California law bans gay teen 'conversion' therapy

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 6, 2007
You are right. Good luck trying to make this into child abuse. Perhaps that is where you need to start if you want to prevent families from choosing what they feel is best for their children. Its seems you, and others, have a problem with the child abuse laws as they are. Maybe start by changing those.

Good luck with that.

As it stands now, bringing child abuse up under this topic is nothing more than false equivalence and duh-version.
I think you missed my earlier post, so I'll reiterate:

And if you're getting hung up on the word "abuse," it appears in the article as a direct quote from the author of the bill: "Gov. Jerry Brown announced Sunday that he had signed SB1172 by Democratic Senator Ted Lieu of Torrance. The law, which prohibits sexual orientation change efforts for anyone under 18, will stop children from being psychologically abused, Lieu said." [Bolded emphasis mine]

The state is already considering this abuse, as defined in the context of the law which was just signed.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Any moron would say that parents who tried to force their heterosexual children to be gay would be engaging in child abuse. Every moron who for religious reasons feels that homosexuality is evil will think it's not abuse to try to convert their homosexual children to become heterosexuals. This inability to distinguish what is obvious in a normal reality but not in an altered reality state, is a characteristic of conservative thinking. Conservatives can't reason and think logically, they can only respond to the disgust they feel in their stomachs. Conservatives are powerfully convinced of their rectumtude, because their stomachs have thousands of more muscles than their brains do.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
This is the same kind of law that prevents parents from not seeking professional medical treatment for dangerously sick children because of religious beliefs that only prayer can heal and other such garbage. We recognize in this world that some people are truly around the bend and are dangerous for society when they act on their altered reality beliefs. It's a matter of insuring the freedom of underage innocent people from being subjected to insane adults who pretend to be loving children but care more about their delusional realities than they own flesh and blood.

Make no mistake about it, the homophobic loons that we see posting here would rather see humanity go extinct than change their minds. There comes a time when the madness of others can't be tolerated and a declaration made they are despicable mentally ill slime that will be pushed out of the way.

Apr 27, 2012
This is the same kind of law that prevents parents from not seeking professional medical treatment for dangerously sick children because of religious beliefs that only prayer can heal and other such garbage. We recognize in this world that some people are truly around the bend and are dangerous for society when they act on their altered reality beliefs. It's a matter of insuring the freedom of underage innocent people from being subjected to insane adults who pretend to be loving children but care more about their delusional realities than they own flesh and blood.

Make no mistake about it, the homophobic loons that we see posting here would rather see humanity go extinct than change their minds. There comes a time when the madness of others can't be tolerated and a declaration made they are despicable mentally ill slime that will be pushed out of the way.

So parents aren't allowed to get treatment for there kids, right you tyrant

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
I think you missed my earlier post, so I'll reiterate:

And if you're getting hung up on the word "abuse," it appears in the article as a direct quote from the author of the bill: "Gov. Jerry Brown announced Sunday that he had signed SB1172 by Democratic Senator Ted Lieu of Torrance. The law, which prohibits sexual orientation change efforts for anyone under 18, will stop children from being psychologically abused, Lieu said." [Bolded emphasis mine]

The state is already considering this abuse, as defined in the context of the law which was just signed.

That was a quote from a person using the word abuse. Its not in the law. Nice try. Its not contradicting or redefining current child abuse law.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
I believe we were discussing teens, not three or four year olds.

Or are you saying that you can't tell the difference?

To be fair, the state doesn't distinguish between the two age groups.

crashtestdummy

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2010
To be fair, the state doesn't distinguish between the two age groups.

But it's disingenuous to talk about 3 or 4 year olds in terms of gay conversion therapy. A 3 year old has no reasonable conception of sexuality.

To reference an argument from Moonbeam, I want to make sure I'm clear on your position: If I decided that my teenage son was too straight and wanted him to become more gay, you would have no trouble with me taking my child to be brainwashed into enjoying sex with men?

Feb 6, 2007
Fine, but why is it such a bad thing to take them to therapy, Parents want there kids to be straight
Well, first off, this "conversion therapy" hasn't been shown to work in any scientific context, and has been throroughly rebuked by every psychological governance organization. Second, parents can't always get what they want, and changing someone's biology is one of those things where the parents' wishes don't matter as much as reality. If a father really wanted a son but his wife gave birth to a daughter, and he spent the rest of her life raising her as a boy regardless, trying to convince her that she should like women and sports and manly things, that's going to have a profound impact on that girl's psyche. Attempting to change someone's sexual orientation through therapy is no different than attempting to change someone's sex through therapy; it can't be done. It is a biological trait, not a choice, and the parents don't get to choose whether or not their child has that trait.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
But it's disingenuous to talk about 3 or 4 year olds in terms of gay conversion therapy. A 3 year old has no reasonable conception of sexuality.

Totally agree. It would be hard to argue a 3 or 4 year old knows anything about sexuality in general, let alone their own. I think we are definitely talking about teens in this case.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Well, first off, this "conversion therapy" hasn't been shown to work in any scientific context, and has been throroughly rebuked by every psychological governance organization. Second, parents can't always get what they want, and changing someone's biology is one of those things where the parents' wishes don't matter as much as reality. If a father really wanted a son but his wife gave birth to a daughter, and he spent the rest of her life raising her as a boy regardless, trying to convince her that she should like women and sports and manly things, that's going to have a profound impact on that girl's psyche. Attempting to change someone's sexual orientation through therapy is no different than attempting to change someone's sex through therapy; it can't be done. It is a biological trait, not a choice, and the parents don't get to choose whether or not their child has that trait.

Has this been shown scientifically?

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
If being gay is a choice, than isn't being straight? Do you feel that you could reasonably "choose" to enjoy sucking dick?

Er what? Are you really going to sit and argue that the biological need to reproduce and propagate the species is a choice and not a primal instinct? Not sure you want to go down that road.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Telling parents what they should or shouldn't do with their children really backs up your ideology on free will and their freedom to choose.

Because children aren't capable of making that decision, you idiot. You're probably one of those idiots who cheer on those extremists christians who try to pray the cancer away from their kids instead of getting traditional medicine.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
Because children aren't capable of making that decision, you idiot. You're probably one of those idiots who cheer on those extremists christians who try to pray the cancer away from their kids instead of getting traditional medicine.

Reading is not your strong point is it? Clearly name calling and ad hominem attacks are I guess.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2012

How convenient of you to ignore the extremists of the other religions

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
I used to be gay. My mom enrolled me in this cool camp one summer and now I'm bisexual.

I'm making progress. Another summer at camp and I'll be straight.