California: Govenor orders historic 25 percent mandatory water use reduction

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

maddogchen

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2004
Yeah I turned in my neighbors yesterday. Assholes run sprinklers for an hour even after it rains.

There's an old dude that walks around my neighborhood in the morning checking on us....old, balding man that probably snitches on us to the police. He also goes after dog owners that don't pick up after their dogs. I always think, oh there goes the moderator of the neighborhood

Last edited:

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
The government proposes completely reasonable limits on water consumption for non-essential functions, your neighbor violates that ruling and effectively steals water from you and everyone in the community and your response is to report them? I guess that makes sense... in NAZI land.

wat

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
chickpeas wtf

750x422
Graph would be mo better if it showed water use per serving. Who drinks just one once of beer?

unokitty

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2012
Good thing my beef comes from Texas

...wait...aren't they in a drought too?
For the first time in nearly five years more than half of Texas is entirely drought-free
As a result of the rains Texas passed a significant drought milestone last week. For the first time in nearly five years more than half of the state is now entirely drought-free.

Short answer is yes and no. Parts of Texas are still in a drought. But overall situation is improving...

Uno

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
We have to remember too that farmers can't always just cut water. Look at Asparagus, they can't just stop watering and let it die. These plants take 5 to 10 years to produce a viable harvest. Same with nut and fruit trees. It isn't a simple matter of not watering them.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
We have to remember too that farmers can't always just cut water. Look at Asparagus, they can't just stop watering and let it die. These plants take 5 to 10 years to produce a viable harvest. Same with nut and fruit trees. It isn't a simple matter of not watering them.

Well they do strategically let portions die if needed. If the state required 10% cuts from all farmers then they would have to let 10% die.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001

You also have to remember that not all of those crops need the same amount of water.

I'm telling you that the technology is already here to put a huge dent in their water shortage but they are too stupid to use it. Instead they make people not flush their pee and skip showers on tuesday and thursday and reduce overall usage by maybe .5%. The technology that's out there could easily cut total usage by 20%.

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Graph would be mo better if it showed water use per serving. Who drinks just one once of beer?
It would not be better because then it would be an unequal comparison. 1 serving of any liquid won't fill you up as much as 1 serving of lettuce (salad).

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Falafel and hummus would kinda suck without them :p
Well, yeah - but probably less than they suck with them. ;)

You also have to remember that not all of those crops need the same amount of water.

I'm telling you that the technology is already here to put a huge dent in their water shortage but they are too stupid to use it. Instead they make people not flush their pee and skip showers on tuesday and thursday and reduce overall usage by maybe .5%. The technology that's out there could easily cut total usage by 20%.
True, but he has a point. I'm all in favor of forcing farmers in low water lands to grow low water crops, but throwing away years of investment isn't smart. Needs to be mandated with respect to each crop's life cycle, so that they maximize the water's utility while minimizing crop loss.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Looks lke the technology exists to solve CA water woes.

But do they have the will?

Link

the state's landmark laws to tackle greenhouse gases and save energy mandate that less energy be generated in the state over time, not more.

I really hope this is true, because if so CA is forcing itself towards destruction. Power demands aren't going to drop...and to say you need to decrease power generated when you have a power plant type (nuclear) that generates little to no greenhouse gases (other than what is generated for the building of a plant and if they have to run generators to keep things going in emegencies) is just stupid.

maddogchen

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2004
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/California-drought-Get-ready-to-pay-more-at-the-6197359.php

Water departments across California, including dozens in the Bay Area, are now looking to raise rates — in many cases by double digits — to shore up revenues as customers use less water during dry times and water sales plummet.

California folks, prepare to pay more for your water. The more you conserve, the less you use, the less you pay to the water companies, the MORE they will charge you to cover the loss. You just can't win...