Calif. High Court: No Mystery to Employee's 'At Will' Contract

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Text

California workers were put on alert by the state Supreme Court on Thursday that at-will jobs are just that: Employers don't need a reason to fire you.

The unanimous ruling is a boon for the business community and clarifies an area of the law that had gotten increasingly murky because of conflicting appellate court opinions in recent years.

"As long as you use the phrase 'at will,' it means at will," overjoyed defense lawyer Robert Mason III said Thursday.

Mason, a San Francisco-based of counsel for L.A.'s Bergman & Dacey, represented Arnold Worldwide Inc., a Los Angeles advertising agency sued for breach of contract by a former vice president and management supervisor, Brook Dore.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Maximus96
employees also don't need a reason to quit...

..I suspect calif.is moving toward a "right to work" state.

bennylong

Platinum Member
Apr 20, 2006
I thought it was always like this? You can quit anytime you want and not give a reason, they can fire you anytime they want and not give a reason.

I have seen quite a few people given 2 hours notice and walked out by 2 security guards.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Good for CA. There is no reason why employers should not have the same rights and freedoms as employees.

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002
Meh.. I'm an 'at will' employee. I understood what it meant when I signed up.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
That's why I laugh at those who pledge loyalty to their employers. The only loyalty you owe is to yourself.

TheAdvocate

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2005
The cost of labor just dropped a buck or two an hour in Cali. That is all this decision is really about.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: TheAdvocate
The cost of labor just dropped a buck or two an hour in Cali. That is all this decision is really about.

What do you mean "dropped a buck or two". I didn't know those illegals made more than a buck or two an hour to begin with.

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
I am an employment lawyer in California (defense only). You would have thought this was clear to begin with, but almost every case I have, even when the person signs an "at-will" agreement, involves a claim of an implied "for cause" clause.

This case alone could help settle three of my cases. ;)

MotionMan

DAGTA

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
That's why I laugh at those who pledge loyalty to their employers. The only loyalty you owe is to yourself.

QFT

Darthvoy

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2004

you can love the man, but the man will never love you back

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
gawd finally. my boss is always pussyfoots and too scared to fire anyone.

zendari

Banned
May 27, 2005
Originally posted by: loki8481
isn't ever state like that? :confused:

Nope, IIRC 10 or 11 states are not. You cannot be fired there without "just cause" as that would be "bad faith".

TheAdvocate

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2005
This, of course, does not make termination on the basis of Title VII protected classes okay, so expect the same people on both sides to continue the same legal manuevering (wrongful terminations by some employers resulting in lawsuits, and frivilous wrongful termination suits by lazy people looking for a quick buck).

Seriously, this settles very little. That's why I made the comment I made. This was really about the employers gaining some of their leverage back so they could decrease wages across the board. I make no judgment in that, it simply is the truth of the situation.

fitzov

Platinum Member
Jan 3, 2004

Is this an issue? At will has always meant there does not need to be a justification for terminating an employee. However, employees still may claim unemployment benefits even if they are fired--then it makes a difference what the reason is.

gsethi

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2002
If the employees dont give any reason and quit the job, then the employers should have that same right also. I had one employee who just did not show up on schedule for ~2-3 days. When I called to enquire about her, she responded that she did not want to work anymore. No notice or anything. Was a tough week scheduling wise.

If the employees feel that they can stiff their employers at the last moment, then employers should be able to do the same to the employees :( Fire anytime without reason....

chambersc

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2005
Originally posted by: MotionMan
I am an employment lawyer in California (defense only). You would have thought this was clear to begin with, but almost every case I have, even when the person signs an "at-will" agreement, involves a claim of an implied "for cause" clause.

MotionMan

Free money for MotionMan!!

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
Originally posted by: chambersc

MotionMan

I wish. I'm on the defense.

MotionMan

chambersc

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2005

MotionMan

MotionMan
So it's one of those "No charge less we win your case?" I'm going to have to remember this when I start my career as a lawyer.

Pikachu

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999

Wow, that would make an interesting poll. Who here, "pledges loyalty" to their employer? Care to guess what the outcome would be? Personally, I've never met anyone who did, and I've been around a while!

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006

MotionMan

MotionMan
So it's one of those "No charge less we win your case?" I'm going to have to remember this when I start my career as a lawyer.

No. I am on the defense,not he Plaintiff's side.

MotionMan