California Democratic representative Pete Stark uses anti-gay slurs!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
The comment was not directed at a homo, so it's not anti-gay. The intent and the context are important.

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: manly
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
Originally posted by: manly
Originally posted by: jahawkin
What the article fails to state is the fact that Thomas did not recognize an objection from Stark (Thomas wanted to move to a vote, Stark objected b/c the rest of the dems were not there. This is an objection that Thomas is bound to recognize by parlimentry rules). That is what led to the outburst.
Yeah it's pretty funny the 71-year old Stark was willing to throw down and take on all the Republicans in the committee with no backup. :D Too bad none of the "fruitcakes" met his challenge. :p

Oh I see...so that makes it okay to use anti-gay slurs...cause he was angry.
rolleye.gif
No, you're a fool since they're hardly anti-gay slurs, as far as drewshin and I are concerned. It's not the fact that he was angry, but that the GOP committee chairman was being an ass, so he stood up for committee rules. He apologized for the playground name-calling in no less than the L.A. Times, but you're blowing it up into something it isn't.

If I call someone a wussy fruit tree, is that an anti-gay slur? Where does it end? You should end your inane argument before you look really silly.

This is what I was really hoping to see. The almightly double standard. :) Republican uses sentence not proven to be true or untrue and there are twenty threads about it full of incensed liberals. Democrat uses terms viewed by most as derrogotory towards gays and same liberals feel it is no big deal...we should just forget about it cause it was nothing at all.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Since when is fruitcake gay? Must have taken a turn there and I missed it. Idcick suckernU why is that a slur? We all know it means ass kisser extreme.

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: SuperTool
The comment was not directed at a homo, so it's not anti-gay. The intent and the context are important.

He was trying to insult him by likening him to something he finds revolting. Using the slurs in a spontaneous moment of pure emotions shows his true feeling which he was tempered enough to conceal.

Can I use the word ni**** as long as it's not directed at a black person. Why don't you try that sometime and see what reaction you get.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Some tards just don't get it. Go ahead and accuse the media of liberal bias if you want to, but I haven't seen a single mainstream media report that slams Stark for anti-gay slurs. But somehow, you claim to be speaking for the majority of Americans.

I guess it's unanimous then; we'll agree to drop it while you're so far ahead on points.

Oh, and I apologize for any derogatory slurs that slipped out in this post; you just can't trust half the dictionary these days and surely I offended somebody out there.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Yes, ni**er, you can use it. I call my white friends ni**ers all the time, and I am white.
As far as Thomas, there is another thread on this board where he cried like a baby during a press conference, so fruitcake, wimp, and c***sucker fits him just fine.
And why does being a wimp make you a homo? Ther are plenty of wimps who aren't homos. Also, women can be c***suckers too. And fruitcake can mean eccentric. Basically these aren't necessarily anti-gay.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Ahhh gays tring to compare thier plight to blacks...Sorry will never wash...Blacks were slaves even in Roman times when Nambla was the order of the day.

Dec 27, 2001
Yes, ni**er, you can use it. I call my white friends ni**ers all the time, and I am white.
As far as Thomas, there is another thread on this board where he cried like a baby during a press conference, so fruitcake, wimp, and c***sucker fits him just fine.
And why does being a wimp make you a homo? Ther are plenty of wimps who aren't homos. Also, women can be c***suckers too. And fruitcake can mean eccentric. Basically these aren't necessarily anti-gay.

Try it infront of a black person tough guy. You and your friends actually use that word with each other? Pathetic.

I didn't say gays were wimps. Stark did. He used it in conjunction with two otehr words commonly used in a derogotory sense towards gays. Apprently the Democratic representative from California thinks gays are wimps.

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Zebo
Ahhh gays tring to compare thier plight to blacks...Sorry will never wash...Blacks were slaves even in Roman times when Nambla was the order of the day.

Bigotry is bigotry.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I think the remarks are wrong, but like Moony I find it humorous how "PC" somehow becomes good when it serves an "Anti-PC" view. This just proves that "PC" is mostly a thigment of certain peoples imagination, there is good taste and bad taste, but no "PC".

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor

Try it infront of a black person tough guy. You and your friends actually use that word with each other? Pathetic.

I didn't say gays were wimps. Stark did. He used it in conjunction with two otehr words commonly used in a derogotory sense towards gays. Apprently the Democratic representative from California thinks gays are wimps.

You are putting words in Stark's mouth. And yes, my friends use that in front of each other, and we have a black friend, and use that in front of him too, and probably called him that a couple times. He doesn't mind that, because he knows we are just messing around. And my german friend calls me jewboy, and I call him nazi too. That's how we are, if it's for giggles and fun, then very little is off limits. It's the intent and context that matters, not words.

zantac

Jun 15, 2003
He never said c0cksucker, and all of the reps in the committee room were laughing at him and provoking him on. Never once did anyone in the week this has been covered, refer to this as 'anti-gay' remarks. Just Fox.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: zantac
He never said c0cksucker, and all of the reps in the committee room were laughing at him and provoking him on. Never once did anyone in the week this has been covered, refer to this as 'anti-gay' remarks. Just Fox.
Saying Bones Smoker, Hair Dresser on Fire, Castro Street Cavalier, Broadway Dancer, Rear Admiral, A Greek, Interior Decortor, Herbert Hoover,Anal Astronaut, A Boy Scout Leader, A Catholic Priest,etc... is not the same as saying C0cksucker,

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
What's more amusing?

The fact that an old geezer used the word ***sucker...or that HOP is so offended by an old geezer using the word ***sucker?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Originally posted by: mantic
Saying Bones Smoker, Hair Dresser on Fire, Castro Street Cavalier, Broadway Dancer, Rear Admiral, A Greek, Interior Decortor, Herbert Hoover,Anal Astronaut, A Boy Scout Leader, A Catholic Priest,etc... is not the same as saying C0cksucker,

But it used to be, although thinking back on the times I've encouraged that kind of behavior I guess it could have had its origins in misogyny.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Words is just words.... why do we have to be so upset over little bitty words... Is there some relationship between the anger quotient for word offenses and battery offenses (being struck)..?

I always thought "fruitcake" was a person who was acting "nutty" or in a manner abnormal but not a sexual preference manner..