California to stop allowing new internal combustion light vehicles in 2035

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Newsom calls for California ban on new gas-fueled cars by 2035

https://www.politico.com/states/cal...ia-ban-on-new-gas-fueled-cars-by-2035-1317947

Apparently he signed the order on the hood of a new electric Ford Mustang with Bill Ford standing over him. The automakers knew this was going to happen eventually.

Gov. Gavin Newsom is calling for California to ban new gasoline-fueled vehicles within 15 years in a bid to combat climate change and make the state the first in the nation to stop sales of cars with internal combustion engines.

The Democratic governor announced Wednesday that he is signing an executive order that directs the California Air Resources Board to establish regulations requiring that all new cars and passenger trucks sold in California in 2035 be zero-emission vehicles.

The California Air Resources Board will be tasked with writing these rules, which the Newsom administration estimates would slash greenhouse gas emissions by 35 percent and nitrogen oxide emissions by 80 percent. Other agencies will be directed to support the development of zero-emission vehicle charging stations, and medium- and heavy-duty trucks will be mandated to be zero-emission by 2045 where feasible.

Residents would still be able to own gas-fueled vehicles and sell them on the used market, but the governor's executive order is sure to give rise to questions surrounding the logistics and equity of the transition from internal combustion engines in car-dependent California. The state would join 15 other countries that are already phasing out gas-fueled vehicles.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Do they even have the infrastructure in the cities to support so many electric vehicles? Where do you charge your car if you live in a 20 unit apartment building?

Reactions: pete6032

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Newsom calls for California ban on new gas-fueled cars by 2035

https://www.politico.com/states/cal...ia-ban-on-new-gas-fueled-cars-by-2035-1317947

Apparently he signed the order on the hood of a new electric Ford Mustang with Bill Ford standing over him. The automakers knew this was going to happen eventually.
The next new thing that's going to blow everyones mind in the not too distant future. Carbon based fuels for transportation will have been a thing. ITER will never work, but you will see another way.

This is just a small sample, Fleischmann and Pons were right after all.

Last edited:

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Do they even have the infrastructure in the cities to support so many electric vehicles? Where do you charge your car if you live in a 20 unit apartment building?
Since we're talking about an evolution that will happen over the next 20 years realistically speaking I don't see that as an issue. Putting it in place now will give cities the timeline needed to change zoning and implement other policies to meet the demand as it grows.

Reactions: tweaker2

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
When I was younger, I used to imagine that larger cities would eventually have electrified streets—either via an in-ground rail or overhead wires. I figured older cars could be retrofit with some sort of pantograph or pole to power the cars in the city, and gas would only be used on longer drives out on interstates.

It seems replacing the internal combustion engine may happen sooner than I thought.

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
When I was younger, I used to imagine that larger cities would eventually have electrified streets—either via an in-ground rail or overhead wires. I figured older cars could be retrofit with some sort of pantograph or pole to power the cars in the city, and gas would only be used on longer drives out on interstates.

It seems replacing the internal combustion engine may happen sooner than I thought.
I've been surprised this kind of idea didn't gain more traction along highways and freeways. It would make a 100 mile range EV plenty while still allowing road trips without having to go the phev route.

Nov 8, 2012

Figure out stuff like that later! Impose horrible demands first.

Also on that note... I would probably venture to say that 90% of the California population lives in < 10% of the land. What about the needs of those that.... you know... actually DRIVE places outside of just those cities?

Honestly I think we need hot-swap batteries or things aren't going to work out like people think they will...

Last edited:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

Also on that note... I would probably venture to say that 90% of the California population lives in < 10% of the land. What about the needs of those that.... you know... actually DRIVE places outside of just those cities?

Yes, how will we ever figure out how to deliver *checks notes* electricity.

Are we thinking ranges are going to go down and costs up over the next 15 years?

• Haha
Reactions: mikeymikec

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004

You do realize this is for 2035? Electric range will commonly be 500 miles by that point. I think that will get people places outside of the city.

Reactions: Dulanic

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

The Democrats usually take care of those people. Things like the Rural Electrification Act so rural people wouldn't be left behind for example. Obama proposed a plan to bring broadband to rural areas in 2015, after 7 years of them shitting on him. Personally I think that type of evenhandedness and decency should stop from the dems to these mostly ignorant hicks, they mostly all support Trump who supports defunding blue cities and blue states - which usually provide more tax dollars than they get back federally. So fuck them going forward.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010

A modern car in California climate will easily last 20 years. They can buy a 2034 model and be good until 2054. Probably even save some money repairing their old vehicle vs pointlessly buying a new one every five years. Thanks, California!

Any more dumb points to rage about?

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000

Do you think the Apollo program was all figured out BEFORE Kennedy told Congress “we commit to landing a man on the moon and returning him safely to earth in this decade”?

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Whats the big deal?
Isn't this what manufacturers were going to do anyway?

These vehicle technologies include
- full battery-electric
- hydrogen fuel cell
- plug-in hybrid-electric vehicles.

Coming from a manual transmission guy who has watched everything shift to automatics, what exactly are YOU people losing out on here?
What difference does it make how you SUV\CUV\PUV\TUV\Crossover CUV MUV is powered?
Even the Corvette is headed towards Electric\Hybrid. Same goes with Jeeps and Mustangs and everything else.

Wait...
(Recalls the MAGA brand of choice and how every Dodge Charger\Ram\Durango product has a hemi)
Oh..now I get why MAGA folk are worried.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
This will require significant power grid investments, which is barely able to meet peak demand, especially during heat waves.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Whats the big deal?
Isn't this what manufacturers were going to do anyway?

Coming from a manual transmission guy who has watched everything shift to automatics, what exactly are YOU people losing out on here?
What difference does it make how you SUV\CUV\PUV\TUV\Crossover CUV MUV is powered?
Even the Corvette is headed towards Electric\Hybrid. Same goes with Jeeps and Mustangs and everything else.

Wait...
(Recalls the MAGA brand of choice and how every Dodge Charger\Ram\Durango product has a hemi)
Oh..now I get why MAGA folk are worried.
Cheaper to build, cheaper to maintain.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Cheaper to build, cheaper to maintain.

You are saying that new gas powered cars are cheaper to build and maintain than electric and plugin hybrids?
If so, the Tesla bro's are going to throw down with you

(Full disclosure: I'm a motorcyle\give me a manual transmission kind of guy so I'm already screwed)

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
You are saying that new gas powered cars are cheaper to build and maintain than electric and plugin hybrids?
If so, the Tesla bro's are going to throw down with you

(Full disclosure: I'm a motorcyle\give me a manual transmission kind of guy so I'm already screwed)
I thought he was saying electric is inevitable, and I was pointing out one of the reasons it's happening faster than people thought it would. Burning dead fossilized plants and animals is going to go away a lot faster than people think also. See my post near the top.