Calibrating a new LCD TV

PatrickCah

Nov 6, 2012
Hi,

I recently purchased a new TV (Samsung UE32EH5000) and I'm trying to optimise the picture settings. It is a budget model so I'm not expecting miracles but I'd like to ensure it performs optimally. It is connected to a media PC exclusively with a blu ray drive and also SD rips.
First and foremost I'm not sure if contrast setting is correct, I have turned it down but shadow detail is not so good. The colours are quite muted compared to PC monitor (HP 24 LP2475w). Do most LCD TVs use the sRGB colour space? The HP monitor is calibrated with a Xrite Eye Display 2. Would it be suitable to calibrate a TV?

Many thanks for your help.

Mfusick

Dec 20, 2010
Sure. Lots of THX movies have a calibration in them. If you own a disc check the begining. Otherwise when you set up mediacenter on your TV- use those settings. They have a calibration mode built in. Or you could download a tool - or get a set up disc like digital video essentials.

I would take a look to see if your running the full greyscale.

0-255 is the scale of PC monitor but many TV's use a shorter scale for the top whites and blacks gets crushed.

This results in white crush or black crush- basically all shades of very dark black get crushed into total black- or same with white.

This causes you not to see for example a wrinkle in a black coat- you just see black.

Improper set contrast and brightness usually effect this too.

Turn your contrast down to 80% and put your brightness on 50%- start with the calibration tools in mediacenter and adjust the settings per instructions.

Do you run HDMI ???

Have you set your mediacenter to output to your intended display?

Mfusick

Dec 20, 2010
Lastly- Try a couple players to see if it is a setting or a codec.

Try VLC. It's free. Play a movie with that and see if the picture is any different. If it is report back and we can help you change the improper settings in your media center.

Do you use Shark007 codecs ?

PatrickCah

Nov 6, 2012
Hi,
Thanks for your help. I'm using Total Media Theatre for blu ray playback and VLC for everything else. The TV is connected by HDMI. Picture is looking a bit better after calibration.