California city council votes to remove noose from its logo

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
It's really impressive this hasn't been done any time sooner. I guess better late than never?
Of course some idiot opposed it.

placervillecitylogo.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: jman19 and pmv

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
It's not like they strung up many black folks back in those days...so I really don't get it.

(yes, I DO understand that the noose was used to lynch "them trouble-makin nigras" in the south...but in CA...especially in the gold rush days? Not so much.)

Reactions: pcgeek11

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
It's not like they strung up many black folks back in those days...so I really don't get it.

(yes, I DO understand that the noose was used to lynch "them trouble-makin nigras" in the south...but in CA...especially in the gold rush days? Not so much.)
It's the connotation, it doesn't have to literally be a photograph of the noose used to hang a verifiable black person with.

Besides, you don't live there right? So you shouldn't care?

Reactions: ch33zw1z and pmv

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002

Black folks?

Not as often as Latinos, Native Americans and Asian Americans.

https://www.dukeupress.edu/Lynching-in-the-West

"Accounts of lynching in the United States have primarily focused on violence against African Americans in the South. Ken Gonzales-Day reveals racially motivated lynching as a more widespread practice. His research uncovered 350 instances of lynching that occurred in the state of California between 1850 and 1935."

So.....yeah; probably a wise move to remove the noose.

Reactions: Muse
Nov 8, 2012
Black folks?

"Accounts of lynching in the United States have primarily focused on violence against African Americans in the South. Ken Gonzales-Day reveals racially motivated lynching as a more widespread practice. His research uncovered 350 instances of lynching that occurred in the state of California between 1850 and 1935."

So.....yeah.

Yes - but in the oppression olympics, all animals are equal but some are more equal than others.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
It’s unknown exactly when the logo was created, but the city’s manager said they have done research suggesting it dates back to the mid to late 1970s, local NBC affiliate KCRA reported.

"I would like us to keep our noose," countered another. "It's taking away from our history. We need to keep our history. This world right now is taking inch by inch little pieces of our history and throwing it away. If you guys are gonna change anything it needs to come out to the people and the people should be able to vote on it."
City founded in 1854, noose logo only since the mid/late 70s? Yeah, how about you sit down and eat a big bowl of shut the fuck up?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
It's the connotation, it doesn't have to literally be a photograph of the noose used to hang a verifiable black person with.

Besides, you don't live there right? So you shouldn't care?

Nope...I do not, but after living and working in NorCal for 25 years, I do know a couple of people who do.Do I CARE? NOPE...It just seems like political correctnescorrectnes.

Black folks?

Well then...they musta deserved it!
abe.png

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Nope...I do not, but after living and working in NorCal for 25 years, I do know a couple of people who do.Do I CARE? NOPE...It just seems like political correctnescorrectnes.
Dunno, sounds pretty triggered/annoyed/opinionated to me.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

Ignorant boomers are the downfall of this country.
A totally not racist comment made by boomerd and liked by the totally not racist pcgeek11. Good thing they aren’t racist or something. But what’s a little casual ignorant racism? That’s just keeping it real.

Really racist...

Xcobra

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2004
It's hilarious when you translate the name of the city... 'city of pleasure...' Good fucking riddance

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
For those that didn't bother looking it has nothing to do with race or racist.

The story of old Hangtown really begins at Coloma, where James Marshall built a sawmill on the South Fork of the American River for his employer John Sutter. On January 24, 1848, Marshall discovered flecks of gold in the tail race of the mill, and when the news spread, the great Gold Rush began.

Up ravines and over hills miners and merchants, soldiers and seamen scrambled throughout the area. By the summer of 48, more than a thousand men were working the ground at the new camp, which soon placed Coloma as the initial rendezvous for the Argonauts. But not all the newcomers were interested in gathering their share of the plentiful wealth by such back-breaking labor. Murders and robberies became frequent in isolated camps along the American River, and before long, several merchants and miners had lost their poke of gold at knife point.

