Califahnia Garage Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Titan

Golden Member
Oct 15, 1999
Not bad, but they should have a state bake sale to compliment it.

So if the state sells me a car, I have to pay sales tax to the state, right?

It's nice to see government raising money instead of just taking it. In public school, I was forced to be a beggar by my school to raise funds for my class, going on bottle drives and crap like that. Also selling magazines and candy bars. I felt like a pimped child with the school budget getting free labor off my cuteness. Gotta do it if the class wants to go to the zoo.

They should make state workers go and out and sell magazines if they wanna keep their benefits like vacation time.

/The above is only 50% sarcastic

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: Skoorb
It's nice to see government raising money instead of just taking it.
They are raising it by selling things they bought with money that they took.

True, but at least they're not just sitting on it until it's worthless, or just tossing it into landfills (which I'm quite sure happens pretty often).

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
They plan on getting $1M from this, so a whopping 1/25,000 of their budget shortfall. It's not even a tiny blip on the radar screen. It will be enough to pay for a couple dozen state pensions for a year. Good PR, but no meat.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
I agree with you, but still think it's worth doing. When there's no big easy single fix, it doesn't hurt to try lots of little ideas, and it sure beats raising taxes more.

There are some other costs vs benefits here. Putting on the sale obviously costs $, but so does storing/securing/maintaining this stuff if they don't get rid of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.