California to stop allowing new internal combustion light vehicles in 2035

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
so, you mean in the inevitable future where the battery market/electric market vastly outstrips ICE?

Again, stop making future predictions based on current, and mostly past, understanding of the world as it is. Absolutely mindboggling that anyone with any exposure to tech, or even science, continues to think this way.

Only the worst predictions are made under such terrible lack of vision. ;)

As someone who's been in tech for a long time, I can say with authority that technology rarely makes things better. It just replaces old problems with new ones :)

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
A modern car in California climate will easily last 20 years. They can buy a 2034 model and be good until 2054. Probably even save some money repairing their old vehicle vs pointlessly buying a new one every five years. Thanks, California!

Any more dumb points to rage about?
Yea, I see this as leading to a boon in car sales before the ban, but then a sharp drop off after. Even with 15 years to establish the infrastructure, I think charging will be a problem.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
I can tell my car to charge overnight when demand is lowest. Less gird investment probably needed than you would think.
Of course you can charge it overnight, but if you live in a large, high rise apartment or condo, will there be enough chargers, or will you just run an extension cord from the 50th floor?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
As someone who's been in tech for a long time, I can say with authority that technology rarely makes things better. It just replaces old problems with new ones :)
I don't necessarily disagree with that, but the paradigm certainly shifts drastically, and quite frequently. It's easy enough to look back and see how preposterously different the world was, with tech being such a central pillar now, 30 years ago. Even in the pre-smartphone days of near-ancient 2008.

I think it definitely adds a lot of problems, certainly many unforeseen, but in many ways, it's just different problems. You solve a lot of problems, you also end up creating a lot of new ones and in the end, you still live in a world with problems.

Welcome to humanity. :D

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
This should serve as a warning of things to come, though. People buying a shiny new Ford Mustang Mach E might find themselves getting screwed like this as well 8 years down the road after the battery warranty runs out.
But this is no different from any car. Same thing can happen with a modern engine/transmission. The difference would be if a current car manufacturer was tacking on an extra few thousand dollars to these prices just because they didn't want to have to maintain their old cars. Car manufactures don't do this because their ICE cars are where they make almost all their money, so they are at least a little more concerned about taking care of these customers. This has nothing to do with technology and everything to do with consumer protection, which the current administration has pretty thoroughly gutted.

However, as electric cars become more mainstream, the situation will improve because once you reach a critical mass, it at least becomes worth it for third parties to supply replacements.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
charge up at some other location like everyone does today anyway? i don't have a gas pump at my place. do you?
It doesn't take 30 minutes to 12 hours to fill my tank. The lines are going to be very long.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I don't necessarily disagree with that, but the paradigm certainly shifts drastically, and quite frequently. It's easy enough to look back and see how preposterously different the world was, with tech being such a central pillar now, 30 years ago. Even in the pre-smartphone days of near-ancient 2008.

I think it definitely adds a lot of problems, certainly many unforeseen, but in many ways, it's just different problems. You solve a lot of problems, you also end up creating a lot of new ones and in the end, you still live in a world with problems.

Welcome to humanity. :D
We were getting into what you call Groupware about a 1.5 years before I retired. So thankful.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
Honestly, most of the charging is done at home. At 10,000 miles I've done 85% of my charging at home. I don't know why people think it's hard to put in infrastructure for a lot less use.

I've only used superchargers for long trips and it added a tiny portion to the drive as I needed to stop for bathroom, food etc....

BTW total cost of ownership excluding car payment at 10k miles... $200.

Nov 8, 2012
Honestly, most of the charging is done at home. At 10,000 miles I've done 85% of my charging at home. I don't know why people think it's hard to put in infrastructure for a lot less use.

I've only used superchargers for long trips and it added a tiny portion to the drive as I needed to stop for bathroom, food etc....

BTW total cost of ownership excluding car payment at 10k miles... $200.

Something tells me your not adding in the additional dollars on your electric bill - and the bills from your stops at charging stations... which a super charger... aint cheap. at all.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Something tells me your not adding in the additional dollars on your electric bill - and the bills from your stops at charging stations... which a super charger... aint cheap. at all.

Don't worry, apparently every residential parking space in California is somehow going to get its own electric charging station within the next 15 years. I guess that it doesn't matter that the industry hasn't even agreed on a single high speed charging standard yet... just get it done. The governor demanded it! :)

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Don't worry, apparently every residential parking space in California is somehow going to get its own electric charging station within the next 15 years. I guess that it doesn't matter that the industry hasn't even agreed on a single high speed charging standard yet... just get it done. The governor demanded it! :)

Lordy

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Let's not strive for greatness, mostly because it's hard, but also because it's uncomfortable.

Let's just keep status quoing the country into the toilet like we've done since the 1970s, what could go wrong?

Reactions: esquared

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
charge up at some other location like everyone does today anyway? i don't have a gas pump at my place. do you?
No, but the situations are certainly not analogous. I dont mind stopping on the way home for 5 min to fill up the gas. Stopping for 30 min to a few hours to recharge is certainly a different story.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
No, but the situations are certainly not analogous. I dont mind stopping on the way home for 5 min to fill up the gas. Stopping for 30 min to a few hours to recharge is certainly a different story.
do you not grocery shop?

RamIt

Nov 12, 2001
A good step in the right direction for our kids.
I'm glad he made the first step to our future.

Reactions: cytg111