California proves it's hypocrisy yet again regarding Arizona

Freshgeardude

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2006
I thought they were in a boycott of Arizona???

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...migration-law-boycott-traffic-camera-dispute/

Los Angeles council members voted Wednesday to make an exemption to its self-imposed boycott of Arizona, opting to extend a contract with an Arizona-based company that operates enforcement cameras at Los Angeles intersections -- a program that earned the city $6 million last year.
Los Angeles has led the boycott against Arizona over its controversial immigration law, banning most city travel to the state as well as future contracts with Arizona companies. The city council has argued that the law, which allows local law enforcement to check the immigration status of any suspected illegal, is unconstitutional and could lead to racial profiling.
But council members on Wednesday made an exception to their boycott, voting to extend a lucrative contract with red-light camera operator American Traffic Solutions, based in Scottsdale.
Citing major safety concerns, council members argued that the red light camera program at 32 Los Angeles intersections should be exempt from the boycott.
"The boycott never intended to impede public safety," Los Angeles city councilman Richard Alarcon told the panel.

Members of the Los Angeles Police Department also appeared at the hearing, arguing that the program has been instrumental in reducing the number of accidents at traffic intersections that use the enforcement cameras.
The LAPD said Wednesday that "there have been no red light-related fatalities at any of these 32 intersections since these cameras were installed."
But Councilman Bill Rosendahl questioned the LAPD's findings, citing other reports that rear-end traffic collisions have nearly tripled at red light camera intersections.
"Since the stated goal of this program is safety, shouldn't we be looking at alternative solutions?" Rosendahl asked.
Others, like assistant city attorney Terry Martin Brown, argued for the exemption by stating that the Arizona-based contractor has an office in California and also employs Californians.
The red light cameras record traffic violations and are intended to deter people from running red lights, causing potentially fatal accidents. The program earned Los Angeles a reported $6 million in 2009. An expansion of the contract, which expires June 30, would cost the city $2.3 million.

So if California makes money from Arizona, its ok, but if its the other way around, its a boycott.

But its for the safety of the people, right????!

screw you California

rpanic

Golden Member
Dec 1, 2006
Laughed when I heard about this driving home. LA city council is a joke.

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
California is the worst-run state in the Union. All of the current state-level politicians and most of the local level politicians need to be sent to prison.

dammitgibs

Jan 31, 2009
Did they ever stop buying power from AZ? What's even better is Sacramento joined in on the whole boycott thing, but an AZ company is responsible for the remodeling of a large downtown area that employs local people, so by boycotting AZ they're laying off their own workers when they already have one of the highest unemployment in the country. If I didn't laugh I'd cry.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Yeah, surely a matter of "public safety". Typical spineless CA hypocrites. They have no courage of conviction.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Read in another article, they said the cameras actually cost them $300K/ yr over what the fines brought in but "in the interest of public safety" they'd keep them.

There was another contractor they can use. Also based in AZ. He,he.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Ahh, silly boycotts that exist for PR only. Be a man and cut ALL ties if you want to play hardball.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
I wonder if they've taken a Poll statewide in CA to determine how the majority of CA residents feel about AZ's law. I know that my family and friends that live there are all for it (even though some of them employ illegals as gardeners)

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
We're firm on our moral principles, as long as it involves empty gestures and posturing. Twats.