California was fun but I'm moving back to Florida...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cressida

Platinum Member
Sep 10, 2000
Have a safe trip back. I go to Cali yearly to visit family and it's fun but don't see myself living there as well.

Toasthead

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
thanks for visiting. please drive thru.

ooorrrr...if you cant find SOMETHING to do in CA...yer just not trying.

Toasthead

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
Originally posted by: CTrain
Originally posted by: bondboy
Originally posted by: intogamer
ROLF ''if you drive a civic park it in a garage"

I don't get it. Why is this true? :confused:

I have a Civic Si.
First night I arrived in Sacto, they broke into my car and stole my sh!t.
2 weeks later....they stole my car and was found sitting on the ground with no wheels.
Everyone told me about the theft problem here and I didn't believe them until it happenned to me. And I live in a really nice neighbothood.
There's an old thread about my car stolen.

hah you lived in south sac area didnt you?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
GL. I'm sure cali is nice, but I know that florida is. Excellent weather most of the time, and moving that far from friends/family sucks.

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: jjsole
California and florida have one big thing in common - they both have some ridiculously positive things about them, as well as some ridiculously negative things about them.

Negative things about California? Unpossible. :D

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
When I was working as a subcontractor for the rail road I was living (or had my 5th wheel) in a park in west palm beach and they flew me to Cali to do some work. I lived on the entire east coast up and down the side for a year in FL. In CA after that job was done (north of LA souuth of San Fran) I visited my brother in LA for 2 weeks and the entire time he was bugging me to move there. Honestly the 2 weeks were to much for me. I could never live in LA ever. Traffic, rude people, everyone going crazy having to be somewhere drove me nuts. Where I was living at in FL there was really no traffic (other then the slow old people taking up both lanes doing the same speed at times). The people there were nice and MUCH more laid back lifestyle. I loved it there and cannot wait to go back. Just need to talk the old lady into it.

huesmann

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 1999
Originally posted by: funboy42
When I was working as a subcontractor for the rail road I was living (or had my 5th wheel) in a park in west palm beach and they flew me to Cali to do some work. I lived on the entire east coast up and down the side for a year
Cali has an east coast? :confused:

BHeemsoth

Platinum Member
Jul 30, 2002
Originally posted by: Stark
i'll have to agree that florida is better than working at mcdonalds in Sacto. i don't know if it's fair to say that jobs pay worse, since minimum wage is the same wherever you go. :p

That is not true. Many states have a state minimum wage that supercedes the Federal minimum wage.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Originally posted by: huesmann
Originally posted by: funboy42
When I was working as a subcontractor for the rail road I was living (or had my 5th wheel) in a park in west palm beach and they flew me to Cali to do some work. I lived on the entire east coast up and down the side for a year
Cali has an east coast? :confused:

Opps made a mistake, so sorry for messng up your life. I did fix it for you though, just for you and only you :)

psteng19

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2000
Uhmm... you moved all the way from FL to CA to find a GF? :Q

Did you know anyone out there?
Did you have a job?

Ophir

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2001
Originally posted by: cavemanmoron
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Originally posted by: GhettoPeanut
who would want to live in either place?
Those of us who live in the North East.

speak for yourself.

FL gets too many Thunderstorms,and Hurricanes for me.

CA too many earthquakes,fires,and landslides.

I would consider N. Carolina,inland from the ocean.
Better yet, move into a sealed bomb shelter with no internet connection, pvssy.

Ophir

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2001
Originally posted by: psteng19
Uhmm... you moved all the way from FL to CA to find a GF? :Q

Did you know anyone out there?
Did you have a job?
... and to Sacramento of all places? What a dump. Head down to SD for a better perspective.

ed21x

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Originally posted by: ed21x
Originally posted by: bondboy
Originally posted by: intogamer
ROLF ''if you drive a civic park it in a garage"

I don't get it. Why is this true? :confused:

I have a Civic Si.
First night I arrived in Sacto, they broke into my car and stole my sh!t.
2 weeks later....they stole my car and was found sitting on the ground with no wheels.
Everyone told me about the theft problem here and I didn't believe them until it happenned to me. And I live in a really nice neighbothood.
There's an old thread about my car stolen.

yup--- that defintiely sounds like the bay area =) after awhile, the graffiti, homeless, run down buildings and mentally unstable 50 year old hippies start to grow on you. Either that, or you lose faith in humanity and lower your standards. There is so much freedom in losing hope.
Sounds more like that sh!thole Berkeley than the Bay Area.

Berkeley, Richmond, El Cerritos, Oakland, and pretty much any other city bordering this area. It gets nicer when you make your way South, but definitely not to the point where you can keep your car out at night and expect it not to be broken into. There are parts of Palo Alto, San Jose, Saratoga, Walnut Creek, and Marin County that are quite nice in the sense that there isn't much there except miles and miles of generic looking suburban homes.

CTrain

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2001
SUMMARY:
Left Sacramento Thurs 9am and got to Orlando Sun. 10pm.
I'm totally exhausted....never drove so much in my life.
Just slept for 14 hrs after I got home.

-Distance: 2995 miles
-Gas: $247(Averaging 30mpg @ ~$2.50/gal)
-Lodging: $44.15
-Food: $38.00 ??
-Stopped twice: $0(Cause my headlight was out). Only warnings :)
-Pit stop in TJ: $$$$$$$(more than money spent on gas, food and lodging combined)
-Home again: PRICELESS !!!

CTrain

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2001
Weather is very nice right now.
It'll be back to the scorching summer heat in about 1 month.

CptObvious

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2004
Weather is very nice right now.
It'll be back to the scorching summer heat in about 1 month.
It was 49 degrees when I woke up this morning :confused:

In the middle of April, who knew. I'm in Gainesville BTW

Well, not really destination to destination but I managed to drive from SD to Pensacola in less than 2 days.(Fri 1pm to Sun 8am not including the 3hrs I lost in the time change)

SUMMARY:
Left Sacramento Thurs 9am and got to Orlando Sun. 10pm.
I'm totally exhausted....never drove so much in my life.
Just slept for 14 hrs after I got home.

-Distance: 2995 miles
-Gas: $247(Averaging 30mpg @ ~$2.50/gal)
-Lodging: $44.15
-Food: $38.00 ??
-Stopped twice: $0(Cause my headlight was out). Only warnings :)
-Pit stop in TJ: $$$$$$$(more than money spent on gas, food and lodging combined)
-Home again: PRICELESS !!!

I really missed my friends.
I missed the beer drinking, poker games, golfing, shooting pool, fishing on the lake.....

I was planning to stay in Cali for at least a year but its been only about 7 months and I'm bored to death.
I realized friends that I've known for years with common interests....I can't find very easily.

What I learned in California:

- If you drive a Civic, you better park it in the garage.
- The wages aren't neccessarily higher here even though living expenses are much, much higher here.

I mean if you're not a professional, you're making the same wages as in Fla.
I don't see how people can afford to live here if you don't have a career.

I wish I can snap my fingers and be back in Fla but my car is with me so its gonna be a long drive back.
Packing right now.....heading out tommorow.
Yeah, that's okay if you prefer a state that doesn't protect you to its fullest. Florida sucks a$$ when it comes to law, especially to protect the defenseless. If I had to choose between the two, California hands down! Long live California!

You'll probably return some day. Your problem may have been your choice of city. Sacramento is pretty dry and boring, if I understand.... It's where the laws are crafted....

P.S. Wow! I'm surprised you were able to reach Florida within 2 days. I imagine you didn't get much sleep. Didn't you fall asleep on the wheel? I would if I were driving that distance and had to be in the city within 2 days.