California to stop allowing new internal combustion light vehicles in 2035

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I agree that swappable batteries would have been the way to go, but I'm afraid its maybe too late for this, but maybe not. It would make so much more sense. Normal driving around? Just run around with a 40 kwh battery. Going on a road trip? Throw in a 200 kwh battery. No need to worry about hauling around all that extra weight for your normal every day driving. No need to worry about battery charging speeds. Lots of benefits, but no one seems to have the will to force electric cars towards standardizing battery systems.

Having said that, apartments would actually be the cheapest areas per residence to build up charging infrastructure, since you don't have as long of runouts. Also, people keep talking about level 2 chargers being a necessity, but for the majority of Americans, level 1 chargers would be fine. Level 1 is good for up to about 70 miles of driving per day, and on the occasions someone needs more they could go hit a level 3 charger. This wouldn't work for everyone, but it would work for the majority.

There is a Chinese Manufacturer that uses a Replaceable Battery and has a number of Stations setup to make a swap in a few minutes.

Reactions: cytg111

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
There is a Chinese Manufacturer that uses a Replaceable Battery and has a number of Stations setup to make a swap in a few minutes.
Yeah, I've seen that. I just don't know that the US will allow this to come over here. China has the willpower to enforce standards much more so than the US. The best we seem to be able to do these days is to support competing standards.

Nov 8, 2012
I agree that swappable batteries would have been the way to go, but I'm afraid its maybe too late for this, but maybe not. It would make so much more sense. Normal driving around? Just run around with a 40 kwh battery. Going on a road trip? Throw in a 200 kwh battery. No need to worry about hauling around all that extra weight for your normal every day driving. No need to worry about battery charging speeds. Lots of benefits, but no one seems to have the will to force electric cars towards standardizing battery systems.

Having said that, apartments would actually be the cheapest areas per residence to build up charging infrastructure, since you don't have as long of runouts. Also, people keep talking about level 2 chargers being a necessity, but for the majority of Americans, level 1 chargers would be fine. Level 1 is good for up to about 70 miles of driving per day, and on the occasions someone needs more they could go hit a level 3 charger. This wouldn't work for everyone, but it would work for the majority.

Hot swap batteries would also do wonders to help with recycling batteries.

Currently if a battery on an electric car shits out, it's basically going to turn into a giant pile of scrap unless the owner wants to pay $6-10k to get a new battery + installation charge.

Jul 9, 2009
Yeah, I've seen that. I just don't know that the US will allow this to come over here. China has the willpower to enforce standards much more so than the US. The best we seem to be able to do these days is to support competing standards.
Damn the Constitution and the rule of law! If only we had a totalitarian, authoritarian Communist government it would be so much easier to force our will on the citizens.

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004

Currently if a battery on an electric car shits out, it's basically going to turn into a giant pile of scrap unless the owner wants to pay $6-10k to get a new battery + installation charge.
This is a really good point. It would really help spread the risk for battery tech, which would also help promote adoption since one of the biggest fears regarding reliability revolves around the battery.

Nov 8, 2012
This is a really good point. It would really help spread the risk for battery tech, which would also help promote adoption since one of the biggest fears regarding reliability revolves around the battery.

Plus - carmakers can collaborate just like tech companies did to create USB.

I just can't imagine how people expect apartments to have charging cables for all its residents. Plus were already at the point where there are different charge cables. That... and charge cables are usually not exactly cheap - it's much more cheaper when its your own (or someone elses) electricity while plugged in at your home.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Inductive sans connector technology will probably be the ultimate public way to charge your vehicle.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Whats the big deal?
Isn't this what manufacturers were going to do anyway?

Coming from a manual transmission guy who has watched everything shift to automatics, what exactly are YOU people losing out on here?
What difference does it make how you SUV\CUV\PUV\TUV\Crossover CUV MUV is powered?
Even the Corvette is headed towards Electric\Hybrid. Same goes with Jeeps and Mustangs and everything else.

Wait...
(Recalls the MAGA brand of choice and how every Dodge Charger\Ram\Durango product has a hemi)
Oh..now I get why MAGA folk are worried.
hey now, some of them have diesels!! <diesel guy
:D

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Inductive sans connector technology will probably be the ultimate public way to charge your vehicle.

Long term probably. At least my cat can't nudge my car off its charger at that point like my phone. :expressionless:

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

I just can't imagine how people expect apartments to have charging cables for all its residents. Plus were already at the point where there are different charge cables. That... and charge cables are usually not exactly cheap - it's much more cheaper when its your own (or someone elses) electricity while plugged in at your home.

Just because it is possible to charge at home doesn't mean that it is absolutely necessary that Customers must be able to charge at home.

