California - Government that you can trust

Status
Not open for further replies.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Calif. 9/11 fund raided for deficits

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — After the 2001 terrorist attacks, California lawmakers sought a way to channel the patriotic fervor and use it to help victims' families and law enforcement. Their answer: Specialty memorial license plates emblazoned with the words, "We Will Never Forget."
Part of the money raised through the sale of the plates was to fund scholarships for children of California residents who perished in the attacks, while the majority — 85 percent — was to help fund anti-terrorism efforts.

But a review by The Associated Press of the $15 million collected since lawmakers approved the "California Memorial Scholarship Program" shows only a small fraction of the money went to scholarships. While 40 percent has funded anti-terror training programs, $3 million was raided by Gov. Jerry Brown and his predecessor, Arnold Schwarzenegger, to plug the state's budget deficit.

Millions more have been spent on budget items with little relation to direct threats of terrorism, including livestock diseases and workplace safety.
Moreover, the California Department of Motor Vehicles has been advertising the plates as helping the children of Sept. 11 victims, even though the state stopped funding the scholarship program seven years ago. The specialty plate fund continues to take in $1.5 million a year.
The total amount dedicated to scholarships was 1.5 percent of the $5.5 million raised through the sale of the plates through 2005.

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
That's fraud. Send those invovled to jail.

Ridiculous there's even a possiblity that the public sector gets away with this despicable behavior.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
While I find it to be immoral and likely unethical, this type of behavior is likely legal. Most (all?) states have the ability to sweep special-purpose funds into the general fund for practically any reason.

SilthDraeth

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2003
The fraud would be the DMV advertising it was still paying for scholarships when it isn't.

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
And nothing will come of this . . . . . . i'm surpised it even made the "news"

It didn't used to. Fortunately, Californians are starting to pay attention to every dime these cork soakers are collecting now and it sounds like it might have made federal news which is great!

If we don't go bankrupt soon, we'll simply bleed the rest of the country dry with a federal bailout. We'll see how the liberal left feels about federal assistance then.

:wink:

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
The fraud would be the DMV advertising it was still paying for scholarships when it isn't.
Reread the red bolded statement

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) &#8212; After the 2001 terrorist attacks, California lawmakers sought a way to channel the patriotic fervor and use it to help victims' families and law enforcement. Their answer: Specialty memorial license plates emblazoned with the words, "We Will Never Forget."
Part of the money raised through the sale of the plates was to fund scholarships for children of California residents who perished in the attacks, while the majority &#8212; 85 percent &#8212; was to help fund anti-terrorism efforts.

<snip>

Moreover, the California Department of Motor Vehicles has been advertising the plates as helping the children of Sept. 11 victims, even though the state stopped funding the scholarship program seven years ago. The specialty plate fund continues to take in $1.5 million a year.

Last edited:

SilthDraeth

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2003
Reread the red bolded statement

???????

I said it was fraud, that the DMV is still advertising that the funds help scholarships.

Your red bolded section "
Moreover, the California Department of Motor Vehicles has been advertising the plates as helping the children of Sept. 11 victims, even though the state stopped funding the scholarship program seven years ago. The specialty plate fund continues to take in $1.5 million a year. "

I fail to see how my statement was wrong somehow, and required me to reread it.

I think someone earlier asked why it was fraud, since states most likely have laws in place allowing them to take money from any fund to plug holes in other funds. I was stating the DMV and state where committing fraud by advertising a part of the program, meant to tug on the heartstrings, that didn't exist anymore.

Unless you are merely trying to make me reword to say "State isn't paying for the program, instead of DMV" Which I guess is more technically correct, but the DMV is part of the STATE.
Or maybe I misunderstand your reply.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
SilthDraeth

My fault. :oops: I misread the tone of your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.