow for two reasons. (1) There have been a lot of studies to the effect that the longer a fire is delayed, the more fire prone an area becomes. (2) Options with things like backfires and just bull dozing firebreaks become greatly reduced when there are houses cropping up in former wilderness areas.

The Santa Anna winds that drive the fires have been occurring with regularity stretching back many centuries and I see no real evidence they are stronger now than in the past. But a long standing policy of preventing past fires now come back to bite because there are no existing previously burned over areas to prevent the unrestricted continuation of fires. And the other variable, the oxygen content in the air remains unchanged.

And the post by ayabe may well touch on what the long term solution is in California. All else just kicks the can down the road dangerously.

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
We had problems with fires here in south Georgia earlier this year. We don't usually have winds like they do in California, but with drought conditions fires seemed to burn for several months. I took a vacation in late May and went to Vegas. I was glad to be away from the constant smoky air.

D

Deleted member 4644

The SD fire dept is way understaffed.

The department's personnel includes 880 uniformed firefighters, making the ratio of firefighters per capita 0.69 per 1,000, or one to 1,469 residents. It should be noted that the ratio does not include transient population such as tourists or those who work but do not live within the city limits. To compare, San Francisco has one fire fighter per 421 residents, Phoenix has one firefighter per 997 residents, the city of Los Angeles has one firefighter per 1,126 residents.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/...ews_lz1e26declerc.html

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: marincounty

And to think...nothing will change there :D

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
With the price of real estate in California being what it is, who is going to come foreword to propose aggressive controlled burns?

I'd say the "not in my backyard" mentality is catching up with them.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Lemon law
This somewhat ties in with the 60 minutes piece last Sunday. But the thesis of 60 minutes was that this must be global warming because we are seeing he fires get bigger.
With 200,000 acre fires being a past rarity and now they are common.

While I certainly believe in global warming, I find the 60 minutes claims hard to swallow for two reasons. (1) There have been a lot of studies to the effect that the longer a fire is delayed, the more fire prone an area becomes. (2) Options with things like backfires and just bull dozing firebreaks become greatly reduced when there are houses cropping up in former wilderness areas.

The Santa Anna winds that drive the fires have been occurring with regularity stretching back many centuries and I see no real evidence they are stronger now than in the past. But a long standing policy of preventing past fires now come back to bite because there are no existing previously burned over areas to prevent the unrestricted continuation of fires. And the other variable, the oxygen content in the air remains unchanged.

And the post by ayabe may well touch on what the long term solution is in California. All else just kicks the can down the road dangerously.

The houses make a great fire load.

maddogchen

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2004
its really sad for the folks who lost their homes. Do they do controlled burns every year?

I was thinking when I read the news that I don't even know who my house is insured with...if it burned down, i would be going crap, who do I call? Its all in the bills in my house, doh.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
10-23-2007 The raging hot winds to the south of San Jacinto cause a storm that spawned a rare tornado.

It tore the roof off a friend of our's house and she said the house is full of sand.

She lives a couple of blocks from center of town.

Because of the fires there is no news coverage of this tornado and damage other than me.

I'll post pics when she is able to get back online.

This is a report with pics of the very small tornado of one nearby from a few weeks ago.

There was no damage with this one however.

Another Spout Near Lake Elsinore Sunday 9-3-07

They are calling it a sandstrom and here is four pics on the webbsite:

10-23-2007 Photos of Wind Damage From San Jacinto Sandstorm

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: maddogchen
its really sad for the folks who lost their homes. Do they do controlled burns every year?

I was thinking when I read the news that I don't even know who my house is insured with...if it burned down, i would be going crap, who do I call? Its all in the bills in my house, doh.

The local Fire Departments and the Forestry Service would like to do controlled burns.

However, politics gets in the way many times.

You should know who your insurance carrier is - you needed to have a policy to get a mortgage on your place.

Unless your house is paid off; then you should know who you write out a check to each year for coverage.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003

(In case this helps someone)

The answer is to contact your bank. They keep copies of your checks on record. Order copies for the last year and see who you paid the premiums to.

For insurance purposes, whether theft or fire etc, it's recommended to keep info on your home possesions in a safe deposit box etc. (Same for businesses).

Fern

Feb 24, 2001
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
10-23-2007 The raging hot winds to the south of San Jacinto cause a storm that spawned a rare tornado.

It tore the roof off a friend of our's house and she said the house is full of sand.

She lives a couple of blocks from center of town.

Because of the fires there is no news coverage of this tornado and damage other than me.

I'll post pics when she is able to get back online.

This is a report with pics of the very small tornado of one nearby from a few weeks ago.

There was no damage with this one however.

Another Spout Near Lake Elsinore Sunday 9-3-07

They are calling it a sandstrom and here is four pics on the webbsite:

10-23-2007 Photos of Wind Damage From San Jacinto Sandstorm

As mentioned before, I'm a few hours south of you and it's been windy here like crazy today. No watches in effect though. Yet.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005

1) STEP ONE:
invest in a Fire Resistant Safe ... and fill it with all of your important documents (wills, bank accounts, stock portfolios, birth certificates, passports, marriage licenses, deeds, emergency contact lists, loan information, etc).

2) STEP TWO:
Keep a certified copy of each of those documents in a safety deposit box a few miles away.

I'm serious! Plan for the future, and for emergencies of all kinds, so you don't get caught with your pants around your ankles...

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Common Courtesy

The local Fire Departments and the Forestry Service would like to do controlled burns.

You should know who your insurance carrier is - you needed to have a policy to get a mortgage on your place.

Unless your house is paid off; then you should know who you write out a check to each year for coverage.
IIRC, isn't the main fuel going in to these fires exceptionally dry grasses that resulted from the drought this year? Controlled burning can be a way to clear out forest undergrowth, but I'm not sure it's something you can do on grassland.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: palehorse74

1) STEP ONE:
invest in a Fire Resistant Safe ... and fill it with all of your important documents (wills, bank accounts, stock portfolios, birth certificates, passports, marriage licenses, deeds, emergency contact lists, loan information, etc).

2) STEP TWO:
Keep a certified copy of each of those documents in a safety deposit box a few miles away.

I'm serious! Plan for the future, and for emergencies of all kinds, so you don't get caught with your pants around your ankles...

Those safes are nice if the fire department manages to put out the fire in your home. If your home burns down to the ground and all that is left are ashes and the foundation those "resistant" safes are not going to help you at all. Step two sounds like a better idea and it would work more so if you keep the originals in the safe deposit box and the copies at home instead.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Originally posted by: ViRGE
Originally posted by: Common Courtesy

IIRC, isn't the main fuel going in to these fires exceptionally dry grasses that resulted from the drought this year? Controlled burning can be a way to clear out forest undergrowth, but I'm not sure it's something you can do on grassland.

Controlled burns can reduce fire intensities in grasslands by reducing shrubby, woody species which burn hotter/longer. Also, controlled burns are set during times of "ideal" humidity/temperature so burns are cooler.