California may issue I O U's

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jiggz

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2001

I can't believe we actually re-elected Gregoire knowing what the deficit is coming out of her last term.[/quote]

I didn't! I knew better than re-elect Gregoire!

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Craig234
Originally posted by: Skoorb
I am wondering what the fvck is wrong with CA? How can it suck so much? Is it illegal immigration? Weed-smoking hippies?

It doesn't suck that much, but the problems are largely caused by the radical, nutty, corrupt Republicans and our ridiculous 2/3 requirement for any tax increases.

What that means is that if 60% of the public decides it wants a level of spending and to raise a tax to pay for it, too bad.

However, the democrats - while I like them a lot overall here - are not perfect in all this. We could use some *responsible* Reublican balance, but we don't have that.

Yea, that is so fucking ridiculous :roll:

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Originally posted by: JS80
Yea, that is so fucking ridiculous :roll:

It is actualy. you can't get 2/3rds to agree on anything.

1000th post

badnewcastle

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2004
I am wondering what the fvck is wrong with CA? How can it suck so much? Is it illegal immigration? Weed-smoking hippies?

It doesn't suck that much, but the problems are largely caused by the radical, nutty, corrupt Republicans

You have no clue... the repubs in CA aren't radical or nutty! They just have to put their foot down since they are outnumbered so much. Burt ideologically, they are more middle of the road.

AreaCode7O7

Mar 6, 2005
Originally posted by: Jiggz

I can't believe we actually re-elected Gregoire knowing what the deficit is coming out of her last term.

I didn't! I knew better than re-elect Gregoire!
[/quote]

Well technically I didn't either. But we got her! Although I think Iraq might have her right now.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
What that means is that if 60% of the public decides it wants a level of spending and to raise a tax to pay for it, too bad.

That segment of the population which desires increased spending and is willing to pay for it (which I doubt is now, or will ever be, 60%, but I digress) remains free to send in extra money to the gov't if that's their aim. I know of no law prohibiting excessive payment of taxes.

JeepinEd

Dec 12, 2005

It doesn't suck that much, but the problems are largely caused by the radical, nutty, corrupt Republicans and our ridiculous 2/3 requirement for any tax increases.

However, the democrats - while I like them a lot overall here - are not perfect in all this. We could use some *responsible* Reublican balance, but we don't have that.

You call the CA Republicans corrupt, yet it was the Democratic legislature that tried to circumvent the constitutionally mandated 2/3 requirement for tax increases by calling them fees instead of taxes. As spineless as Arnold is, he actually did the right thing by vetoing this latest budget proposal.