After one such crime early in 1849, an impromptu citizens jury met to consider the fate of the three accused. The jury wasted little time reaching a verdict. Then the question was asked, What shall be done with them? Someone shouted, Hang them! The majority were in agreement. And so it was that the first known hanging in the Mother Lode that was carried out. The site was a giant white oak in the corner of hay yard near the center of town. The word spread quickly and Old Dry Diggins soon became known as Hangtown due to several other hangings. (It was called Dry Diggins because the miners had to cart the dry soil down to the running water to wash out the gold). Today, only the tree stump remains, hidden in the cellar of a bar on Main Street in Placerville named -quite aptly - The Hangman's Tree.

Reactions: Bitek

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015

The story of old Hangtown really begins at Coloma, where James Marshall built a sawmill on the South Fork of the American River for his employer John Sutter. On January 24, 1848, Marshall discovered flecks of gold in the tail race of the mill, and when the news spread, the great Gold Rush began.

Up ravines and over hills miners and merchants, soldiers and seamen scrambled throughout the area. By the summer of 48, more than a thousand men were working the ground at the new camp, which soon placed Coloma as the initial rendezvous for the Argonauts. But not all the newcomers were interested in gathering their share of the plentiful wealth by such back-breaking labor. Murders and robberies became frequent in isolated camps along the American River, and before long, several merchants and miners had lost their poke of gold at knife point.

After one such crime early in 1849, an impromptu citizens jury met to consider the fate of the three accused. The jury wasted little time reaching a verdict. Then the question was asked, What shall be done with them? Someone shouted, Hang them! The majority were in agreement. And so it was that the first known hanging in the Mother Lode that was carried out. The site was a giant white oak in the corner of hay yard near the center of town. The word spread quickly and Old Dry Diggins soon became known as Hangtown due to several other hangings. (It was called Dry Diggins because the miners had to cart the dry soil down to the running water to wash out the gold). Today, only the tree stump remains, hidden in the cellar of a bar on Main Street in Placerville named -quite aptly - The Hangman's Tree.
Again, it's the connotation. Yes, it's pretty obvious that a city in CA wasn't well known for racist hangings. It still doesn't mean that it's a bad idea to remove a noose from their city logo, due to present day connotations.

It's the same reason that basically no cultures that the Swaztika was yoinked from still make use of it.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Sure, and it's exactly like how Confederate statues all over the south have nothing to do with the confederacy, because they were placed during the heights of various Civil Rights movements, after Reconstruction, and consecrated specifically with intent to intimidate black residents that dare attempt to vote and fight against Jim Crow and subjugation.

Defending any confederate statue on arguments of "confederate history" is the same sort of silliness.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002

Ok, so let's take this story at face value and the noose history has nothing to do hanging black people, it just refers to town mob lynching three people.

Is this really that much better? Is that the history you want to proudly display on your city logo?

Reactions: feralkid and Pohemi

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I have enough self awareness to know that I tend toward social liberalism but I must admit that I find it difficult to validate a perspective that would think that "Celebrating our lynch mob heritage" would make a good city motto. Also, I spent some time in Placerville last summer. It is not a redneck backwater by any means. It is a gentrified exurb of Sacramento. Median house price = $450-460k, $266/sq ft.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
I believe this is a fairly simple explanation.

It's not entirely clear when exactly the current city logo was created. At Tuesday's meeting, the city manager and other council members said they've done some research on it. They said it's only about 40 years old or so, dating back to the mid-to-late 1970s.

The logo stems from Placerville's Gold Rush history, which the city relies heavily on as a tourist draw.

Prospectors from around the world went to the area hoping to strike it rich, which made it difficult to keep the peace. In 1849, three men were convicted of robbery and murder. To send a message that those crimes would not be tolerated, the men were hung from a tree along what is now Main Street. That is how the city became know as Hangtown, and the nickname has stuck.

Amid national dialogue about racism in the United States, there was increased pressure for the noose to be taken out of the city logo.