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004

If an apartment company can have parking for the residents they could easily provide charging as well. As I stated earlier, it would almost certainly be cheaper for apartments compared to individual houses due to the density of the charging stations.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
I'm amused how California thinks that we're somehow going to migrate the entire automotive industry to electric in just 15 years, considering that Tesla has already been selling electric cars for 15 years now and has only captured less than 2% of the existing car market. No other automaker has come even close to their sales numbers, and even that is a drop in the bucket compared to total automobile market.

If California really wants to help with electric car adoption, they should offer grants to support whatever company is going to the first to release a $20,000 electric car with a 300 mile range that also isn't a total shitbox. Until then, they're just a toy for rich urban hipsters.
there aren't a lot of $20,000 gas cars that aren't total shitboxes, and probably none by 2035 regardless of electric car demands, so your concern is noted.
california isn't going it alone, either. various other countries around the world have already announced their bans, and if you don't think a bunch of the CARB-following states won't be joining california shortly i've got a bridge i'd like to sell you.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
there aren't a lot of $20,000 gas cars that aren't total shitboxes, and probably none by 2035 regardless of electric car demands, so your concern is noted.
california isn't going it alone, either. various other countries around the world have already announced their bans, and if you don't think a bunch of the CARB-following states won't be joining california shortly i've got a bridge i'd like to sell you.

But, seriously, do you REALLY think that nobody is going to be selling new gasoline powered cars by 2035? If we're lucky, we'll have the range and cost issues with electric cars resolved before 2030. Then you'll probably need at least another five years for the other automakers to catch up to the likes of Tesla.

California can keep trying to push their environmentalist dreams into laws if they want, but odds are it's not going to happen in time and this law will eventually get pushed back like many of their other well-meaning environmental regulations that aren't based in reality.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001

Tesla seems to be going the opposite direction, though, and wants to start building their battery packs into the frame of the vehicle. It will probably cut down on weight, but it's going to make replacing them a pain in the ass.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
In 2036 Bugatti will release a limited edition ICE powered car. Some will be ooh and ahhh over the novelty.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Looking at the top... say... 25 cars sold in the US we got a loooooooooooooooooooooong way to go is all I can say.

There is some VERY slow progress. I'm about to buy a plug in hybrid SUV - so there is that... but full on electric? Naw.

Imagine an apartment complex of 200+ residences with electric vehicles that need to plug in somewhere. It's simply not reasonable. Thats one of the reasons why I think we should start developing hot-swap batteries for cars.

"Whatever are we going to do about the inevitable tragedy of the 15 foot pile of horseshit that will bury all of New York City within 10 years!"

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

This. also, VW established their 10 year, all electric plan what, 3 years ago? Toyota is well on the way. Ditto Ford.

lol, so-called patriots are probably going to be apopleptic with rage when they finally wake up and realize that their godly, faithful "product-making brands" have already abandoned them.

It's weird to come into a forum like this and see how many so-called adults absolutely hate technology and progress. I mean, these people absolutely hate it.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
But, seriously, do you REALLY think that nobody is going to be selling new gasoline powered cars by 2035? If we're lucky, we'll have the range and cost issues with electric cars resolved before 2030. Then you'll probably need at least another five years for the other automakers to catch up to the likes of Tesla.

California can keep trying to push their environmentalist dreams into laws if they want, but odds are it's not going to happen in time and this law will eventually get pushed back like many of their other well-meaning environmental regulations that aren't based in reality.
Of course companies will still be selling ICE cars. Just not new ones in CA. That should have been obvious.

Reactions: zinfamous

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
"Whatever are we going to do about the inevitable tragedy of the 15 foot pile of horseshit that will bury all of New York City within 10 years!"

There is a BIG difference between the migration from the horse and buggy and the automobile and the transition from gasoline to electric cars.

Electric cars honestly aren't a big improvement over gasoline cars for many people. They aren't going to get you to work much faster thanks to traffic. If anything, they add extra inconveniences to your life thanks to their slow charging. We also haven't had the "Model T" moment with Electric cars yet, where a low cost mass market vehicle is released that's a HUGE improvement over the status quo. Like I said before, a low cost long range electric car that's actually good would do far more to spur sales than some bad legislation trying to cram the cars down people's throats.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

range is already fine. cost really isn't that different - a $25,000 gas cute ute amortized over 5 years is $416/month principle, a $35k electric cute ute is $583 (and that's not considering equipment differences, only basest base cost). but the electric's fuel is much cheaper, maintenance costs are lower, and the things last longer so i'm guessing depreciation is better with the electric. costs will only improve for electric vehicles as more are made and you know what helps that? a government mandate.

Last edited: