California moves to expand health care for illegal immigrants

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
How is comprehensive health insurance not suitable for everybody?

The rest? The clinics, the HSA's, the blah-blah? How do we pay for that?

Because different people have different needs and it's stupid to try to force everyone to pay for the features you think are amazing. Some folks only want and need a very basic high-deductible plan to cover for catastrophic care. Especially for younger folks that's what gives them the best ROI on their money. Which is why I've argued here repeatedly should have been provided universally as the core ACA benefit.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Because different people have different needs and it's stupid to try to force everyone to pay for the features you think are amazing. Some folks only want and need a very basic high-deductible plan to cover for catastrophic care. Especially for younger folks that's what gives them the best ROI on their money. Which is why I've argued here repeatedly should have been provided universally as the core ACA benefit.

Hogwash. The ACA is a generational & economic compact, reaching well beyond such short-sightedness. It means that you'll always be able to afford it, young or old, well off or on the skids. It prevents all of us from being squeezed out when we need it the most. That's the guaranteed ROI. When we look at it across a human lifetime it accomplishes things that what you offer can't touch.

Well, unless you're in the medicaid gap in states not part of medicaid expansion, in which case you can still get fucked.

Thanks, Republicans!

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
But if that article is true, what does the ACA have to do with the issue? (not meant as a 'poke', I just don't see the connection)

"Pre-Obamacare it was $130/vial or roughly $13 OOP. Now its up to over $330 per vial. He used 3-4 vials per month. So just in insulin costs I am now paying $120 more than I did before."

You don't understand. It's all Obama's fault. Everything!

Well, any time critics can find edge cases of correlation they can claim as causation.

You know the drill.

Do you use macros?

You asked a pertinent question. I offered an answer. I should have been more direct. The ACA has nothing to do with the issue. It's like Saddam's connection to Al Qaeda, existing only in the minds of believers.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Don't get me started.

Grrrrr....
Two points:

1. It's not Obamacare screwing you, it's capitalism. Couple that with a Congress that serves big pharma and a neutered FDA, and you get $300 insulin.

2. If you check the Corrections at the very bottom of VG's link, it mentions that Wal-Mart has a house brand of insulin that's only $25 per vial. It might be worthwhile for you to investigate, see if it's a good option for your son. Good luck.

cabri

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2012
What mechanism are they using to get government money?
The new bill would offer coverage through Medi-Cal, the state’s healthcare program for low-income individuals. It would also allow undocumented immigrants in the state to buy health insurance with their own money through the state’s Covered California exchange — if the state is granted a waiver by the federal government.
Medicaid / Medi-Cal is paid for by the government.
I also believe that the government subsidizes based on income level commercial insurance if not qualified for Medicaid. (ObamaCare/Covered California)

Or were you just trolling; unaware of the whole insurance thing for the past 6 years:confused::colbert::whiste:

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Medicaid / Medi-Cal is paid for by the government.
I also believe that the government subsidizes based on income level commercial insurance if not qualified for Medicaid. (ObamaCare/Covered California)

Or were you just trolling; unaware of the whole insurance thing for the past 6 years:confused::colbert::whiste:

I read that quote as low income legal residents get government subsidies, not undocumented immigrants. The undocumented need to pay out of pocket for insurance.

I am honestly asking, what mechanism do undocumented immigrants use to get government money? They don't have a SSN so how would they get a subsidy?

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Looks like its boogieman day, again.
This time its the illegals hiding under your bed.
Last week it was the gays.
The week before, Hillary wanted to take over the world.
And the week before that, the goberment was coming to take your guns.
Want to know is, why are all the bee's dying?

cabri

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2012
I read that quote as low income legal residents get government subsidies, not undocumented immigrants. The undocumented need to pay out of pocket for insurance.

I am honestly asking, what mechanism do undocumented immigrants use to get government money? They don't have a SSN so how would they get a subsidy?
If CA is allowing them access to the system; they will have to generate sometype of identification.

Covered Cal allows access to subsidized insurance.
One needs to provide some data to get insurance; how they would get around that, I do not know. Maybe because the exchange is controlled by the CA Liberals, they will authorize a dummy #/code for the illegals.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
If CA is allowing them access to the system; they will have to generate sometype of identification.

Covered Cal allows access to subsidized insurance.
One needs to provide some data to get insurance; how they would get around that, I do not know. Maybe because the exchange is controlled by the CA Liberals, they will authorize a dummy #/code for the illegals.

So you have no information about how any of this works but you are certain that undocumented workers are getting taxpayer money, because liberals?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
So you have no information about how any of this works but you are certain that undocumented workers are getting taxpayer money, because liberals?

Sort of looks like you smoked out a conservative brain defective.

cabri

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2012

No, I have faith in the CA system works as advertised; based on the ObamaCare concept.

Income/family size determines subsidy available. Subsidy is paid by the government/taxpayers to the insurance company.

How can CA expand their system to include UNDOCUMENTED aliens?
They either
1) modify their system to not require identification
2) provide an alternate identification
3) they are not going to allow UNDOCUMENTED registration.

#3 does not correlate with the stated proposal.

Sort of looks like you smoked out a conservative brain defective.
So taking a page from Mooney trolling; how would the Liberal Logical Process solve the issue?
Provide subsidized insurance without the needed tracking?

CA SB 4
The bill would require that individuals eligible to purchase California qualified health plans pay the cost of coverage without federal assistance.
So says the bill; but insurance from the exchanges without the subsidy is no different in costs (for most) as if buying on the open market.

So if they are getting work using invalid documentation; such will continue to apply w/ respect to subsidies.
If they are fully working off the grid - you think that they can afford to pay for the full insurance on their own. :confused:

Or will CA (wink, wink) find another way to "HELP".

Last edited:

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
No, I have faith in the CA system works as advertised; based on the ObamaCare concept.

Income/family size determines subsidy available. Subsidy is paid by the government/taxpayers to the insurance company.

How can CA expand their system to include UNDOCUMENTED aliens?
They either
1) modify their system to not require identification
2) provide an alternate identification
3) they are not going to allow UNDOCUMENTED registration.

#3 does not correlate with the stated proposal.

So taking a page from Mooney trolling; how would the Liberal Logical Process solve the issue?
Provide subsidized insurance without the needed tracking?
I don't know. Isn't the exchange a glorified web-based shopping site? It's possible to buy things on websites by providing minimal information. You want subsidy? You have to enter all info including proof of citizenship. You just want insurance as an undocumented immigrant? Just pay for it.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I don't know. Isn't the exchange a glorified web-based shopping site? It's possible to buy things on websites by providing minimal information. You want subsidy? You have to enter all info including proof of citizenship. You just want insurance as an undocumented immigrant? Just pay for it.

But checking my conservative brain defective symptoms, I find wink wink # 657th on the list of approved rationalizations.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
But checking my conservative brain defective symptoms, I find wink wink # 657th on the list of approved rationalizations.

Yes, it's another case of the bill saying the opposite of what they want to happen.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
California moves to expand health care for illegal immigrants

Who is going to pay for this? Gee, maybe California can talk the federal reserve into printing even "more" money to bail the state out? Liberals will drive every state they touch into bankruptcy. It is just a matter of time before California becomes the next Detroit.

It is just a matter of time before this bleeding heart liberal agenda implodes.

Last edited:

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Who is going to pay for this? Gee, maybe California can talk the federal reserve into printing even "more" money to bail the state out? Liberals will drive every state they touch into bankruptcy. It is just a matter of time before California becomes the next Detroit.

Are you retarded? (dont answer we know) The state is doing well right now.

http://www.kcra.com/news/moodys-upgrades-californias-credit-rating/26666116

Your information is about 4 years old on that issue. I wouldn't expect you to upgrade the information bouncing between your 2 brain cells but dont pass that crap along as truth for others to read.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Are you retarded? (dont answer we know) The state is doing well right now.

really?

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/opinion-la/la-ol-greece-and-california-debt-20150127-story.html

By contrast, total state government debt in California, according to the Brown administration and Treasurer John Chiang's office, is about $263 billion, and the state's GDP is $2.2 trillion. That translates to a debt-to-GDP ratio of 12%.

Of course, the official numbers sit at the low end of the estimates. They leave out:

• $66 billion in deferred maintenance on infrastructure
  • $31 billion worth of bonds that have been authorized but not yet issued and roughly
  • $10 billion owed to the federal government for unemployment insurance benefits (although the latter debt is gradually being paid off by California businesses through higher taxes).

Yea, just leave off massive parts of your debt to drive up your numbers.

You did not answer the question, who is going to pay for illegal aliens health benefits.

Pneumothorax

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2002
Two points:

1. It's not Obamacare screwing you, it's capitalism. Couple that with a Congress that serves big pharma and a neutered FDA, and you get $300 insulin.

2. If you check the Corrections at the very bottom of VG's link, it mentions that Wal-Mart has a house brand of insulin that's only $25 per vial. It might be worthwhile for you to investigate, see if it's a good option for your son. Good luck.

There's a ton of different kinds of insulin out there. Some are dirt cheap like regular insulin, while others like Lantus pens are pretty pricey at $300+ per month.
Most likely the Walmart brand is a cheap vial of Regular Insulin.

The cheaper insulin combo of NPH/Regular is nowhere near as good as a combination of Lantus + fast-acting Novolog. Especially long-term treatment for someone who's young like the poster's son. The newer Insulins have much more steady levels of blood sugar and much lower risk of hypoglycemia which can cause permanent brain damage over time. They're also way more convenient as they come in the form of a pen. They also kick in super fast like in 5-15 minutes vs. 1 hour like the older insulin.

In other words, if it's me or my own son with Diabetes, I'd make sure he gets the best.

But back to the OP's topic. From what I can understand, most of these kids will be automatically added to the Medi-cal (Medi-caid) expansion rule of Obamacare rather than exchanges... Since technically their parent's income isn't verifiable anyway as their employer didn't 'legally' file their parent's income, right?
So in other words, doesn't that mean a section of ACA that expanded Medicaid is now going to cover illegals?
AND before you say 'The Feds have to authorize it', given the Obama Admin's past favorable policies on illegals, means this is going to be a rubber stamp yes for this law.

really?

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/opinion-la/la-ol-greece-and-california-debt-20150127-story.html

Yea, just leave off massive parts of your debt to drive up your numbers.

You did not answer the question, who is going to pay for illegal aliens health benefits.

I am, paid >$16,000 in state income tax + property taxes to CA last year and I'm sure I'll be paying more into the future. Too bad I didn't do a 'strategic default' on my still upside-down house back in 2008....

Last edited:

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
There's a ton of different kinds of insulin out there. Some are dirt cheap like regular insulin, while others like Lantus pens are pretty pricey at $300+ per month.
Most likely the Walmart brand is a cheap vial of Regular Insulin.

The cheaper insulin combo of NPH/Regular is nowhere near as good as a combination of Lantus + fast-acting Novolog. Especially long-term treatment for someone who's young like the poster's son. The newer Insulins have much more steady levels of blood sugar and much lower risk of hypoglycemia which can cause permanent brain damage over time. They're also way more convenient as they come in the form of a pen. They also kick in super fast like in 5-15 minutes vs. 1 hour like the older insulin.

In other words, if it's me or my own son with Diabetes, I'd make sure he gets the best.
Yes, understood. That's why I suggested he might want to investigate to see IF it was a good option for his son.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
Wait a second. I thought illegals were super hard working rich people that could afford to pay for their insurance unlike the lazy americans. Now I'm being told they need hand outs? Shocking. This cannot be. The liberals keep telling us they will be a net gain to society, they wouldn't have lied would they?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Denial as projection- You just know what "will" happen based on belief in the liberal boogeyman. Even though none of the projections of Doom! about the ACA have come true, you still hold to the same old fear based ideas.

Liberal agenda implosion? Any day now, right? Never mind the implosion of the right wing agenda in Kansas, happening right under your nose. If the price of oil doesn't recover rsn, I suspect you're in for a similar ride in Texas. Hell- to hear you tell it, that's already happened in your neck of the woods.