California to EPA, you are wrong

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
linkage

"It is my hope that the EPA will take a hard look at this court decision, realize they were wrong and give California what it needs: the ability to make gasoline with or without oxygenates as conditions warrant," Gov. Gray Davis says. "California is not anti-ethanol. However, it does not make sense for Washington to dictate that it be used in every single gallon of gas."

Since Davis questions the EPA, does this make him anti-environment. After all, according to some around here, the EPA has the final word on what is best for the environment.

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003
Originally posted by: charrison
linkage

"It is my hope that the EPA will take a hard look at this court decision, realize they were wrong and give California what it needs: the ability to make gasoline with or without oxygenates as conditions warrant," Gov. Gray Davis says. "California is not anti-ethanol. However, it does not make sense for Washington to dictate that it be used in every single gallon of gas."

Since Davis questions the EPA, does this make him anti-environment. After all, according to some around here, the EPA has the final word on what is best for the environment.

Nice way to simplify a complex issue into conservative rhetoric.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: sMiLeYz
linkage

Everytime a conservative questions the EPA, it is the conservative that is wrong and the not EPA. I sense some duplicity.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
linkage

Everytime a conservative questions the EPA, it is the conservative that is wrong and the not EPA. I sense some duplicity.

It's not the act of questioning that differentiates between the "environmental/anti-environmental", it's the questions being asked. For decades California has been way ahead of the EPA on auto emmissions policy.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: sandorski
linkage

It's not the act of questioning that differentiates between the "environmental/anti-environmental", it's the questions being asked. For decades California has been way ahead of the EPA on auto emmissions policy.

And year after year LA remains one of the most polluted cities, so I guess california and the EPA are doing something right.

The point being is that anyone should be able to question results from the EPA. The EPA is not beyond making mistakes.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
You assume that the Bush-run EPA actually cares about the environment...

Yes I guess that is why off road deisels have to live under new emissions standards.
I guess that is why the clear skies act will further reduce pollution beyond the clean air act.
Cafe standards increased
Better forest management to reduce wildfires.

uncleel

Dec 18, 2002
there is truth to the MTBE argument.

It only works on order cars.
It lowers the mpg
it adds to the cost of gasoline

the greastest ill, MTBE is an ecological disaster, w/ no proven way to remove it fom groundwater.
This after the government mandated fiberglass underground tanks, & all the service stations that couldn't afford it went broke. But still had to remove the metal tanks.

This is another example of political correctness vs science vs economics.

Energy Commission MTBE Study
Study of Alternatives to Methyl Tertiary-Butyl Ether,
An Oxygenate in California Reformulated Gasoline
http://www.energy.ca.gov/mtbe/

Brie

May 27, 2003

And year after year LA remains one of the most polluted cities, so I guess california and the EPA are doing something right.

The point being is that anyone should be able to question results from the EPA. The EPA is not beyond making mistakes.

It also happens to be one of the largest cities. You need to expand your argument to pollution per capita if your going to prove anything.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Brie

It also happens to be one of the largest cities. You need to expand your argument to pollution per capita if your going to prove anything.

The argument is that the EPA is not always right.

Brie

May 27, 2003
Originally posted by: Brie

The argument is that the EPA is not always right.

I agree with you there. Didnt mean to go OT.

MonstaThrilla

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: MonstaThrilla
The EPA's actions under this Administration have been dubious at best:

Doctored EPA Environment Report

Saying we know what causes global warming would be dubious at best.

Switching the debate from the broad merits of the current EPA to the merits of a single, long-standing issue of environmentalists would be dubious at best.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
The EPA is wrong. The state should be able to allow the sale of unoxigenated gas by region. How can you pass a law where the result will be that California will use all the ethanol produced in the nation. How about the other states. What has to go, what should have gone yesterday was MTBE. This is another example of money buying law.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: sandorski
Originally posted by: MonstaThrilla
The EPA's actions under this Administration have been dubious at best:

Doctored EPA Environment Report

Saying we know what causes global warming would be dubious at best.

Maybe, but it should be scientists and not politicians who make the determination.

You right. And I doubt that this was a political move.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
the greastest ill, MTBE is an ecological disaster, w/ no proven way to remove it fom groundwater. This after the government mandated fiberglass underground tanks, & all the service stations that couldn't afford it went broke. But still had to remove the metal tanks.
lol! So much of an ecological disaster that Europe approved MTBE after studying it for nearly 10 years. Its cancer causing properties are negligible, it has very low toxicity, is rapidly metabolized by the body, but it makes drinking water smell bad if it finds its way into water systems by way of leaking tanks...so its an ecological disaster.
rolleye.gif